·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

[align=center]Why do some countries drive on the right
and others on the left ?
[/align]

If you are planning to visit the UK and happen to come from one of the many countries that drive on the wrong side of the road, the following advice, direct from the Ministry of Transport, is for you:

[align=right]“Visitors are informed that in the United Kingdom traffic drives on the left-hand side of the road. In the interests of safety, you are advised to practise this in your country of origin for a week or two before driving in the UK.”[/align]

History and origin
List of left-driving countries
List of right-driving countries
Population distribution
Some anecdotes…
Location of the steering wheel

:12red::cooldj:

[align=center][/align]

[align=right][/align]

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

the only time I had difficulty driving while visiting the ilses... was on a one lane road on the ilse of mull. when I would come to a pullout to let an opposite car pass... I would instinctively pull to the right.

btw.. loved the roundabouts...only had to look one way

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

so what the ministry of transport is saying is that EVERYBODY should drive on the left.

TOO RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

It'll make it a lot safer for us Brits when we venture abroad!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Yeah and when people come to

Ireland:clapper:from the countries

that drive on the right :stumped:hand

side of the road :crying:some of

them still insistto driving :stumped:eek:n

the right. :whip:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Yeah and when people come to

Ireland:clapper:from the countries

that drive on the right :stumped:hand

side of the road :crying:some of

them still insistto driving :stumped:eek:n

the right. :whip:
And here I thought that the line in the middle was for motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Years ago I was a passenger in a car driven by a friend who just came back from living in Japan. We were driving from Las Vegas to Reno, Nevada in the middle of the night when he almost killed us both.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

Didn't I read somewhere that they were going to try changing to driving on the right in Ireland?

I thought the plan was to try it with the coaches and lorries first. If it worked they would change it for everything else. :baffled:

Oops!

Just remembered where the host lives. See you after my ban. :gunhead:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Used to have an old Triumph, it must not have been an export model because it was set up for driving on the left, the gear shifter was on the right.Therear brake was on the left. It wasn't easyriding that thing with your legs crossed although it did cut down on the pottie stops!:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

The old Bultaco's were that way also, seems like there were others:stumped:. I think a few dirt bikes had a shaft that came out on both sides,shifter could be fitted for either side. It made it good for flat track racing, because with a steel shoe on the leftyou needed the shifter on the right..

:12red::cool:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Graham B wrote:
Didn't I read somewhere that they were going to try changing to driving on the right in Ireland?

Just remembered where the host lives. See you after my ban. :gunhead:
Hey Graham B :waving: You must have been dreaming. :stumped:

Ok we wont ban you this time. :whip:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Why do you call trucks, "Lorries"?

What is the root meaning of "lorrie"?

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:

Hey wingdawg101:waving:

Truck stands for = Railway Goods Wagon.:clapper:

Trucker stands for = U.S. Lorry Driver. :stumped:

Lorry stands for = Large Vehicle for transporting loads by road. :baffled:

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

"Why do some countries drive on the righ and others on the left ?
If you are planning to visit the United States and happen to come from one of the many countries that drive on the wrong side of the road, the following advice, direct from the Department of Transportation, is for you:

“Visitors are informed that in the United States traffic drives on the Right-Hand side of the road. In the interests of safety, you are advised to practice this in your country of origin for a week or two before driving in the USA.”
:shock: :waving: :shock:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
According to two different etymology sites, there's no accepted or known source for the word. REDWING's description is mentioned along with a couple others but it is not an accepted source.

You shouldn't ask that question because it brings up all the problems with the English/American usage. When I bought an MGA in 1960 I asked the dealer about where the side curtains were, he said "in the boot" I thought he meant they came as an extra in the deal such as, "I'll give you the car and throw in the side curtains to boot." Then he told me it was going to rain so he'd show me how to get the hood up. "Why would I need the hood up if it rains? I couldn't see around it",? "No, no" he said, "that's the bonnet". "I'm sure as hell not going to be seen driving down the road with the hood up wearing a bonnet", I told him. Things deteriorated a bit from there.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

MaybeJOHNO shouldn't venture abroad. Perhaps GOD put you on that island for a reason. You'd always be welcome in Jersey. (New Jersey that is!)

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I thought a lorrie was anything from a van to a large truck and trailer.:stumped:

:12red::cool:

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Why thanks Rich maybe one day I'll take you up on your offer

I did a 4000 mile tour across Europe, in France got hit by a car one day, in spain a lorry jack-knifed in front of me (that was scary) on another, Dropped the bike fully loaded at a junction because some idiot cut me up in Germany, ever tried to pick a wing up when fully loaded with camping gear etc!!!. and I'm not even going to mention Italy.

But met some fantastic people and had a great time. Even the Bike survived with just a few battle scars:D

So next time I go, I'm driving on the left, its far safer :?:?:?;););)

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
wingdawg101 wrote:

Hey wingdawg101:waving:

Truck stands for = Railway Goods Wagon.:clapper:

Trucker stands for = U.S. Lorry Driver. :stumped:

Lorry stands for = Large Vehicle for transporting loads by road. :baffled:

Probably derived from the word lurry "to pull" or "to lug"

Hey REDWANG why arn't you having a go about the width of the picture on this posting????

Did you get a bigger screen?

:D

BB

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

dean_3326 wrote:
[align=center]Why do some countries drive on the right
and others on the left ?
[/align]

If you are planning to visit the UK and happen to come from one of the many countries that drive on the wrong side of the road, the following advice, direct from the Ministry of Transport, is for you:

[align=right]“Visitors are informed that in the United Kingdom traffic drives on the left-hand side of the road. In the interests of safety, you are advised to practise this in your country of origin for a week or two before driving in the UK.”[/align]

History and origin
List of left-driving countries
List of right-driving countries
Population distribution
Some anecdotes…
Location of the steering wheel

:12red::cooldj:

[align=center][/align]

[align=right][/align]

Try driving in Nigeria!!!!

driving on the wrong side of a motorway/dual carriage way is common practice at busy times.

Roundabouts are traversed in the least busy direction.

The end result of these two actions is TOTAL chaos during the rush hour

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.