Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm a long term rider and have quite a collection of riding and track leathers - Vanson, AGV, Dianese, etc. None of it is suitable for touring.I live in South Texas where 100F days are common. We are planning a trip to Yellowstone in the late spring - expectingsome days in the 40s. Two weeks straight on the bike in springtime and I'm sure we will get wet several times. So. what do the olds hats here suggest and why?

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

if i were to buy a new outfit ---i would look at TOUR MASTER brand . lots of good stuff . the out fit i have is 20 some years old and yeah its old and needs replacement . but its still doing its job . yep---TOUR MASTER 2 peace--jacket & panits.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

First thing............... Welcome to the forum:waving:

Your going to get all kinds of opinions here,,,,,,,,, all good. But untill then, you can start looking at the brands out there.

Tour Master,,,,,, Joe Rocket,,,,, umm, can't think of the others,,,,, but doing a little self research helps. I have a Tour Master Transition Jacket with removable liner. Vents for more air. It's not for the hot weather thats for sure, but I was glad to have it when I got into the Rocky Mountains:) and rain in Kansas.

Happy shopping

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I have a couple rider friends who swear by Olympia or Olympic, can't remember which is correct. They say they fit better and are more comfortable than others they have tried. There are too many great brands to try to choose which one is best. Depends on the fit and the area where you ride mostly.

Bernie

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Me & Olive Oyl have tried on most brands. We never once found a 'brand' that worked for both of us, just like helmets.

Maybe consider the ones that fit best [if they aren't comfortable, they just won't get worn] ....then go by features.... zip-out liners, [waterproof liners + heat] air breathing mesh, armor, etc.

Make very sure they are comfortable while sitting on the bike.

Also, is color. Some like to match their bike, while others look for reflective colors, like 'silver' to reflect heat in the day and light at night.

Oliveended up with FieldSheer/ Silver & loves it up to 95* & then it has to come off, unless we're on the x-way with no stops.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum!

I just got a new Olympia Airglide 2 jacket and pants. Both have liners that come out, leaving you with a mesh outer layer. The liners are water and wind proof and very light weight. The fit is very nice and I am very happy with the quality. I just got a new job and now drive about 40 miles each way to work, and I love to ride. Here is the Dallas/Ft Worth area it still gets pretty cold in the morning some days, 32 degrees the other morning at 70 on the freeway and I was nice and warm. (Just a short sleeve t-shirt and nothing extra under the pants.) Rode home the other day without the liners in 80 degrees and it was very comfortable.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the input guys - I knew I'd find someone with an opinion. What model of Tour Master is recommended?

Big Kahuna that is exactly the FHE information I was looking for. I had considered the Airglide 2 as a likely candidate.

Know an Olympicdealer with good service and prices?

Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

TripleDuck,

I got mine at Maxim Honda in Plano, TX, the same place I bought my Wing from last year. I went to several shops around and looked at the different styles, but I like the fit of the Olympia stuff. I then went and checked online (lot's of BMW dealers carry this stuff) and everybody was selling for retail, $219 for the jacket and $189 for the pants. Maxim usually provides 10% off for those who have bought bikes from them, but they had a special when I went back to buy and I got 20% off.

You might find a deal online, but I didn't want to wait and 20% was pretty good.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

The gear one selects has a lot to due with personal fit, cost and choice. For me Tourmaster has provided what we want. Other companies also make fine all around gear.
We have the Tourmaster Intake jackets. They are ventilated mash for hot days and work good with evaporitive vests in our hot dry summers. The Intake also has two inner liners. One for warmth and the other is rain proof. This jacket with a good windbreaker over it all, works well in even the mid 30's F cold. For pants we just wear lined leather chaps... with long-johns if necessary. I also have heated gear for the really frosty temps.
The key for us is to have one set of good all weather gear for touring, without having to pack away a lot of extra riding overclothing.
So other than the Intake Jacket and chaps... all we pack for all weather touring is rain suits, good but thin windbreakers, heated vest and evap. cooling vests. With these, we are good to go!

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

I've got the Tourmaster Solution mesh jacket with removable rain and cold weather liner, Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants with removable rain liner and cooling strip.

Tourmaster is great gear for the money but I've become enamored with the Olympia and First Gear equipment. I think the quality is better but at a higher cost. One great benefit of these jackets is that you can wear the rain or cold weather liner without the jacket and that means you get double use out of your gear and can use the extra space for souveniers - or more t-shirts. ;)

It's important to get the right size and I've had poor luck ordering from the web by size or size chart. For that reason I tend to go to dealers where I can try the gear on and sit on the bike [that's how I learned that I needed extra long riding pants]. Then I can shop for the best deal but generally give the nod to the dealer as reward for having the gear to try on provided the pricing isn't excessive.

