Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have the old style crash bars on my trike and the hoop at the back just has to go since it makes it hard for my feet to rest on the highway pegs. My question is who has cut their old bars, how did you do it and are you happy with the way they turned out?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Almost cut my bars
It happened just the other day
They was getting kind of long
you could have said they were in my way

But I didn't and I wonder why

I feel like letting my pants legs fly...

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

You don't need any engine guards on a trike.

·
751 Posts
imported post

Red Just a thought you might go to a bike salvage yard & look for a set of 99-2000 or you could take off the set alltogether but you want them for the Hyway foot rests I don`t know just my 2 cents worth ! Its your bike But Ive always thought They were on there for a reason or you could trade someone for a set who doesnt like the later style crash gaurds ! Anyway my 2 cents worth !

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I would just take them off but I do want my Highway pegs. The ones I have on here is not in the best shape so I won't be trading them. I was thinking of cutting them just back of the back brace and then maybe putting some endcaps on there. I have checked with the bike yards around here and one one place had one but I was not in the mood to pay $200 for the set.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Almost cut my bars

:D Does it increase your paranoia?

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/wXenEK0h6qg&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

red_bike wrote:
I would just take them off but I do want my Highway pegs. The ones I have on here is not in the best shape so I won't be trading them. I was thinking of cutting them just back of the back brace and then maybe putting some endcaps on there. I have checked with the bike yards around here and one one place had one but I was not in the mood to pay $200 for the set.
If you do cut them, the chrome around the cuts will flake like mad and rust will eat you.

You can paint mask and paint metallic silver there to help with it.
I have the caps i pulled out of my modern style bars. If I can find them (and if they made it through the move) they are very nice caps and would work well for that purpose.

You could also get a machine shop to make you some caps fairly cheap out of say stainless and have them trough the cap head so that the cut section sat down inside a bit. That would protect the ends better from flaking chrome.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Rudy wrote:
Almost cut my bars

:D Does it increase your paranoia?
I think it was because I had the blues for Christmas.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Sorry I didn't get around to answering your PM earlier, Duck, but I was out riding yesterday and didn't get home til after the midnight hour and was back on the road a little after 8 this morning. :? ;)

Now ... to answer your query .... I didn't cut my bars, but I have seen examples of them done - DougW has his cut down for example and another member I met this past summer, but I forget who it was at the moment.

Looks 'OK', especially if you finish it off with either a couple ofchrome end caps, orthe black rubber ones

Maybe he will chime in on the location of the cut, or you can PM him and ask.

Myself, I opted to purchase the newer style guards and replace the older style with them. I like the newer style much better than the original, older style ones.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

Sell / trade the old guards. Some people like to have an old beat up set that they use when taking the ERC class so their good set does not get beat up. Just be truthful about the condition of them.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
imported post

:cheesygrin:cut mine!, absoulutly don't regret it. they always seemed to get in the way. I cut them 3/4" behind the lower mount, matched the top to the bottom. ACE hardware sells both stainless steel and chrome caps that snap in. I haven't had any rust problems in 3 years, but it's pretty dry here.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

red_bike wrote:
...My question is who has cut their old bars, how did you do it and are you happy with the way they turned out?
> I cut two sets so far, both mine and a friend's, and we both Love the improvement!... M-U-C-H easier now to put feet on highway pegs, same as for later year model setup.

They cut quite easily with a hacksaw... followed by minor deburring with dremal tool, and a push-in chrome cap from the plumbing store.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

Alex can you show a picture of the final results? thanks I've been thinking about it or replacing with 99 style.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
imported post

I went through the aggrivation of taking them off my 95 and my 99 to swap them because I liked the older ones and wanted them on the 99. After a lot of work I found out they are not interchangable and had to put them back on the original bikes. The new and the old style do NOT have the same mounting positions.

The local Honda shop could not tell me if there was any difference.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

The new style ones fit on my 92 with no problems/modifications at all! :?

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
imported post

When I tried to mount the 99 bars on the 95 the fairing mounts did not match up. How did you gat that to work?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I never had that problem. Fit was slick, like a glove. :?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.