Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

While in 5th gear, steady on the throttle, my bike felt like it hiccuped. Just briefly, just like if you hiccuped one time. I don't know if the power to a plug malfunctioned, something other electrical, clutch slippage, transmission issue, or whatever. It happened one other time a few weeks ago and since it was a windy day, I chalked it up to a wind gust. Now not so sure. What do you think - any ideas and should I be concerned ? The bike is a '08 1800 with 7,000 miles.

Thanks. You guys are the smartest people I know !
Dave

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

dave95sps wrote:
While in 5th gear, steady on the throttle, my bike felt like it hiccuped.  Just briefly, just like if you hiccuped one time.  I don't know if the power to a plug malfunctioned, something other electrical, clutch slippage, transmission issue, or whatever.  It happened one other time a few weeks ago and since it was a windy day, I chalked it up to a wind gust.  Now not so sure.  What do you think - any ideas and should I be concerned ?  The bike is a '08 1800 with 7,000 miles.

Thanks.  You guys are the smartest people I know !
Dave
Could be many different things. Could be water in the fuel, did both times occur after filling with fuel - if so add a cupful of metho to the tank to remove water. I would probably start looking at the battery connections and see if they are loose.If you recently had the top shelter off I would check the ECM plugs and make sure they are fully home and the connector under the rubber cover on the RH side near the engine oil filler. :coollep:

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Globetrotter. I will check the things you mentioned. I did get gas this morning and it happened about 40 miles in to the full tank.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Don't take this the wrong way, and it is NOT meant as a "shot" -

But is it possible you bumped the kill switch ?

I did that at 75mph one time, and almost packed my skivvies trying to figure out what was wrong. I had shut it the whole way off, while fiddling with my glove. Thankfully, I caught it before I got run over. :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I really do not know what it is, but pretty sure it is not the fuel . Water in the fuel will do more than one hiccup. It will run downright bad for a little bit.

Maybe a loss of power? Check all battery cables, and all the main fuses.

If cold and you have on gloves, might be you touched the kill switch?

Kinda hard to tell what something like that is even if you are standing right there when it happens, until it becomes common enough to happen when you are looking for it.

Kit

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I don't think I touched the kill switch...I know I certainly didn't need to switch it back. I'll check everything as mentioned above tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your guidance.
Dave

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

I posted this message awhile back.:)

I have on several occassionshad my 1800 stumble for a few seconds just as if it was missing real bad. This has happen like 3 times in 22,000 miles.(once while taking a sharp downhill left hand turn) ( the crease is still in the seat). Just recently I have been having trouble getting it started, in that it would not even turn over. Well to make a long story short, I have discovered that it is the kill switch. Once the bike is running the slightest movement of the kill switch causes the bike to shut off. Same if it will not turn over I just have to lightlytouch the kill switch and it will start. So I believe that the few times it stumbledwas because ofthis defective kill switch. All this is for your info. I plan to take her to the dealership tomorrow.

The dealership installed a new switch assembly under warranty. Hope this info helps! :waving:

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks Buzzmoe2. Maybe that's it. I didn't see anything wrong with fuses or other connections. Did the kill switch malfunction for the dealer or did he just take your word for it ?
Dave

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

At my dealership there are two service managers. The one would do nothing because the problem could not be duplicated when I was there. :shock:I went back when theother manager was there and he called Honda and they said to replace the switch assembly.:)

I always used my Kill Switch to shut off the bike, cause that is what I was taught to do. I don't do that any more. Guess I don't want the same problem again. Hope you get everything worked out. :dude:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.