Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hello

i was reading about the Iridium spark plugs. Has anyone here tried them if so where did you get them?

Old sarge:baffled:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I've used them, love them. Get around 12-15K miles out of them. Available from any auto supply store.

Not knowing what country you're in, you may not have any auto stores.....

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
imported post

Got them in my 1100. Notice no differance in performance. I guess they do last a lot longer then regular plugs?? About 9 bucks apiece!!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,650 Posts
imported post

I did that once or twice in the past with car engines.

The end results were not significant enough for me to continue their use. I'm not even sure that I measured the results so as to be able to compare the difference.

The OEM style plugs last for a long time anyway, and are a lot cheaper.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

Hi from Downunder in NZ.

Have fitted them to my 89 gl1500.

Improved starting, idle and fuel economy.

Fully recommend them.

Also fitted to my friends 86 1200 aspy.
Same results:cool:

Sorry should have added they were NGK's from Gman Industries.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
imported post

I put some in mine over the summer, did not notice any improvment in starting or fuel but I did notice a big improvment in performence. I bought them at a Farm and Fleet store, they are Autolites, $5.00 each.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

I have them in all 3 of our cages...and our old Toro lawn mower...working great. Tried them in my GL1200 ('87) and it felt to me that throttle response & fuel consumption got worse. I Did NOT expect this, and was disappointed even, but I replaced with OEM NGK plugs and they are exactly what THIS bike needed. :action:

Can't explain it. I would certainly not hesitate to try them in yours...but it would be nice if you could gathermileagedata on yours 1st, thenget the same data with the Iridium plugs...then you will know if they helped,and you can share this with us.;):weightlifter::waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I put iridium plugs in an 1100 that was having starting problems and that sure cured it, went from a slow starter to an instant starter. For me they are well worth the extra cost. I know for certain that fine wire spark plugs perform better in an aircraft engine than standard spark plugs mainly for the reason that they will fire at somewhat lower voltage than regular plugs. I've never seen a case where they performed worse than normal plugs as FenderHead posted, doubt that's very common.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

I use them in my 1000 and like them. Seems to start easier.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

I just put some NGK Iridiums from Checker at about $6.00 each in my 1100. Like them so far. Easier starting, better throttle response. Won't have to replace them so soon.

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

Hi All

I've got a set of Iridium plugs in my bike that have now done well over 20k.Still look as good as new,definitely easier starting not so sure about improved fuel consumption and performance though,did seem better when first installed but as with a lot of mods you kinda get used to them after a while and don't notice the difference anymore.

Regards Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.