Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well I'm new here, mostly for information.. I'm considering upgrading my Kawasaki 750 set up for sport touring for something my wife will enjoy being on too. The musts are stereo, intercom, and two up comfort. I'm only considering 3 machines the BMW K1200LT, the Honda Goldwing, and the Yamaha Royal Star Venture. I've test driven the Goldwing and the Venture I like them both overall, but they both have somethings about them I don't like. I have driven a friends K1200GT so I know what the engine is like, but obviously the ergonomics is totally different on the LT. I'm looking for any info on how the bikes compare

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Well they are all great bikes in their own way. I guess if speed is your need, than the BMW fits that bill, it was designed for high speed touring on the Autobaun. The Yamaha is a work of beauty as far as I'm concerned, although it is loud compared to the Goldwing and is a little top heavy I understand. The Goldwing set the standard for touring bikes back in 75 and has never looked back. Plus, if you are touring super long distances and pulling a trailer or sidecar, it's nice to have a reverse to help back it up. Thats the only thing I wish my older Wing had that comes on all the newer Wings but doesn't come on any of the other bikes.:D

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

With the Goldwing the six cylinder engine has more torque so there's less shifting. The BMWs feel more top heavy to me and are harder to handle at low speed such as in parking lots. The BMW is more expensive and parts are higher. I have 98,000 miles on my 1993, the engine hasn't been touched except for replacing the alternator as a precautionary effort. Doesn't use a drop of oil between changes. If you want a real good reason to like the Goldwing try riding one in the rain. A rider will stay a hell of a lot dryer on the Wing.

All three are fine bikes, but It'sgoing to be hard to get a real unbiased recommendation on this forum because,

We are Wingmen!:cooler:

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

Of the three bikes, one is clearly a legendary bike. The Beemers are famous, the ventures were good bikes, but dont have the long history.

Theres a reason why Honda sells more bikes than any other manufacturer in the world, even Harley, another legendary bike. Of course, the Wings keep there oil on the inside:goofygrin:.

How many Ventures do you see on the road? How many Wings do you see on the road? Include all years...

I am real fond of my wing. Mine is an 80 gl1100. I can work on it. I like that part. Would give half the family jewels for an '05 yellow gl1800.

Just the simple fact that you are asking questions show that you are a thinker, and you will no doubt be happy with your decision. Good luck.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The Ventures did look really modern, but they suffered from poor build quality and are very top heavy. Can't really comment on a BM, but a toss-up between a Venture and a Goldwing will see the Goldwing win any day. You can pick up a 1983-89 Venture for half the price of a same year Goldwing, and the Goldwing will still be reliable.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I am only qualified to speak of the looks of all three bikes as I haven't ridden the Yam or BMW. Is it just me, or do others think the BMW looks really c**p?

We get very few Ventures over here, I don't think they have ever taken off as a popular tourer, but then the Wing has always been the 1st choice of most touring folks in UK. Maybe it is because if you want a tourer, you mostly have a hankering to eat up some big miles on the continent and they are overall the best for that.

Pete

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

hig4s wrote:
I'm considering upgrading my Kawasaki 750 set up for sport touring for something my wife will enjoy being on too. The musts are stereo, intercom, and two up comfort. I'm only considering 3 machines the BMW K1200LT, the Honda Goldwing, and the Yamaha Royal Star Venture. I've test driven the Goldwing and the Venture I like them both overall, but they both have somethings about them I don't like. I have driven a friends K1200GT so I know what the engine is like, but obviously the ergonomics is totally different on the LT. I'm looking for any info on how the bikes compare
Hey hig4s :waving:Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:My neighbour had the K1200LT before he started buying :15red::18red:and he says the BM is no match for the :18red:this machine has all the qualities that your wife requires, which the other two machines dont have. :crying: Yournot telling us what you dont like about them :stumped:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Redwing wrote:
Hey hig4s :waving:Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:My neighbour had the K1200LT before he started buying :15red::18red:and he says the BM is no match for the :18red:this machine has all the qualities that your wife requires, which the other two machines dont have. :crying: Yournot telling us what you dont like about them :stumped:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

I don't like the looks of the Yamaha, never been a cruiser type of guy, and concerened about what I've heard about problems with Yamaha dealers, both here and elsewhere.

