Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Do you use TIRE BEAD SEALANT (or does your tire installer use it) when mounting a new tire on a decent rim (in good shape - not dented or corroded)? If TIRE BEAD SEALANT is not necessary then I would rather not use it. I am trying to determine if the use of TIRE BEAD SEALANT is a 'common practice' - on an 'unusual practice'. Thanks.

TIRE BEAD SEALANT = The gooey stuff you paint onto your tire bead/rim that helps glue the bead to the rim (not the stuff like slime that runs around inside your tire to help keep air from leaking out of the tread area).

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Never heard of a tire bead sealant before, do you mean the lube to aid in slipping the new tire onto the rim? That is just soap and water.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

I've never had a need for it. After I dis-mount the tire, I take some mineral spirits on a rag and thoroughly clean the bead surface to remove all traces of left over rubber and lubricant used in tire installation. I also take fine sandpaper and sand off any burrs that the tire spoons may have caused. For mounting of the new tire, I use a product called Ruglyde for lubrication. My tires might lose 1 pound of air per two week period and that is probably lost while taking the measurement.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
imported post

In my 30+ years on bikes I have only ever needed to use it once. That was when a new tire just wouldn't seal around the rim (the rim looked good) and lost about 4lb a day. The tire sealant cured it and was not a problem to clean off at the next tire change.
I wouldn't use it routinely though as there is usually no need. I would only use it if I have a sealing problem.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

It is not soap and water.

Here is a link on one manufacturer of TIRE BEAD SEALANT:
http://www.rematiptop.com/parts.php?sid=13

If you search the internet using the term TIRE BEAD SEALANT you will get a lot of ad for this specific product.

I am GUESSING that TIRE BEAD SEALANT is a niche market that is not often used in association with motorcycle tires/rims; however, I am trying to ascertain if my assumption is correct. TIRE BEAD SEALANT seems to pop up on the internet in association with ATVs, Trucks, and farm machinery - not so much with motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks for your posts. You have answered my question. I don't have a need for this product at this time (but maybe if I actually identify a future bead leak).

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
imported post

I install tires at a shop and have rarely had to use tire bead sealant. In most cases, the rim just needs to be cleaned and a small amount of tire lube to aid in getting the tire on and seated. I never use it on new rims unless there is a problem with air leaks around the tire bead. It does not harden like glue. It retains the pliable consistency of rubber cement and is easy to remove with a wire brush. Some shops will use it when they are too lazy to take the time to clean and prep the rim during installation. Tire changing is a lot like painting, it's all in surface preparation.

·
Honda Guru
2,086 Posts
imported post

I've been in the service side of motorcycles for 35 years and have had to rarely use bead sealant. Of the rims I've had to use it on there was always a problem with the bead leaking air. After buffing the rim and even cleaning the tire bead there still was leakage at the bead… then was when I used the tire bead sealant.

I would not recommend it as a 'common practice'. But it's better to use bead sealant than replace the rim.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

i personally would use tire bead sealant to prevent having a problem.

my auto mechanic puts some around the bead of all my tires i've watched him mount even after removing all rush from the rim by hitting it with a die gringer, i have never had rim leaks from a tire he mounted.

my local independent mc shop refuses to use it even it i request it & provide a tube. i had a frontrim on my gl1500 that was slightly dented, i had 3 tires mounted after i noticed the dent & the first 2 i ran for 20k+ with minimal leaking, but the 3rd was down to 10psi in under a week, pumped it up & back down in 2 days so i sprayed woth soap water & found the leak was at the dent. i went back to the shop & informed that i had a bead leak on the tire they had mounted less than 2 weeks earlier & i wanted them to seal it properly & they said it was my problem.

so i went home & put the green "slim" sealant in it & it did the job even though it says it doesn't work on bead leaks.

i'm not planning on going back to that shop, because they screwed me on the last 2 service visits i used them for, so i'm learning how to do more of my own wrenching.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.