Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all and Happy Easter! Wanted to get some feedback on WHY..... are the RH Battery Covers for a GL1500 so DANG hard to find?...... and when I do find on I get into a bidding war on eBay over them......

I have a "Franken-Wing" that was supposedly put together by a guy in Alaska and it has a flatbed with diamond plate on the readr where the trunk and bags used to be.... I need a RH battery cover if anyone 'really' knows where I can get one. Color is unimportant, BUT the tabs and posts must be intact.....

Ride safe all...... finally getting to riding conditions in the great NW rockies.....

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Partszilla has one for a 1998 GL1500. $320.00. That's part of why they are so hard to find and explains the bidding wars. Your bike is old and parts can be hard to find also.

How about a picture of your flat bed Goldwing? Sounds interesting!

Rayjoe

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Partszilla has one for a 1998 GL1500. $320.00. That's part of why they are so hard to find and explains the bidding wars. Your bike is old and parts can be hard to find also.

How about a picture of your flat bed Goldwing? Sounds interesting!

Rayjoe
Sorry .... ain't paying that kind of money for a used cover...... will never understand it..... when you say my bike is getting old....... I thought my 72 and 83 were old....... not my 97.... hell it is barley old enough to go to the bars....... Will try to get some pics today if the sun comes out.... thanks

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Partszilla sells NEW parts. I agree the price is crazy. And depending on the color it could be $420.00. That does not include emblems.

The trunk lid for my 02 Gl1800 is over $600.00. I haven't been able to find one of those either!

Yes your bike is old, and judging by your other bikes, you probably are too!:cool:

The oldest bike I currently own is a 73 RV125.

Yes, I want to see a picture of your Goldwing pickup!

·
Administrator
26,938 Posts
The battery cover is the one that gets lost more often because it gets removed more often than the opposite side & the grommets get worn.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I bought a set from Cycle Max, Un painted like $150 for the set and you get new Grommets.

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
If purchasing used, make sure it is from a 1995 - 2000 year Gold Wing.

They are different (flatter) than the 1988 -1994 covers.

Morning all and Happy Easter! Wanted to get some feedback on WHY..... are the RH Battery Covers for a GL1500 so DANG hard to find?...... and when I do find on I get into a bidding war on eBay over them......

I have a "Franken-Wing" that was supposedly put together by a guy in Alaska and it has a flatbed with diamond plate on the readr where the trunk and bags used to be.... I need a RH battery cover if anyone 'really' knows where I can get one. Color is unimportant, BUT the tabs and posts must be intact.....

Ride safe all...... finally getting to riding conditions in the great NW rockies.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Partszilla sells NEW parts. I agree the price is crazy. And depending on the color it could be $420.00. That does not include emblems.

The trunk lid for my 02 Gl1800 is over $600.00. I haven't been able to find one of those either!

Yes your bike is old, and judging by your other bikes, you probably are too!:cool:

The oldest bike I currently own is a 73 RV125.

Yes, I want to see a picture of your Goldwing pickup!
Took some pics yesterday under the clouds....
She is a work in progress and I just finished the top flatbed and have not painted yet.
the idea is to install an old school solid sissy bar from my 69 Triumph, and some old hard bags from an 81 Yamaha XS1100 Special so I can get some storage on her...

Then will work on body. Only 17K miles on her.... not too impressed with the drive ratios though. this is only my second wing.

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
If it is a 1997, those mufflers are not 1997. They look like 1998 - 2000 mufflers....!!

Took some pics yesterday under the clouds....
She is a work in progress and I just finished the top flatbed and have not painted yet.
the idea is to install an old school solid sissy bar from my 69 Triumph, and some old hard bags from an 81 Yamaha XS1100 Special so I can get some storage on her...

Then will work on body. Only 17K miles on her.... not too impressed with the drive ratios though. this is only my second wing.

View attachment 325461

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
A double decker Goldwing pickup! Are you going to enclose the rear wheel area?

You have the only one in town!

Thanks for the pictures!!

Rayjoe

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A double decker Goldwing pickup! Are you going to enclose the rear wheel area?

You have the only one in town!

Thanks for the pictures!!

Rayjoe
Am going to use some of the chrome bag guards from the 81 XS1100 to create a bungie hold-down on the top platform. Was also thinking about creating some sort of rear bumper below the taillight for protection.... painted black of course. Someone told me it reminded him of a storm trooper.... NOW I have to go find a decent storm trooper motorcycle helmet......

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
Am going to use some of the chrome bag guards from the 81 XS1100 to create a bungie hold-down on the top platform. Was also thinking about creating some sort of rear bumper below the taillight for protection.... painted black of course. Someone told me it reminded him of a storm trooper.... NOW I have to go find a decent storm trooper motorcycle helmet...... View attachment 325467

Definitely 1998 - 2000 year mufflers.....!!! They have a little more "throatie" sound.....!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,825 Posts
Okaay! Who's gonna be first to say it?

·
Registered
1 Posts

An answer to your ( finding a Battery side cover ) having a similar problem i ended up using latest tech and Printed one out it take 37hrs a tip from down under.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts