Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been waiting for the speedometer box assembly(front wheel) for my 1500 for over a week and still no sign of it coming from Mother Honda. I'm sure it's a planned obsolescence part having plastic gears in it, but it has lasted only 45K miles. Dealer told me 3 or 4 days at the most when it was ordered. Rant over

·
Unofficial Youtube Addict
2,603 Posts
I have a feeling that when you place your order they start checking warehouses in the US and if your part isn't here they order it from Japan maybe? I ordered a part that took 3 weeks to get to me. I called the place I ordered it from and they really had no explanation why it was taking so long. One sunny day it showed up on my doorstep.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I do not know how true this is, but I was told about 6 years ago that there are only two warehouse locations in the states for any Japanese bike part.

North Carolina has 1, and then California has a handful. All of the intermediate warehouses that were sprinkled though the midwest were shut down.

The one in North Carolina still gets it stock through the west coast boys, so there it is.

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
The dealer that I used to deal with wouldn't put in your order when you put it in.He would wait until he had a full sheet of parts to order and then do it.Needless to say he doesn't get money from me anymore.

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
MAYBEEEEeeeeeeeee. . . . . .

GWF needs a "I have "X" part(s)" sticky thread?
:?

Bad part is, how to keep it updated for parts sold and not restocked? Individual sellers gets lazy or forgets.

·
Honda Guru
2,009 Posts
Sometimes it's just a matter of how many parts a dealer orders and how fast. If the parts manager (he/she is usually the only person authorized to actually order parts) gets only a few parts to order each day he/she will usually wait till an order sheet is full. If, on the other hand they fill up a order sheet in one day the parts get ordered that day and get to the dealership faster. Thus….. the possibility of some orders taking longer than others.

Another thing about parts warehouses. Honda has several. From what I remember there is Torrance Ca, Seattle Wa, Irving Tx, somewhere in North Carolina, Marysville Ohio and Lincoln Alabama. As a part was ordered it would automatically search the closest available warehouse for the part. If it wasn't in stock there it would search the other warehouses and 'cross-ship' the part to the dealer. That could take some extra time.
If none of the available warehouses had the part it would be put on B/O (back order) until the part was received. A B/O could last as long as 6 months without any reason. Regardless what warehouse ordered the part (that is B/O'ed) it is mandatory that it comes from Japan into the Torrance warehouse first. Then it is shipped to the warehouse that ordered the part and then to the dealer that ordered the part. More time!

That's how it worked as of 2004 when I left the dealership.

·
Honda Guru
2,009 Posts
I skate everyday for at least an hour, for about three years and i would always just guess when i need new stuff. I would like to know actually how long a pair of spitfire wheels, bones reds bearings, thunder trucks and any pro model deck usually last for someone who skates a lot?
decosta….
are you sure you're on the right forum? Last time I rode a skateboard I was 16 years old…. and that was 1968.
The average age around here runs from the 40's, 50's, 60's plus and minus a few. Probably not a lot that still ride skateboards.:?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I never go to a dealer for parts. Motogrid and Honda Direct are as close as your keyboard. Motogrid normally ships quickly, usually about a week to get any Honda OEM part depending on your desired shipping option. Honda Direct Line is sometimes a bit cheaper but can take a few days longer to get your order. Both have good parts diagrams to make it easier to find the part you need.

http://www.motogrid.com/

http://www.hondadirectline.com/oempartfinder.htm

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts
Sometimes it's just a matter of how many parts a dealer orders and how fast. If the parts manager (he/she is usually the only person authorized to actually order parts) gets only a few parts to order each day he/she will usually wait till an order sheet is full. If, on the other hand they fill up a order sheet in one day the parts get ordered that day and get to the dealership faster. Thus….. the possibility of some orders taking longer than others.

Another thing about parts warehouses. Honda has several. From what I remember there is Torrance Ca, Seattle Wa, Irving Tx, somewhere in North Carolina, Marysville Ohio and Lincoln Alabama. As a part was ordered it would automatically search the closest available warehouse for the part. If it wasn't in stock there it would search the other warehouses and 'cross-ship' the part to the dealer. That could take some extra time.
If none of the available warehouses had the part it would be put on B/O (back order) until the part was received. A B/O could last as long as 6 months without any reason. Regardless what warehouse ordered the part (that is B/O'ed) it is mandatory that it comes from Japan into the Torrance warehouse first. Then it is shipped to the warehouse that ordered the part and then to the dealer that ordered the part. More time!

That's how it worked as of 2004 when I left the dealership.
That as I understand it is how the system works and as far as I know motorcycle dealers only get a stock order delivery once a week. So if their normal delivery day is Thursday and you order a part on Friday it is not going to get there before the next Thursday, unless you are willing to pay shipping. It works the same for the online vendors so if they do not have it in stock they have to wait for it also. Honda auto dealers get overnight delivery if they are within a certain distance from a warehouse.

·
Administrator
21,895 Posts
Also, some stores may only order once a week, so if they place their order on Friday morning, and then you order something on Friday afternoon, your order won't even be placed until the following Friday.

...and then, as Rudy pointed out, you have to wait until the part comes up on eBay.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.