Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of posts across the internet related to navigation, favorite means, features, dislikes, etc.

I have 2 Garmins that I tend to use as toys. I have a GPS antenna that plugs into the USB of my laptop and works with the program (MS Streets) that turns the laptop into a reallybig GPS.

But I grew up looking at MAPS (folding maps from several states or Rand McNally's Atlas) & reading books. I have a map collection too ... that goes way back, I can find stuff on them that no longer even exist in real life, and I can find "where" it was. I still do what I've always done before a trip ... or the next day's leg of trip, I sit down with a map or atlas and I study it, often using magnification even so that when done, I don't need no GPS ... my mind is then my GPS. I can know the road from here to there and know it's features in a thought without taking a hand off the wheel or grip. It was perusing maps that has shown me many interesting roadside attractions, monuments, places I wanted to see that I had forgotten, places I didn't know were near, IOWs ..."the lay of the land".

I can't show you a GPS view of 1910 roadways, but I can pull out a map of them, I can use the map to find and visit. I can use a map to plan with notes. I can use old maps to relive a trip.

Maps are a durable history, the updates are newer maps but you get to keep the old one and any notes … if GPS updates, you loose the old one.

Yeah, I like and use maps, I use GPS just for play.

·
Administrator
58,404 Posts
That's a bit beyond what I do....
I have old maps, they get crumpled and lost.
and the print is so tiny, that for me, it is totally unusable anyway.

So, my 17" laptop screen, or my desktop's 24" screen becomes my map planning assistant.
I use Google Maps, as all the other maps versions IMO are useless pieces of crap.

I figure out where I want to go, pick a location and get the lat/long if no address is available, make up a document with that info.

then I get the Garmin 2797 into my hands and 'find' each location, and then save it into Favorites/Recently Saved and then with my Trip Preplanning laid out in front of me, I figure out where to tell the GPS to go....

I am a gawker, I want to see the sights, so I miss road signs with regularity.
therefore, the GPS is my friend.

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts
I get it. I don't like GPS, I have one but almost refuse to use it. I love to confuse it by going the way I want to go. I have gone a lot of places by just looking at a map before hand and always got there just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
I alway get there sooner or later. Especially if my destination is not a precise location. I dont mind using computer maps. I used to have maps for 6-7 counties in NJ when I was an electrical contractor.
I bought a GPS long before the average people knew what it was ( motorola) it did not have roads or streets but you could put in coordinates and it would show you the direction where the point is and how far, as the bird flies.
I used it in one of the California trips and my wife was mad at it and saying it was for the airplane use as a car could not go in a straight line. Paid $460 for it back then.
In an airplane the captain approached me and asked me what was that. I told him and he politely asked me to not use it. I told him I wouldn't have if it was written in the article not to use. Its too new was his reply.
It was obsolete in no time.

·
Administrator
58,404 Posts
Peter,
I still have my very first GPS.
It is a Garmin, and like yours, you entered the coordinates, or the suedonyms for the Airports and it drew a straight line to that point...
I used it for a lot of things, it had "Walking Mode" on it for hikers, it would drop Bread Crumbs so you could find your way back, when a straight line would be useless.
It still works, but the power cord receptacle broke... :(

By today's standards, it is a joke, but it works.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I'm with CrystalPistol on this, there's no GPS on the bike or in my cars, I have a Rand-McNally US road atlas I throw in the saddlebag along with a "Colorado Gazetteer" - 'nuther atlas same size as a Rand-McNally just for Colorado, really drills down into detail for the state. I like to study the map and plan my route that way, committing it to memory. A change in plans affords an opportunity to take a break and bust out the Rand-McNally again. And I've been known to buy a good-ol' Foldy-Map of a destination state for greater detail.

This isn't to say I won't use the maps app in the iPhone, "Siri, Find me a Walmart", but even then I study the route and put the phone away, don't need or want "Turn Left in 500 feet".

That said, there IS one situation where I do actively use GPS, that's when I'm "Rock-Hopping" up in the Nat'l Forests with the Jeep. I have a nice set of National Forest Service geolocated MVUM maps (Motor Vehicle Use Maps) downloaded to both the iPhone and now an 8" Samsung tablet I got for Christmas a year ago. Using GPS on the Forest Service 4WD Access roads is a MUST. The little blue dot on those maps is indispensible. I have a suction cup windshield mount I used for the iPhone, but the 8" Tablet taped down to the center console is much nicer. The phone is a good backup though. Also used to have a set of foldy printed maps to study, but they got wet and I've yet to replace them.

