Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys, this has been killing me for a while. The petcock has off and on, no reserve.

I know I have the fuel guage but would like to know the old fashion way.

anyone know why honda did this?

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

Its my understanding that there is no reserve for the 1200s.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

Probably because they added a fuel guage and a "fuel" light for when you are getting close to empty. Reserve would kind of be redudant.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, if you don't pay any attention to the odometer, fuel gauge and low fuel light, it'sunlikely you'd set the petcock to the right position anyway.:cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I have never seen the low fuel light but the last bar of the fuel guage blinks.

I almost finished working on this bike that was sitting for 4 years. This year I start her up and notice that the fuel guage and temp guage are invisible even after idleing for 5 minutes . No change in temp, so my thoughts were tat while doing some of the other wiring I may have disabled both guages.

Just as a precaution I started heading to the fuel station as I puttered 3 blocks from home and finnally died 2 blocks before the gas station. When I finnaly filled her up I learned that the fuel guage was operational cause she now showed a full tank.

=)

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

muaymendez1 wrote:
I have never seen the low fuel light but the last bar of the fuel guage blinks.
Your Aspencade dash may be set up a bit different from my Interstate, but I have a red idiot light right in the middle of the dash that lights up "FUEL" when I get down to about one gallon.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

The 84 Aspencade that I owned had the flashing last bar as the reminder that you need gas. No reserve tank.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

The 85 or at least mine, has a red "Fuel" light that comes on and there is at least 20 miles worth of fuel left, I have never run it dry to find the exact amount, I shall leave that to muaymendez1, he seems experienced in that regard :) I have never seen the last bar on the gauge disappear or flash when the fuel was low.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
imported post

My '84 I's fuel warning light starts to glow when I have exactly 4 litres left. If you know your average gas mileage, you can figure out just how far you will be pushing it.:D

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Maybe it never runs out of gas?

I think no reserve is a bad idea, considering how badly the gas gage works on my GL1100. I need to fix the 7v, but it a pain in the a$$.

My Chevy Blazer, had a bad gas gage, and if you didn't keep track of the milage, you would be walking at 210 miles!

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

Ince I have an 1100I, I have little to offer for an an asnswer, but I was wondering about this. Can muaymendez1 swap out his petcock for one that does have a reserve setting?

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Thats because you're not operating it properly. :cooldevil:

Reserve is a hidden feature on the 1200s.

To activate reserve you must use Vice Grips (large ones) and latch on to the selector and turn it VERY hard, counterclockwise.

Be sure to take photos while you're doing that, and have someone get photos of the various expressions on your face.

[sub]** please don't believe a word I said. but if you do - I want photos anyway.[/sub]

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

Richardrwg wrote:
Ince I have an 1100I, I have little to offer for an an asnswer, but I was wondering about this. Can muaymendez1 swap out his petcock for one that does have a reserve setting?
There wouldn't be any point, there's no reserve area in the tank.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Unless the petcock had two intakes one higher than the other, under normal riding the higher one would accept gas, and when the level went below that intake, the lower intake would take over.
This was a good idea for bikes back in the dark ages without gas gauges.
If your gauge isnt working .... fix it.

Maybe we could also go back to leather helmets, Long leather coats and goggles.... now there's a thought :) or even a flat hat and a woodbine ( for the UK members )

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

My 83 Goldwing has a voice that shouts, "Bingo fuel, bingo fuel". You should see how the autopilot works too, it's amazing.

This was a good idea for bikes back in the dark ages without gas gauges

You'd be amazed how many new bikes don't have fuel gauges.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Wow . I had no idea the response to this crazy post would be so large.

You can pay $ 40k for a custom chopper with no fuel guage or tach.
A bit cheaper and you can pay $17 for the un nameable with no fuel guage either.

We wingers are just a bit spoiled. I am a perfect case. I want reserve and a fuel guage. I have my answer now and will live with only the fuel guage. I just wondered If mine was rigged by some previous owner.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

No idiot light on mine.

Just a flashing bar at the lowest poart of the guage.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Ya got a trip odometer don't you? I always zero out that each time I refuel, that way I have three ways to know how much fuel is in the bike, by miles ridden, by the fuel gauge and by the low fuel warning. If that isn't enough you could get a piece of 1/4" dowel and make a fuel tank dipstick.:cheeky1:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.