Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:waving:Hello, you got another newbie. What a site ! I've been lurking for a few weeks, since I recently bought a 1985 GL1200A and finaly had to compliment this site.

My 85 had been sitting for about a year. A truckdriver owned it and hedidn't have time to ride anymore. It has 65k on itand yes it has some problems, mostly idle problem at start up. Once it warms up it runs pretty good.

Sine I bought it I have changed oil and filter, new air filter, fuel filter, new final drive oil. new rear tire, new mirror. I'm running some Lucas Oil carb cleaner now. If it doesn't help I have some Seafoam to try next before I remove the carbs for cleaning.

I have new timing belts on order and also a set of vac gauges to sync the carbs.

I also did away with the connector to the alternator and soldered the wires together. It didn't show any opens or shorts to ground, but the connector had a burned spot where it was getting hot.

This leads to my question Is this the main reason why the stators go out on the 85's......because of a short at the connector ?? or is there something else I need to check out?

I have learned a ton of stuff from this site about my wing. Thanks to all of you.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

the biggest problems 1200's had with wiring is the staor connector wires... the connectors get corrosion, which causes heat and poor connections which causes more corrosion. the other weak link (read the recnt posts on the starter selenoid) is the wiring at the selenoid/fuse. It didn't help either that lots of folks lite their wings up like a new orleans cat house which overloaded the systm.

welcome to the greatest wing site on the web!

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

Welcome EZE! You're sure to learn lots of neat stuff here. I know I have. I've had my Wing just over a month and feel like I know it inside out and have never even put a wrench to it.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

EZE wrote:
I also did away with the connector to the alternator and soldered the wires together. It didn't show any opens or shorts to ground, but the connector had a burned spot where it was getting hot.

This leads to my question Is this the main reason why the stators go out on the 85's......because of a short at the connector ?? or is there something else I need to check out?
EZE, probably that (3-yellow wire) connector area is the leading cause of stator failure. Once heat builds up it melts the wires, they then short together it's hard for the stator to survive.

Another cause of stator failure is not keeping clean oil in the engine so the acid in the old oil eats away the stator winding protection.

There is also a wire connector at the voltage regulator pig tail & those can burn just like the ones near the battery. I usually cut the 3 yellow wires there also & solder together (just the 3 yellow wires & not the entire connector wires).

Twisty

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Hi EZEand welcome to the best Goldwing forum around. :waving:The GL1100 has this connectror block as well which begs the question; Why doesn't the GL1100 stator fail as often as the GL1200? I reckon the higher output of the 1200 stator generates more heatwhich the connector block can't cope with.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

BRowan, I tend to agree with you.

The design of the Wing's charging system has the alternator putting out full charge constantly and any excess is dumped to ground. If the ground is restrictedin any way the charge has to go someplace so it turns into heat either at the connectors or in the stator's windinds until it burns itself up.

Car and GL1500alternators utilize electronic switching to regulate the charge output and it would be nice to do this with the Wings alternator but, since it doesn't have brushes it cannot be done this same way.

If you keep all connections clean and tight and don't overload the 1200's charging system and the coating on the stator doesn't break down because of heat and oil contamination the 1200 alternator will last a long time if you're lucky, but, for the money and peace of mind I would replace the 1200 alternator with a car alternator unless I was restoring the bike for show only use.

Vic

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.