Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I changed the gear oil in the diff but now I have a leak that starts at the top. I do not thin k i over filled it but I may have if the bike was on the sidestand and I wasnt paying attention.

Could this be my reason or

can this happen from using to thin a gear oil.

i believe the oil is 80weight.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

You fill it with it on the center stand. Put it on the center stand and pull the filler plug out, see how much extra runs out till it quits, then you have the right amount in it. Have some rags and a catch pan ready for easy cleanup.

Once you've done that ride it and see if it still leaks.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

Hi, I have the same problem oil is coming out the vent hole cover on the top of the final drive.]
[

I just changed the oil to, I filled it with the bike on a motorcycle jack.

After checking the oil level I did not have any oil run out the filler hole?

However I rode yesterday 30 mls and had no further leakage from the vent.

Is the oil level this sensitive?/forums/images/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

Let us know if adjusting the oil level with the bike on the center stand fixed your problem to.

God Bless,

Helmut

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,196 Posts
imported post

If your fork seals are leaking so quickly, I would suggest that the fork tubes have abrasions that are scratching the seals.

I had to replace the fork tubes on my 1200 for that very reason.

New seals, and within six months they were leaking as bad as before. I rode it everyday to work though over rough roads.

New tubes, and no more leaks.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Could the oil you are using be foaming?

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

My left one is showing some oil after replacing the seals last year. i was trying to ignore it and see if it goes away.

You said new tubes. Where did you get these from.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,793 Posts
imported post

For leaking fork seals after replacement you might try filling with a heavier weight fork specific oil. I replaced the seals on my 76 twice and they still leaked. I was using a cheap ATF for the oil. No way to know the weight of ATF. I finally changed to a 15 weight Honda fork oil and the seals haven't leaked since. That has been over a year ago. Something to try before spending money on tubes.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Couldn't resist..Your title says oil from YOUR rear; that ad on TV,that states "one of the side effects of this medicine is OILY discharge" So have you taken any of that medicine..you did say oil from YOUR rear right???:) :) :)

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
If your fork seals are leaking so quickly, I would suggest that the fork tubes have abrasions that are scratching the seals.

I had to replace the fork tubes on my 1200 for that very reason.

New seals, and within six months they were leaking as bad as before. I rode it everyday to work though over rough roads.

New tubes, and no more leaks.
Hey John, how did you get fork seals out of a problem with leaks in the rear hub? :shock::shock::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

RB wrote:
Couldn't resist..Your title says oil from YOUR rear; that ad on TV,that states "one of the side effects of this medicine is OILY discharge" So have you taken any of that medicine..you did say oil from YOUR rear right???:) :) :)
:shock:AHEM:clapper: my rear differential is leaking!!!:dude:I dont expect that much chop busting here, i expect it from the group of guys I hang out with but, Oh well RB you fired the first shot. I will be paying close attention to the words you chose to speak.:cooldevil:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.