Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!!!!
Riding home on my 1989 1500 SE, trike, I ran into a very light rain. I was doing about 55, and it quit.
Well sorta quit. I gave it full throttle and nothing. It was as if I had turned the key off.
I reduced it to about half throttle and it resumed running, but with not enough power to keep speed.
I began downshifting and finally I got to second gear and it would maintain about 25 MPH.
Made it home and it has sit for two days. Took it out for a ride today and it runs perfectly.
Anybody have any ideas? I am going to ride it and get it warm and spray it with water to see if I can
tell what is going on

·
Premium Member
1991 GL1500 Interstate Cinnamon Beige
505 Posts
My first thought is that your gas cap is mucked up and preventing proper "pressurization" in the gas tank. You suck out gas as you ride but the "vent" doesn't allow to pressure to equalize so the fuel pump can't pump the fuel out correctly. I would soak that fuel cap in seafoam overnight and blow it clean with a compressor. Repeat as necessary. If it happens again after cleaning, take the gas cap off and listen for the "whoosh" of air as you remove it. When you let the bike sit for a few days (overnight) the pressure slowly equalizes and the bike runs fine.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will give it the treatment I gave my 1976 LTD -- run it with the cap off
Again, it was running fine until I ran into a very fine mist of a sprinkle type rain

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
My 1998 S.E. was doing the same thing just before I sold it. Did not take much of a misty shower to make it slow way down, and almost quit running. Maybe spraying plug wires with WD40. There is a drain hole in bottom of spark plug well that is supposed to drain water from rain, keep plugs from shorting out. Sometimes that gets plugged up. If you find the answer I would love to know the cure.
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that!!
I am not alone I guess
I will report on anything I find out
It is 90+ degrees here and I can't even ride now

Reactions: GLblinded
1 - 5 of 5 Posts