Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

the napa switch is to small.need to find someone that has used metro fan switch and get good number.about ready to pull my hair out.but thats kind of hard to do since im allready bald:D:D

the napa numberechlin fs130 had to small of a base

alan

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

Information copied/saved from this forum.

GL1100 Aftermarket Thermal Switch. 94 Geo Metro 1.0L thermal switch. BWD, TFS596, 40-5079 $16.95

GL1100 Aftermarket Radiator Hoses. The Napa 7733 will replace both top and bottom radiator hoses.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Do a search on this site on Geo switch. Lots of good info & good comments about putting a relay in the circuit.

·
Registered
819 Posts
imported post

This is the one I used. I purchased it from Advanced Auto parts. They had to special order it. It was for a 94 Geo Metro 1.0 Land I paid $16.95.That was about a year and a half ago.

Peter

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

Peterbylt, your's is the one that I saved the information that I posted above. Just didn't realize that it had been a year and a half ago. I haven't needed the info yet but am thankful that you and othersdetail your "fixes". This forum is great.

Thanks Peterbylt.:clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

i just got my thermo switch from napa.what i need to know is on your jumper wire did yousplice one to orignal plug and one to ground to keep your toggle switch.as back up?want to do it right the first time....the po undone fan plug and wired it straight to the fan??

also thanks for the help:waving::waving:

ALAN

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

Not trying to be a smart guy or anything, but it seems all the trouble finding a switch that will fit and then hooking up different connectors and relays it seems like your better off cutting loose with the cash and getting the correct switch from Honda. It has the right temp specs and terminal ends and you don't have the possibility of one of those makeshift connections failing and cooking your motor. Thats what I did.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
imported post

i personally wouldn't use anything from a GEO not even a switch that would probally break after a week :)don't you guy's have bike shop's or bike scrap yard's, just pick up a used switch.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

I looked around Saturday for a switch at the parts stores and no one had one so I went to the auto salvage yard and got one off of a 93 Geo Metro 1.0L for $5. I removed it myself and cut off the plug to go with it.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
imported post

The fan switch I am using is from Advance auto parts, # BWD TFS591 itried the TFS596 and it was too cool for me, the TFS591 is for the xFI series 94 metro engine. your fan will come on just past the half way mark on your gauge. The fan will kick off too, I like that.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
imported post

I have a question for someone with a good oem fan switch, one that works on their bike, at what point does the fan kick on, on the temp gauge? WhenI got my bike the fan switch wasn't operating so I am unsure of the correct point the fan should kick on, on the oem switch...I would also like to know where the needle is at normal operating temp. The aftermarket switch I got is kicking the fan on just past half way on the gauge, best of all it runs for less than a minute and then kicks off... My needle at normal riding is just under half way mark. thanks

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
imported post

I installed switch from Suzuki Swift 92, I think, which is Geo Metro twin. You have to install relay, because it has relay on the cars, switch is low amps.
It is more work but you don't have to wait 5-10 days

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
imported post

I might have figured out how to repair your oem switch, just under the end temp probe there is a small section, take a small pair of visegrips and loosen it,[dont clamp it too hard because you can knock it out of round, soft metal] take it off and clean the shaft, it sticks because of deposits, the same deposits that gather in your radiator over time, if that rod can't move the switch won't work..clean it out and test..Should work like new..

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
imported post

I know it's nota popular thing to say...and some of you would rather slit your wrists.......but damn people........Saber Cycle's switch works better than OEM......at least in the desert. It has a longer run time than OEM.........with my OEM switch, the fan would cycle on and off constantly in the city in traffic. The Saber Cycle one comes on, but stays on until a much cooler temp is reached. Stopped the constant cycling and lets my bike run at a more consistent temp than the oem one.

And I didn't have to cut a single wire.

Also, if you just don't want to deal with it at all......there are external thermal switches you can buy. You just zip tie it into your rad and wire it in. Be done with it. You'll have to do some searching around to find the temp you need it to run at........but once you do.....never have to worry about the internal one again.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

littlebeaver wrote:
I have a question for someone with a good oem fan switch, one that works on their bike, at what point does the fan kick on, on the temp gauge? WhenI got my bike the fan switch wasn't operating so I am unsure of the correct point the fan should kick on, on the oem switch...I would also like to know where the needle is at normal operating temp. The aftermarket switch I got is kicking the fan on just past half way on the gauge, best of all it runs for less than a minute and then kicks off... My needle at normal riding is just under half way mark. thanks
:)i have the same temp gage reading with my 83. its oem parts used.:action:

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
imported post

I ended up making my own plugin ha ha...It's been on the bike now for some time...Here's a photo...It hasn't been cleaned up yet in this photo, I put two copper post inside the two post you see in this photo that fit the holes in the rubber covered plug,copper wires aremaking contact below at the base,,,filled it with JB weld..direct plug now..Still works just as it did the day I put it in..:smiler:I tested it and it works great..so that's why I am posting this...J. b.Weld is a insulator, you could use just plain owe epoxy I'm sure..But I know the weld stuff can handle the heat..fun project..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
imported post

:applause:I haven't put mine in yet, I'll have to look into doing that!! Just wondering when does she kick in and off? I have an 81GL!! Later Bob

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
imported post

Hey Bob, just over the halfway mark I'll call it 5/8's, it comes on every single time, and it usually cycles on when I'm sitting at lights in the hotter months, runs about a minute then shuts off...it's never reached the 3/4 mark on the gauge....perfect....some of these aftermarket switches come on way to soon, below wayhalfway is too soon, I got one once that kicked on below the half mark and it was running constantly in the summer months, don't want that, or need that..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.