Riding if Florida may not be as hot as the southwest but the humidity here will hurt you, so being cool and protected is a priority. Mesh seems to be the only thing that'll do that [which is why my Spidi H20 3/4 jacket is in the back of the closet] and seems to do so much better than fabric.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

" Who makes the best touring gear(jacket/pants etc) " The company that makes the best fitting touring jacket/pants ! That way, you'll wear them! :grinner: Best thing to do, is go to as many 'brick n mortar' stores and try on as many different brands/models that you can and either straddle a saddle there, or crouch down and try simulating your 'riding position', to see how well they fit. There is a lot of good protective equipment being made by a lot of different companiesout there now. Do they ride up, restrict movement, have an annoying zipper placement somewhere that is going to rattle on your skin/chin or otherwise bother you? Can you slip in/out of them easily? Are the sleeves/legs too long/short. Buttons/snaps a pain to do up/undue? Does the protective armour fit you right. These are a few of the things to think about and try out, if possible. I find that witha traditional '3/4' length jacket, the back /rear portion of it tends to 'ride up' due to 'resting' on the rear 'bucket' portion of the seat, creating a bit of a draft and you'll find yourself wanting to tug it down, distracting you while in the process.I like the more traditional 'waist' jacket. If the local dealer is too expensive(most are pretty competitive), you might want to do a search online to see if you can geta better deal. Most dealers for certain manufacturers, are pretty restricted/ with what they have to charge you, in order to carry that product line.(the manufacturers, set a 'minimum' price that the dealers have to abide by). If the difference is only a few buck, I tend to patronize the 'brick n mortar' dealer, to keep him in business. Usually have very good 'after sales'service. As to what type of gear to buy, here's my take on it, if I were to buy again, based on my experiences. A lot of riders have ended up buying a number of different jackets to ride in certain/differing temps/conditions. I think below would save you making that mistake 1st off, get yourselves a good 2 piece rain suit each. Although most riding jackets/pants are claimed to be"water proof/breatable"(some are just 'water resistant'), when subjected to hours of rain, the nylon facing material will absorb a certain amount of water and 'wet out', reducing the'breathabillity' aspect of the garment and will also weigh more.Remember, when sizing them, they fit over top ofyour riding gear. I would look for a 2 piece set(more versatile) something with a long zipper on the pants cuff, to allow slipping on, over your riding boots. A rain suit should also be 'wind proof' and thus adds an extra 'buffer' against cold. A set I would not hesitate to recommend is the Road Toad by Fogg Toggs. Even comes with it's own stuff sac. I would get an Armour LinkNylon Mesh Jacket, as you live in Texas, where high temps are 'the norm'and they are the 'coolest', most ventilating jacket you can buy. The other types of jackets will be too warm to use, except in the shoulder/winter season. Although most are 'vented' to some degree, with the winshield/fairing that we have on our bikes, offering pretty good protection, there isn't enough 'direct' airflowfor these to work very well I would skip purchasing the type of mesh jacketwhere thezip out insulating/waterproof liner is included in the price of the jacket.(Reason below)I'd look for a jacket that sells them separately, as an option, or not at all. The jacket will be less expensive without it and they(zip out liners)are fairly difficult/time consuming to reinstall. Look for the same thing in a full mesh pant, if possible. Remember to leave a little bit of layering space underneath both items, when you try them on/order them. Now, if you plan to ride fairly extensively in cold weather, or in areas that are prone to cool temps(northern latitude/high altitudes) during the shoulder /winter season a lot, then I would suggest you look into some electrically heated liners. I think that Tour Master has the most economical set of heated liners out there, as they come with the digital heat controller included with the price. All others, it's an expensive accessory. Put them on and plug them in when you need 'em and store them in your bags when you don't. This way, you don't need layers and layers of extra clothing to be carted around/worn. The jacket liner can also subsitute as an 'around town' jacket, when off the bike or at the campground. Word of warning - make sure you bike's electrical system(alternator output/battery)is up to the task of powering them, especiallyif you have lots of other poweredaccessories/lights. You might need to install a HO alternator/battery(Compufire) to handle the extra load. As an alternative, If travel in cool/cold weather is only an 'occasional hazard' for you, then a pair of fleece pants/top worn under your gear, would be an economical alternative, when used in conjunction with your rain suit, used as a 'wind suit' Electrically heatedhand grips are commonlyinstalled to keep your hands warm, but if it is quite cold and you are riding a long distance, you'll find the backs of your hands getting cold. Some will wear a 'mitt' or install a pair of Hippo Hands (just one brand)to protect their hands, or a combination of all. Gloves are a matter of 'personal preference' and can also be electrically heated, as well. HTH Dusty

