Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is something that has been annoying me for some time so during this years winter service I decided i would sort it. Yeah ! Easier said than done and I have been at this for hours so suggestions/help would be appreciated.

The rear panniers have never fitted tightly to the rear Fender A (the part that holds the Licence plate). I know that there should be a "channel" but there is also a gap of 1 to 2mm between these parts (hope that the pictures show what I mean). I have checked that the panniers are flat against the side mounting plates and that there are no cables or other objects in the way, but there still remains this gap. There is a bar on the bottom of frame behind Fender A that bolts on and so I could elongate the holes and reduce the width of the rear frame but the bar above it is welded on and so would not help much. The gap is mainly obscured by a chrome licence plate but it's not right and that's no good for me !

Anyone have a similar problems or advice please ?

Attachments

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
Many of them get like that over time Ron. On mine I found it was the panniers subframe flexing and stretching, probably from a combination of loaded panniers and stresses caused by riding. The metal in the subframe is pretty weak and bends easily.
I fixed the issue on mine by gently bending the subframe in on each side. Took a few trial and errors to get it right.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I find that any gap is often removed by installing the rear fender and bags in the following order:

1) Install rear fender, but do not tighten the (2) bolts beneath the license plate, just snug them up instead, so that it can float side-to-side.
2) Install the left and right saddle bags, using only the (2/ea) bolts on the vertical walls of the bags first, then the (2/ea) bolts on the bottom of the bags.
3) The rear fender should now be Centered (and gaps removed) along the edges of it, where it meets the bags.
4) Tighten the remaining (2) bolts to the rear fender.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.