Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To set the stage, I live in western NM where we have not had ANY moisture for 3-1/2 weeks. I'm riding the 1500 to work this morning; it is about 20F, clear skies, the sun is just coming up. I'm running south about 55 on a state road.

Just before I crest a hill that drops into a valley, I see a swirling motion just in front, and in the next second my entire windshield is white!!! :realshocked: That fast, whatever moisture was there condensed and frosted the windscreen. I have a tall Tulsa, so standing and looking over was a challenge. While I ride the road daily and know it well, it was a bit unnerving navigating the curve to the right that is at the crest of the hill. Within about 1/2 mile it cleared enough to see through and then the screen was completely clear after another mile.

So, here's my questions. Has this ever happened to you? What did you do? At that particular spot, there are no shoulders, a steep wall on the right and a good drop off on the left side of the road. If I jump on the brakes, following vehicles may not see me in time as they come over the hill. I did slow down some, but I wasn't about to stop right there.

Are there cleaners or cleaning procedures that may have made this not quite so sudden or complete? I use Pledge to clean the screen, and polish with a clean microfiber to finish.

What do you think? And no one gets to say "Quit riding when it's so cold!" That's the best way to get to work invigorated!

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Do you mean like this?? See Picture below!!

This happened while I was going through Denver area one early April. It was 25 degrees and it started misting on us. That is about 1/4" of ice on the windshield, the cracks are the ice not the windshield.

I'm 6'4" tall so I could look over, with a tall Tulsa you are basically screwed in very cold weather.

We ended up stopping for 3 nights for the weather to warm up enough for the ice to leave the road.

As far as I know there is nothing that will prevent the ice from building up except heat.

The front of the bike you can see in my Avatar, that is from the same day.

Henry

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
That is why whatever windshielf I have, I can always look over it if need be.

·
Just one of the guys
4,833 Posts
I don't ride when it is that cold but have had the same thing happen with moisture quite often. It happens when approaching the top of a hill and the air tempurature change causes condensation. I have not found a way to stop it, I have used Pledge and Plexus both with about the same results.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I've only had ICE like that occur once... My Tulsa completely iced over, while crossing the CA/OR border in winter... it looks like seagulls were p**ping on the windshield as the freezing rain turned to ice... I had to Stand up on the footpegs, to see over the shield, for about 20miles. As with your situation, I was unable to pull over due to lack of shoulder (and 4ft of snow on sides of road), and being surrounded by traffic.

Normally though, I use my "Swiper" Windshield wiper to quickly clear away any accumulating moisture on the front of the shield... 99% of the time, that is sufficient to enable continued travel, giving decent visability.

The Swiper is no longer produced, however (not shown) I have made a copy of it for my 2nd bike using typical parts found in my garage:

·
(Rick Sheeley GWRRA)
659 Posts
Cool!

·
(Rick Sheeley GWRRA)
659 Posts
When I lived in Iowa, we used to always keep a can of "quick defrost" for such emergencies (it was some sort of butyl alcohol).

Here's a couple of ideas, you could keep a small can of the former or maybe a squirt bottle of the latter for such emergenices....

Defroster Spray

De-icing windshield fluid

Of course , you can always use the top of a cassette case to scrape it.... :)

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,695 Posts
Alex,

can you show us pictures with better detail of the slider knob so we can duplicate your effort?

Inside shots of the end clips would be very helpful also.

·
1,566 Posts
Ice? No.
Moisture? Yes.
I didn't really have a problem seeing through the windshield that night until I had a car behind me with those ultra white head lights and one coming at me with the same.
POOF!!! Instant white out.
Once the oncoming car passed I could see again. I also slowed so the one behind me passed too.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
I lowered my windshield this last spring for just this reason. Too see over I just have to sit up sorta straight. I wanna hide from the airborn crap like rain or hail I slouch a tad.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Tulsa was on the bike when it was bought it in Oct. Never had one before and have been trying to decide if I (we) like it or not.
After this incident, I think its time to be looking to replace the windshield with one I can see over AND that may reduce the wind/buffeting on my wife.:stumped:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...can you show us pictures with better detail of the slider knob so we can duplicate your effort? Inside shots of the end clips would be very helpful also.
For the moment, I only have these photos of the Swiper. I'll post later, of the Copy I made... for which the Slider Knob is constructed out of a typical (~1-1/2" dia) plastic bottle cap filled with epoxy; sliding across a guide made of welding rod, and attached to End Clips made of brass sheet. The Knob has a simple bearing made of a brass tube, which slides along the wire rod.

