Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is not the NSA/CIA/ICE/DHS or any of those other gov places that we have to have SUPER SUPER CRIPTIC PASSWORDS that no one can crack...except the crackers. I am getting tired of having to input my username and password EVERY TIME I LOG IN, it just isn't worth it anymore.

·
big PIA
1,429 Posts
????? click the remember me and you should not have to do that all the time, I have only had to put it in once since they redid it and that was a couple days ago, logged me out on phone and computer. Not sure I remember it so phone not logged in but computer still had it saved

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
450 Posts
this is not the NSA/CIA/ICE/DHS or any of those other gov places that we have to have SUPER SUPER CRIPTIC PASSWORDS that no one can crack...except the crackers. I am getting tired of having to input my username and password EVERY TIME I LOG IN, it just isn't worth it anymore.
It seems VerticalScope was hacked . This site is run by VericalScope.
One of the problems with the internet is that alot of people use the same or similar password for multiple sites. It's easy for a 10 year old Russian or Chinese kid to hack your password. Then they just load it into software that escalates the possible variations. Can you imagine what they could do?
It's actually a good idea to change passwords on a regular basis.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
For any sites where financial or personal data is involved strong passwords changed often are a good thing.

For forums
Code:
is good enough unless you're a moderator or administrator.
VerticalScope is trying to play Nanny which is not in their job description:lash:.

·
Administrator
1,194 Posts
it's not super cryptic. Maybe just slightly more challenging. Most browser save passwords for you once you enter a new password.

Lee

·
Administrator
58,947 Posts
well,

it seems that our forum software is not the least bit secure, it is the most easily broken there is???

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3112048/hackers-tap-vbulletin-vulnerability-to-break-into-27-million-more-accounts.html

this is why all of our passwords had to be changed.

we went thru a lot of hell with this, and I hope it is mostly behind us.

but, I have personal contact daily with members who cannot seem to get their passwords fixed automatically.

most of the time, this is because they have not kept their email addresses "up to date"

folks, if the forum's email address for you is NOT correct, you are going to be left out in the cold if your password gets hacked.

Fortunately, VSJeff and IT group have installed my own personal phone number in the Alert Message when a password fails....

I have been receiving from 2 to 6 calls a day and fixing broken passwords...
that is in near real time, as compared to you having to send an email and ask for help.

the Help Desk is backlogged into the "weeks long" category.... I really feel for the other 1,198 forums that Vertical Scope owns, if their moderators do not care enough to give personal service as I am doing here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.