I don't like the fact I have to slide forward on the seatto reach the ground on the GW at a stop, and I find the tall first gear a pain at stops.

And just a note on my taste,, if they put a stereo, intercom, and a trunk on an ST1300, I'd have one already.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

I love my '86 GL1200I, but I have sniffed around a bit at other bikes...just as much from the perspective of having other bikes as much as for any other reason. I think your question is a good one and makes for a difficult choice.

One thing I am noting as I research on the web are some fairly serious claims about quality issues with the GL1800. Now I know the complainers are, statistically, a self-selecting sample but I do sense some underlying problems, nonetheless.

I am a diehard loyal Honda owner. We just retired - only because of a collision - our 1994 Civic with 255,000 miles and NEVER a repair bill, only maintenance items. That car replaced a 1978 Civic that reached 243,000 miles with the same sort of history. I now have a new Maxima because I got tired of "boring" performance and timing belt swapouts. Irealize I'm talking now about cars but I get concerned whenever - under whatever circumstances - I hear the words Honda and quality in the same sentence.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Curt Miller wrote:
I love my '86 GL1200I, but I have sniffed around a bit at other bikes...just as much from the perspective of having other bikes as much as for any other reason. I think your question is a good one and makes for a difficult choice.

One thing I am noting as I research on the web are some fairly serious claims about quality issues with the GL1800. Now I know the complainers are, statistically, a self-selecting sample but I do sense some underlying problems, nonetheless.

I am a diehard loyal Honda owner. We just retired - only because of a collision - our 1994 Civic with 255,000 miles and NEVER a repair bill, only maintenance items. That car replaced a 1978 Civic that reached 243,000 miles with the same sort of history. I now have a new Maxima because I got tired of "boring" performance and timing belt swapouts. Irealize I'm talking now about cars but I get concerned whenever - under whatever circumstances - I hear the words Honda and quality in the same sentence.
I have no problem with you using cars as an example of quality.. I have owned a few Honda motorcycles, and my wife and I are on our 8th Honda car..My son is driving my wifes old98 Civic with 114k miles,, had 3 problems withit andall covered by the factory, one 10k after the warranty was up. No problems at all on the other 7, My wife now drives an 03 Element and I have an 04 Acura TL.I even have a Husqvarna lawn mower and since Husky stopped makine their own small engines it has a Honda engine on it.
As far as the problems, both the GW and the Yamaha RSV havea smallshare of bikes with problems but is seems the guys on the Yamaha boards have a much harder time getting them fixed. The wife and I have decied to go to Biketoberfest in Daytona and test ride two up all three and go from there. But I've decided the if we go for the Yamaha I MUST test drive the actually bike I'm buying or no sale.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

[align=center]GOLDWING[/align]

[align=center]Need we say more?[/align]

[align=center]:baffled: :baffled: :baffled: :baffled: :baffled: :baffled: :baffled:[/align]

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey 1984GL1200A :waving:What did you say. :stumped:Im a little deaf :baffled:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You could as well ask, "Why a Lexus?" or "Why a Rolls?"

:clapper:Because it's the top of it's type! Those other things are just touring bikes.:clapper:

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
imported post

Hig4s

I rode a 01 RS venture for 17000 miles and loved every minute of it. I now own a GL1800 and while both bikes are touring both do it in different ways. I test rode a K1200LT before buying the wing, The BMW is a fine machine and is every bit the bike the GL1800 is, however the engines are very different the BMW is a sports engine, you'll need to rev it to get it to move. The wing has more low end torque. The other thing to remember is BMW has fewer dealers than Honda. If your into long distance touring with a trailer the wing is the better choice, if you do overnighters or just day trips the RS Venture will serve you well. Of course if you just want more smiles per mile the wing is the way to go, think of the wing as luggage with attitude;).

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
imported post

I don't know about the wingmen thing. I am more of a "WINGNUT" both 2 wheeled and the true flying variety.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hawkmoon wrote:
I now own a GL1800. The BMW is a fine machine and is every bit the bike the GL1800.
Hey Hawkmoon :baffled: You must be joking, :grinner:eek:r maybe you took the wrong tablets. :stumped: The K1200LT is not half the bike of the :18red:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.