·
Registered
517 Posts
given how dangerous that is I'd either get a shorter windshield or one of the electric WS aftermarket options so you could lower it to look over if need be.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Everyone has their preferences as to the type of windshield they like on their bike. Because of all of the rain I ride in here in the NorthWest I have long ago gravitated to a windshield that I could look over as a mater of self preservation.

I am tall so I have no problem with the OEM windshield even in the top position. I can and do look over the windshield at all times.

I have friends that prefer to look through their screen. Thats ok, but they will not ride when it rains because of the difficulty in seeing through a blurry screen.

A wiper would work in that type of condition but I doubt that it would help much when the temperature is so low that the moisture freezes to the screen. Maybe one of the stick on type of defrosters that some people put on their rear car windows would help keep the screen defrosted/deiced.

If you can't see through the screen and you can't see over it that makes it a very dangerous situation for you to be in.

I'd quickly get off the road.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I don't ride when it is that cold but have had the same thing happen with moisture quite often. It happens when approaching the top of a hill and the air tempurature change causes condensation. I have not found a way to stop it, I have used Pledge and Plexus both with about the same results.
+1 with DougW. It happens to me every spring in a couple of hills/valleys on the same road. When the temp and humidity and dew point are just right, I can leave the shallow valley and start up the hill and WHAM! The windshield fogs over completely in a second. The first time freaked me out. Like you, I had no place to go. At least no good place to go. But I can see over my windshield too, so I have learned to expect it and deal with it. I'm not sure which is worse, not knowing what is going to run over you, or being able to watch it. It's scary sometimes.

Chief

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
I have not had any ice on the windshield but fog so thick you cannot see more than two car lengths PLUS having the windshield fog up was very unnerving one morning. I had to wipe the windshield down on the 1500 and watch the curb a bit. That lasted four miles.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Not uncommon at all. In the mountains as you climb or descend, when a truck or other rig throws slop at you on a wet road, when riding into the sun, lots of times when it's difficult to see through the windshield. That's why I NEVER ride with a windshield I can't easily see over. There's nothing wrong with that high Tulsa screen that cutting it down wouldn't cure. I cut down my new Cee Bailey that I bought for my 1500. I cut my windshields down enough so I can see the road over them about 50-60' in front of me without craning my neck. I really don't see much difference riding behind a low windscreen or one that's higher in rain. The windshield stops most of the stuff but high or low some gets past. I have a drop down face shield on my 3/4 helmet. If it becomes opaque it takes only a second to flip it up.
I had a problem with my OEM Silverwing windshield, helmet buffeting. cold hands and fogging although I could see over it. I installed a Givi Airflow windshield on the scoot, it looks a lot like the Windbender windshield for an 1800. This screen on the scooter works great. No buffeting, the main flow of air goes about three inches above my helmet and outboard of the grips, a nice low screen you can see over with ease and even a slight increase in mileage on the scoot. If I still had the 1800 which had a pretty tired OEM screen I was thinking about going with the Windbender. After the experience with the SW I think it's a good design.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
+1 On the Wind bender have tried a few different types and for me it fits all my needs well. I am sure that there are other types that would improve that vision problem but the versatility is great.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I had a chance this afternoon to see how the slotted windshield worked in the rain and am pleased to say it performed at least as well as the OEM shield. The air flow is channelled pretty strongly between the two pieces of the windshield which seems to move the water up and over more than the old type windshield that allowed the wind to curl behind the rider and allow the rain to hit the back of the screen. It would be nice to see how a windshield like this would work on a GW.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.