Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Are you the oldest? Youngest Goldwing owner on this forum?

• I am less than 18 years old.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am between 18-21 years old.

• I am between 30-35 years old.

• I am between 36-45 years old.

• I am between 46-55 years old.

• I am between 63-70 years old.

• I am between 71-75 years old.

• I am older than 75 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

It seems that there is and always has been a stereotype about goldwing owners, or from some people "oldwing" owners. The stereotype being that goldwings are for the older and retired motorcyle enthusiast. Is it true? Whether iy is or isn't, it certainly won't sway my opinion or love for the goldwing. I wish I would have bought one when I was 25. But that would have made me smart in my youth. I have added a poll for statistical analysis so please don't fool around. Select only your actual age range.

Then please add a post with your actual age and include the age you were when you first owned a gold wing and explain what made your decision to be a Goldwinger and not a Harley zinger. Most people in my town ride Harleys, including my girlfriend's entire family, so I'm somewhat of an outcast. But I could care less what anyone else thinks. I have my reasons for going gold and not orange and black!

I'll start it off. I am 44 years old and I bought my current, and very first, goldwing last spring (2011) at age 43. The reason for buying a goldwing is multiple...

1. I wanted a smooth comfortable ride for me and my passenger.

2. I wanted something classy that was rich with features.

3. I wanted something reliable (This is my 3rd Honda and I think they are extremely reliable).

4. I wanted something affordable (Used Harleys are quite pricey).

5. I don't care much for the group of people who ride Harleys. (I am not predjudice against anyone, but I find most Harley owners to be arrogant, wannabee, regular drinkers or pot smokers, and overall, not the kind of crowd I wanna associate with). At least in my town this is mostly the case. But I do know some Harley owners who are some of the greatest people on the earth.

*Now why did I add all this opinionated flim flam about Harley owners as number 5 on my list? Because it seems for some odd reason, Harley and Goldwing owners appear to be in direct competition with each other. Sometimes you can even see that in some of the posts on this forum. And why do I say for some "odd" reason? Because in my opinion, these two kinds of motorcycles could not be any further apart in similarity.

So sound off my dear winger cronies. I wanna know your age and your story and I'm certain that most of us on this forum want to know also but were just to afraid to ask...

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Bought my first Goldwing in May of '79. I was 21.

My son rides the Valkyrie. He's 23. Had they hadValks in '79 I might never have gotten a Wing. They're purrrrrrty!

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

wpgfire wrote:
Bought my first Goldwing in May of '79. I was 21.

My son rides the Valkyrie. He's 23. Had they hadValks in '79 I might never have gotten a Wing. They're purrrrrrty!
The Valkyrie is an amazing machine and one beautiful bike. Its interesting that Honda chose to refer the Valk as a GL1500 also. Why not VL1500 or something else? It sure would have made my eBay parts search easier. LOL!

That's awesome that you were a young winger. You are what some may consider a Goldwing Rebel. Especially considering that the very first Goldwing was produced just 4 years before you bought your first one. RIGHT ON! Thanks for your input!

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

What??? I'm the youngest so far???

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

Purchased my first Goldwing in 1981 I was 29 years old. My wife wanted to ride with me. Butshe refused to ride long distance on my BMW. So Bought the GL1100 we put a lot of miles on it.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

Wanted my first one back in 1991 (26 years old at the time), but wife stood in my way :needahug: Does that count?

BTW, she finally caved last year and I bought an 83 GL1100 Interstate (at age 44.5) - Funny, I graduated high school in 83.....:cheers:

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

Bought the wing when I was 48. Was planning to do a lot of riding. Wife was good as long as she would be comfortable. Enuff said :action::action:

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Got my wing back in 09 ish, I think....:?Honestly I can't remember the exact date, just that it was late summer when I got it.

I just turned 43 and have always wanted a bike. My mom and dad wouldn't think of letting their kids get a bike. My older brother (the rebel) got a Nighthawk and that was his only source of transportation and the bug hit and stuck. I always knew I would have a bike and why not the best.... After a smaller bike (Suzuki Marauder) and one of the most uncomfortable seats I have ever come across, it was time to take the leap and get what I wanted....... a Goldwing...... It took me a couple years and much searching but I got what I wanted and boy am I happy.......:applause::applause::applause:

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
imported post

I got mine in 79 ,I was 27 and I bought it because it was the only one I could get financed at the time.I got turn down from all the other dealers, and I still ride it

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
imported post

Got mine a couple years ago... was 25 when I got it 27 now (and voted) so youngest wing rider so far on here

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
imported post

theuglycamel wrote:
What??? I'm the youngest so far???
Hope that makes you feel better M8. :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
imported post

My son rides one. He's 24.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
imported post

And he isn't on this thread Whats'a matter with you?

Dang that makes me feel better

·
Registered
384 Posts
imported post

My son started riding his 1984 when he was 20 -

By the end of the year I'll be 73 years old - and planning on stopping riding one day! I started riding in 1954. First Wing was a 1982 Interstate.

I wanted a smooth riding touring bike with room for the wife. We have ridden in all continental United States and 7 Canadian Provinces.

Alaska was our top of the world adventure in 2006with 49 days on the road.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Wow, great stories guys. Keep them coming. From analyzing the poll thus far, it appears that the 46-62 age range is the most common for GW riders:

1 I am less than 18 years old. 0 (0.00%)
2 I am between 18-21 years old. 0 (0.00%)
3 I am between 22-29 years old. 1 (2.27%)
4 I am between 30-35 years old. 1 (2.27%)
5 I am between 36-45 years old. 6 (13.64%)
6 I am between 46-55 years old. 14 (31.82%)
7 I am between 56-62 years old. 13 (29.55%)
8 I am between 63-70 years old. 8 (18.18%)
9 I am between 71-75 years old. 1 (2.27%)
10 I am older than 75 years old. 0 (0.00%)
44 votes

Is it because at that age we've finally become wiser? Again, I liked all the stories but so far my favorite is from Rick Ragman who waited 18.5 years to own one and then bought the model year of his HS graduating class. That really epitomizes keeping the dream alive. You've got one tough wife there my friend. Did you finally buy her that diamond ring she always wanted? LOL!

Look forward to reading more.

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

First goldwing 45 ,10 years later91 Harley trike project

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
imported post

I fell in love with the wing the very first time I saw one right after they came out. Had a few other bikes before I could get my first wing in 2006. It was an '84 Aspencade that had been rode hard and put away wet - I considered it my "leraner" bike as if I did happen to go down it was already rough looking so I wouldn't feel too bad about dinging it up some. Never did drop that one. In 2008 I got my '95 1500 with 6400 miles on it. She now has almost 64,000 miles on her is is our sanity blanket. Love to ride.

Oh, yeah, I'm 60.

·
Registered
384 Posts
imported post

:thumbsup:Looks like there are 2 of us that are in the 70+ bracket! :action:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.