Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Steel discs have sharp edges which shave center aluminum part. Honda changed discs design for 86.
86 discs have twice more teeth.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
imported post

thought I replied to this already must have left out a click. This is an interesting post and first I've heard of this. I will be watching this post. Thanks newbiker!:cooldevil:

edit- btw do you know if an 86 clutch will work in my 84

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

escogold wrote:
thought I replied to this already must have left out a click. This is an interesting post and first I've heard of this. I will be watching this post. Thanks newbiker!:cooldevil:

edit- btw do you know if an 86 clutch will work in my 84
I was thinking if it is possible to replace center part and use 86 discs.
We can check part numbers for outer housing and rest of parts.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
imported post

oh that's right you're running an '84 too. what do you mean by center part. couldn't find that part in my service manual.:cooldevil: hopefully some of the really knowledgeable gearheads will take notice and help out.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
imported post

I see center clutch is the same part number for 84 and 86 but the outer clutch part numbers are not the same.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

I was talking about part 8. I am not sure anymore. I replaced center today to better one and sanded center before installation. It didn't help. Honda guy said to change oil to
Honda oil but I think it will not help. From what I read clutch is likely to slip if wrong oil used, not to drag. Mechanic looked at my center and he said it was not bad enough to cause drag. Guy is 52 and he said he was repairing bikes for 30 years. Bike is still ridable, I will just ride it like it is.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
imported post

"clutch center" is the same part on 84's and 86's. "outer clutch" is different. btw, take anything a Honda rep says with a grain of salt. you'll get honest no bull straight talk from the guys here. i'd imagine you already know that. I didn't realize you were having clutch problems. There are plenty of 84 owners here including me that don't have clutch problems. If they don't pick this up here you might try another post asking for help diagnosing what is wrong. When a guy's Goldwing is having troubles these guys always come through.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.