Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Randakk said it doesn't help sometimes, did it help you? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

It worked for me on my last Wing. I know it won't work if there is side play in the valves due to wear in the guides or valves themselves, but if they are tight then the seal replacement should work.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Depends on if it is the problem.. valve seals can'tseal worn pistonrings, another source of smoke..

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

If you've got startup smoke that disappears after a few seconds, valve seals won't help. If you have oil usage and no leaks, valve seals will probably cure that if the rest of the engine is sound.

John

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

I have owned brand new '77 and '81 GoldWings. They both would smoke (left side only) on start-up if parked on the sidestand, and they did it from day one out of the crate. Valve guide seals were NOT the problem, piston oil-ring design and the proximity of sump level to cylinder bores were the causes (ie: engineering).

Like sandiegobrass said, age & wear are now oftenadditional causes on the older 'Wings. Generally, oil smoke that seems worse while idling & starting out from stoplights, or during deceleration,might be valve seals mostly.Seemingly constant oil smoke while driving or accelerating would often be from worn rings. Of course, head gasket problems can skew a proper diagnosis at any time...:cool: :waving:

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
imported post

I replace my valve seals with new viton seals. My old seals were brittle. I replaces the seals but also included some other work.

My bike does not smoke on startup anymore unless it is started for very short bursts with the engine is cold from start to start. If the engine warms up to operating temps and then shut off, it will not smoke on the next startup. Before I changed my oil abunch of times and before I put valve seals on it, it would smoke very bad on every startup.

I was told I was wasting my time putting valve seals on it but at this time I am very glad I did. I really think it help in my situation. Hey for $29, I was willing to try it.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

New valve stem seals worked for my GL1100 which would smoke for a few minutes at startup after a few days of non-use, then clear up. It wasn't a heavy smoker and had low miles (I think 26,000) so I was confident the seals were the problem and not piston rings at that low mileage.
The new seals worked and when I sold the Wing a few years later with 47,000 miles, it was still smoke-free.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.