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
imported post

hi,

just brought a mesh TOUR MASTER jacket last year am very happy with it. lightweight waterproof. but i try on about 5 or 6 different brands before i brought the tour master. its almost like buying a helmet try it on before you buy. what every feels good.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Dubswing wrote:
I have a couple rider friends who swear by Olympia or Olympic, can't remember which is correct. They say they fit better and are more comfortable than others they have tried. There are too many great brands to try to choose which one is best. Depends on the fit and the area where you ride mostly.

Bernie
I currently use an Olympia Moto Sports vented and padded jacket made with Scotchlite reflictive material. It's light weight and well vented. Here in Fl in the summer during the day i't off but I put it on at night. It comes with a sip-in liner that stops water but allows mosture to go through. Heavy summer rains down here require good rain suits anyway but the Olympia is functional. For pants i't mostly jeans, but I do wear Joe Rocket padded pants.

Check out the Olympia site.

Longboater,

·
Premium Member
62,988 Posts
imported post

I have the Olympia jacket.. Very comfortable, liner comes out easy.. Best of all is the color and the way it glows a night.. I have to admit the liner isn't the warmest.. I have another liner when it's real cold, 45 to 50 degrees.....

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thanks all for the input. The level of detail and evidence was great! It looks like Tour Master and Olympia are hands down favorites and I will be checking them out.

I probably have $5K in leathers and $3K in helments in the closet now. Just for one reason or another (many reasons were mentioned above) they are not real suitable for touring.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

My wife and I have the Tourmaster Transition pants and jackets and really like them. We wear the pants all year; but switch to only mesh (with armour) from Joe Rocket in the heat of the summer--anything over 80 or so.

Edit: Try www.newenough.com for a lot of different choices, reasonable prices and good service.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
imported post

I have a Tourmaster Transition Series II jacket. For the price (I paid 140)it is a nice jacket. I saw other jackets that were very similar, but cost around 260 to 300. It has zip out liner, lots of vents, armour, tons of pockets, comes in different colors.

I also have the HT II Textile Overpants (162.00) the full length zippers are nice. I bought them in the extra long so they are just right when sitting on the bike, even with low quarter hiking shoes.They also have removable armour.

I agree with Copilot, checkout NewEnough.com (don't let the name fool you, they sell new stuff). They had the best prices and the shipping was free. Quick service.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

My wife and I have the Tourmaster Intake Air Jackets--hers is the Intake Air 2 and mine is the original. They are as close as I've come to an all weather jacket. On the GW it doesn't make as much difference, but on my Ninja I have zero problems with it blowing and puffing, so it never flaps on me. I would buy one again in a heart beat, with the added plus that I'll actually wear it in hot weather (don't know if I could do it at 100 though). It has a winter zipout liner, a wind and rain-proof zipout liner, and a mesh outer shell with removable armor if you so desire. A damp tee shirt and the mesh shell is about cooler in hot weatherAS LONG AS you're moving. At a stop, it's just hot period.

Frankly, I haven't worn a pair of riding pants that I like yet. Every one of them have their drawbacks to me, so I'm still lookiing.

Oh, yeah, I'm a cheapskate also, unwilling to pay for some company boss' vacation, and the Air Intake 2 jacket athttp://www.motorcycle-superstore.com is only $152, with free shipping. They work with you if youhave a size issue, too. You don't have to call and beg them to get them to do it either. One jacket, 3 1/2 seasons.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

TripleDuck:
Several here like myself wear the Olympia Airglide for warm/hot weather. Foodman is correct its not a coldweather jacket unless you add another layer underneath the insulated liner. I ride down into the mid 20's here in Fort Worth as long as there is no precip. But I dont use the Airglide when it gets that cold. ALL the Tourmaster stuff is good too, quality is up there with the Olympia or vice versa. I have a Tourmaster Cortech Range Denim jacket that works better when temps drop below 45 or so. Its not water proof but then if its raining would just put the frogs on. I do not deliberately ride in the rain. The Tourmaster Transition II a buddy of mine has and would choose it as a cooler weather waterproof jacket for this time of year here or in cooler summer climates. The Airglide shines when temps go over 95 and you use a Miracool Evaporative cooling vest where the humidity is below 60% or so.

The airglide overpants are great in hot or cold temps. Easy to put on with boots too.
Zippers for the pants and liner zip to the waist so removing boots and shoes is not
necessary.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.