1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I had a BMW Z3 Coupe and they didn't see it either. They don't look so they don't see.

·
1,566 Posts
I saw the 13 passes AND the bear.

Guess I'm exceptional. :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
I had a BMW Z3 Coupe and they didn't see it either. They don't look so they don't see.

I also have a 04 Ford F-150 XLT extended cab, wineberry in color, and you'd be suprised how many times people don't see it either. I'm like, you don't see the big red truck?

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Same here on the pickup. I have a 94 Dodge Cummins 3/4T Diesel that is Bright Red...brighter than Fire Engine Red and I still get pulled out in front of.

People do not see what they are not looking for.

Being a rider has made me a safer cage driver. I look for the bicyclist/pedestrian that may be on my right as I make a right hand turn. I look very carefully in all directions prior to making a left. And I consider myself invisible even in my truck. I always look in my mirrors, then turn my head back to look behind me, and then check my mirrors again prior to making a lane change. This has save me multiple times from getting into an accident on both the wing and in my cages.

I just wish more people would pay attention while driving.

Henry

·
1,566 Posts
Years ago I drove a city bus for a while. I had one incident where I am driving on the thru road and a lady stops at the cross street stop sign.
She looks right, looks left (the direction I'm coming from). Looks right again and looks left again.
Now if I'm close enough to see her do that you'd think that I in my big bus with all the lights on would be close enough to be seen by her.
Well I guess not 'cause she pulled out in front of me and I had to slam on the brakes to not hit her. She certainly saw me when the tires stopped turning and smoke suddenly appeared.
The front passengers that had an eyeful of this volunteered to make statements to the company on my behalf if needed.
Was she preoccupied with a cell phone? No, she didn't have one. Putting on makeup? Nope. Reading a map/book/magazine/etc.? Nope, nope, nope, etc.
She just wasn't paying attention even though she went through the motions.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Here in Boston many of those behind the wheel have mastered sleeping with their eyes open. The rest just don't realize that they're not the only ones on the road!;)

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
New England drivers, are tuff, just been to R.I., I don't care to ride thru Providence ever again.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
Here in Boston many of those behind the wheel have mastered sleeping with their eyes open.;)
That is basically the problem. I get to scenes of accidents almost every day and most of them are caused because one driver simply didn't see what was staring him in the face. They look but don't see everything in their field of vision, and mentally they are only looking for other cars. Bicycles, motorbikes and even trucks can be missed with a cursory glance.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Many people are just distracted by daily life, the argument they just had with their spouse, the trouble their kids are in, problems they are having at work. These thing are taking priority in their minds instead of looking for others. They are driving on automatic and not responding to threats in their vision because they are focused on what is bothering them.

I try to never climb into or onto a vehicle when I am frustrated or distracted. That is something my father preached very heavily when I first started driving. Adjust everything before you put it in gear including the radio. He always said "Your first job driving is not killing anyone"' I wish more people would practice that advice.

My daughters hated having me in the car when they were younger, now they thank me since both ride bikes and now understand why I pushed them so hard.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
Why can’t drivers see motorcyclists?

“My children are in the back seat of my mini-van watching a movie that they want me to rewind for them. One hand is full of my cell phone that I am using to talk to my BFF. My other hand holds the make-up that I am putting on my face. Meanwhile, I am listening to Howard Stern on the radio and I am wondering just how I am going to eat that Egg McMuffin that is sitting on the seat next to me that smells so good. So I ask you: just how in the heck do you expect me to see anything, much less motorcycles!

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
+1 to FitzAl. Driving takes more than looking, it takes a conscious effort. Simply turning ones head and scanning their eyes left and right doesn't make for any certainty that they are going to see what is there. I've responded to many crashes too. It's true, some people don't see motorcycles. But is also true that sometimes some people don't see much larger and brighter vehicles. There is no end to the list of things people have stated they "just didn't see". There are more and more distractions out there, many built right into vehicles, including motorcycles. I personally don't foresee a law change related to holding drivers more accountable in crashes, making the roads safe. It would be nice but I am skeptical. We who chose to ride cycles need to rely on what we have control over, ourselves. Wear protective gear, increase visibility, and seriously ride like you are invisible.

Stay safe!

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
today while on highway a bmw off my left shoulder, their front tire about even with my rear procede to shift into my lane pushing me to the edge of the lane, got about half way into my lane before noticing me and moving back to their lane. i had to be visible out his right front window. would have hurt at 50mph.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Did someone stick a sign on your back????

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.