Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Recently purchased a 04 Gold Wing with a new motortrike kit. Went to see the gentleman who had it for sale and sure enough it was in the garage covered with a tarp where it had been for nearly 18 months. He told me he had only riden it 400 miles during that time and it was always kept out of the weather. The oil and filter had been changed at the dealer prior to him getting it.It was dusty and in need of a serious cleaning so l took her home. After some discussions with some of my GW friends, l decided to change the oil and filter, something l like to do from the start( that way l KNOW when it was last done). Using the forum l finally broke into the air filter chamber (1 1/2 hours later) and this is what greeted me. As you can see, dispite being garage kept a mouse had worked his way up the air intake and set up house keeping on the filter. He chewed about half of it to make a nest used one corner to store dry dog food( which kept him from chewing on wires, thanks god) and the other half as his toilet. The smell was terrible, but the fine screen under the filter prevented any turds from being sucked into th injectors. It now has more power than when l drove her home. CAUTION, just because its been indoors doesn't mean it's been kept up.

disabled rider

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

YEP they do get messey . dont they ?

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Looks about right for 7 years of neglect... :ROFL: :gunhead:

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

That's funny. Glad none of that got down into the engine. When I buy a used bike, I do ALL the maintenance on it, new oil and filter, new air filter, new coolant, new plugs, new brake fluid, and in the case of the GW, new clutch fluid, removed the rear end and cleaned all the parts and lubricated the splines, changed the final drive oil, replaced the timing belts, and went over it from one end to the other looking for anything that might need repairs. In the case of my old '85 1200, I found plenty. I still plan to rebuild all 3 master cylinders, the clutch slave cylinder, and all 3 calipers. This bike was so dirty I've spent about as much on carb cleaner and degreaser as I have on parts.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

heck there was like 1/2 cup of dog food in there as well that l had to vacuum out before attempting to pull the filter. Guy has a bull mastiff dog(biggest dog l ever saw) and fed him in the garage, hense the endless supply of food for mickey mouse.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

Excellent advice to the procrastinators.

(Thanks:ROFL:)

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

being inside most of that is more than likely from mice dammed mice get into everything i hate mices

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

I'm going out to the garage to pet my cat right now ,thanks for the posting

·
Administrator
26,578 Posts
imported post

Yep, put a piece of screen wire over the intake horns. Keeps the rodents out and also helps keep bugs out and keeps the filter cleaner. Hopefully the critter didn't chew any wires. Most of the cars I see with rodent damage are garage kept.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i hate to burst your bubble dave but miccccces can eat through anything putting a piece of screen door screen or anything like that or even a bit thicker stuff over the air filter intakes wont stop them

ive personally seen mice eat throught copper wiring like its chocolate all they will use it for is to sharpen their rodent teeth and use it for nest packing.

mices suck i hate mices i spent 16days re-wiring a 1986 peterbilt that a guy wanted to "restore" it sat in a field for along time and mices at the entire wiring system.

i hate mices i thourghly enjoy watching snakes eat live mices and im outside the cage giving a evil laugh muuuuuuuuuuuhahahaha

best thing you can do is lay down some pellet poision, and pray

·
Administrator
26,578 Posts
imported post

peterbilt wrote:
i hate to burst your bubble dave but miccccces can eat through anything putting a piece of screen door screen or anything like that or even a bit thicker stuff over the air filter intakes wont stop them
Yes I know but maybe it will discourage them enough to go somewhere else. I read once that a rat could chew through solid steel, haven't seen it personally but I don't doubt it.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I used fairly heavy gauge 3/16 hardware mesh, instead of the light "old" air filter screen, in hopes that wouldn't happen. So far, so good.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
imported post

I had a mice nest in my 1200A air filter years ago, fortunantly they had not chewed all the way through.

Now we usually have at least 10-15 outside barn cats. If there is a mouse on one of my bikes now, he should be very nervous...

Cat food is cheaper than wiring harnesses. Well maybe..

I did witness a small mouse walk up onto the porch when the cats were feeding one morning, and it was not pretty...

He must of had one rough night on the town..Just saying..

·
Happy Goldwinger
778 Posts
imported post

Those vermin seem to like air filters, they must make for a cosy bed. Didn't someone here come up with a mesh to stop the mice getting into the filter box?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.