Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

On top of the motor with the engine on it's side stand there is a puddle of antifreeze on the right hand side. I was hoping that it was coming from the recover jug but it is not. I'm guessing from the cross over tube under the carbs but it isn't leaking right now. I removed the false tank and let it run a bit but couldn't see a leak. It leaked on the patio after setting a couple of days. Any one else had this problem. :gunhead::baffled:

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

i think it has o-rings at one end of the pipe that will leak when old and cold...i might be wrong from memory....i know it has flange gasket on that end.... easy fix but
on a 1500 they are not an easy fix

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

The crossover tube has o-rings, one on each end. So 4 total on both tubes. Can you grab the tubes when cold and turn them? The o-rings are nearly 28 years old, so I'd say it's time to replace them. A guy on ebay sells the 4 o-rings, and 2 gaskets for around $6 last time I checked.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Check the radiator cap also, the gasket on them wear out and as pressure builds up right after shutting down they will tend to leak a little till they cool off again.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the info. I just went back out there and started it up and let it get hot. Is there a fuse to the fan. I let it get to where it was fixing to red line on the temp gauge and the fan never kicked in so I'm thinking blown fuse but I can't find it.

:?

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
imported post

Hey, No, there's no fuse specific to the fan. You can check the thermo switch/fan operation by jumping the fan wires to battery and ground. If fan works, then the switch could be faulty. Not too bad a fix, but not really cheap. Also, make sure you are full on antifreeze as that could affect switch operation.

My 2 cents!

Todd

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks I'll see what I need to do to find the wires so I can check that . The recovery jug is still at or a bit above the low mark.:?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

The fan has a hot lead going to it then to the thermo switch which completes the circuit to ground. so, check for 12 volts on one side of the thermo switch. If you have power there then use a jumper wire to jump the hot side lead to ground with the ignition on to see if the fan runs. Noe if it runs so far so good. Now trace the green ground wire from the thermos switch to where it joins all the other ground wires in the bundle to see if it's come disconnected somewhere.

After all this checks out then it's time to remove the thermo switch and test it in a boiling pot of water to see if it will complete a circuit. Replace if test bad. You can rig a toggle switch to turn the fan on with until you get the switch replaced.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

The leak that you describe is usually the crossover tube O rings as previously stated. Easy job. Make sure you clean inside the ends.

John

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

I just replaced my o rings on the cross over tubes.
Was able to get the o rings at the local bearing store but be sure to get the gaskets for the flanges at the end. I could only find at honda.

Like stated above a relatively easy job. when cleaning the old gasket I shoved a heavy paper towel in the head cavity and used a shopvac afterwards to be sure.

I drained out about a 1/2 gal of coolant before removing flanges to avoid a expected bath.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

grambo,

You are correct. It also could be coming from a leak in the top of your radiator hose. I just found a needle prick leak in my raditor after a cleaning/flush.

Nightrider1

grambo wrote:
i think it has o-rings at one end of the pipe that will leak when old and cold...i might be wrong from memory....i know it has flange gasket on that end.... easy fix but

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

i just went thru this job on the 15 last year...it was a monster....i didnt have a pressurizer and finished up...found 2 elusive(accessible thank god) leaks by chance....also the orings needed time to seat too...got tired of the coolant smell....but then finnally had a cracked radiator leak cause the poor little rubber pad had gave up ...ha!!...got one on stinkbay for cheap...all good now:clapper:

Nightrider1 wrote:
grambo,

You are correct. It also could be coming from a leak in the top of your radiator hose. I just found a needle prick leak in my raditor after a cleaning/flush.

Nightrider1

grambo wrote:

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

IF you need a replacement switch for the fan go get one for a 84' "Geo Metro" it is a BWD TFS596 and just make two adapters to fit the wireing on the switch. I just tried it on my 81 GL1100 Standard and it works like a charm ! Only cost around $20.00 instead of around $80.00 from Honda.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.