The Forest Service actually had a couple Rangers stationed at the entrance to Medicine Bow forest in Wyoming when we went there in 2017 ago to enjoy TOTAL eclipse. They were greeting visitors and giving out Foldy MVUMs. I had already downloaded the MVUM for the phone but was glad to have the paper copy. The total eclipse was a "Bucket List" experience, good to have an opportunity so close. We chose the forest to avoid the ridiculous crowds and traffic (plus lack of camping/lodging) expected along I-25, and thanks to the MVUM we found a nice place to camp in an "Dispersed Camping" area . This is essentially a stretch of the road where it's permissible to pull off anywhere you like and set up camp. And it's FREE. We were at least 100 miles from ANYWHERE! Not surprisingly though, there were a good number of people that had the same idea we did, and that deep into the forest was probably the busiest it has ever been. I took two videos of the eclipse, a time-lapse and a 20 min video in real time. On the real-time video you can hear a round of cheers raising up from deep in the forest when the sun went out! We liked it so much there we stayed three days! Sadly, there were fire restrictions in place then and no campfires....

I'll share some photos, I guess they fit the thread since they are Camping courtesy of GPS....

IMG_0796.JPG

Lights and Stereo power courtesy big Marine deep-cycle battery and inverter.

Almost total eclipse (very dark!)

Totality!

Crescent Shadows, 90% Eclipsed.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I like both. I use a paper map to plan out my trip. I carry an atlas with me just in case I need to change my route mid trip to work around road closures.

I will plan out a long multi day trip on my computer. I plan out two week trips like this. Like a map, I plan out the roads that I want to go on, not what the GPS thinks I should go on. I can plan out the mileage that I want to ride for the day and things I want to stop and see. I can find a campground before hand that I want to stay at and make a reservation. Very helpful on busy holiday weekends to make sure I get a site. I always leave extra time each day so I can stop and see something that I did not know was there. I plan out each day and download it in GPS. Each day, I just pull up that file and I am ready to go for the day. No need to have to remember a bunch of turns on roads that I don't know. I also use it to find places to eat in towns that I don't know. Pull up the list, find what I want, and hit go. No searching around.

I like knowing a half mile ahead that I need to make a turn. Not missing it because I did not see the sign and then try to find a place to turn around in busy traffic.

Like a map, the GPS is a navigation tool. Like a map, you just have to learn how to use it correctly.

·
Administrator
58,404 Posts
My favorite part of traveling with a GPS, is being able to see the Twisties up front, and know which way the road is going to turn.

that is why I use a 7" screen GPS, I want to get a large overall view of the road ahead.

and, ever since my vehicle accident back in 2008, I go right past the turn off to roads that I intended to go on... the GPS tells in advance that I need to turn ..........
That accident killed my short term memory, and didn't help my long term memory so much either.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yup, That's the way to do it right! I've started a day saying "Let's go that-a-way" and then spend half the day deliberately trying to get us hopelessly lost! The other half reserved for getting back "home" (campsite)... :D

·
Steve
439 Posts
Never owned a GPS. Never wanted one. I get along fine with the old maps. That for me is part of the trip, researching where you are going and plotting the route. I enjoy doing it that way.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I don't own a dedicated GPS unit either, always pack a Rand-McNalley and I'll usually buy a foldy State map if I'm going to be in that state a while.

I just unholster the phone if I was successful in deliberately getting lost, it will show me where I am and then I can plan a route to get back to camp from there. :D

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
I also am with CrystalPistol. I do have a Garmin and I take it with me on the big Goldwing when on a loooong trip just in case. I find it useful for getting OUT of big cities. Sometimes it's hard to find a freeway ramp. When riding the older bikes, my wife and I use maps only. I do have a tablet that I use for sending emails from McDonald's and for finding and reserving a motel. Back in the day when there weren't so many people, campsites were easy to find - I just looked for triangles on the map. Don't camp anymore but campgrounds and motels fill up so reservations are a must. I still don't have a 'smart' phone and don't want one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts