Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

why would any one part out a bike that looks this good, I don't get it. It is being parted out on ebay.

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/3iJynWVdieY&feature=player_embedded#!&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

Probably can get more for the parts than you can for the whole bike. Although if you figure in your labor and time to ship you probably don't gain much.

·
New Guy
791 Posts
imported post

it looks as though they've got / had many "parting out" videos on youtube, so my guess is they buy up old gl's, break them down and sell them. i wouldn't be surprised if occasionally they get offers that are too good to pass up and sell bikes as-is.

parts is parts.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

There is for sale writing on the front windshield. about half way through it, when he's playing with the radio, you can see the dollar sign and a couple of zeros and OBO. Can't tell though if it's $2000, $3000 or More.

Damn shame, nice bike. It has got to be a lot of work to part a bike out, list it, box it up and ship it and for what?? I can't imagine you'd sell the whole thing, maybe half? Damn same. 117K on the odometer, the thing still has 50 or 60K still left, at least.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
imported post

Some times vehicles are parted out because they do not have a clear title. They have a lien or loss of paper work and some times are stolen!

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

the truth is you can part that bike out and make more money off it than sellin it outright

the going price for that bike would be 2-3,000 not a dime more paying 4 or 5 grand for a 30ish yr old bike is kinda retarded unless its a collector or something

under the right conditions and right buyers you can make 4 or 5k on part sales every thing from the windscreen to the blinker, rear tire ect anything and everything

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I'd buy her whole if I could.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
imported post

It's a shame to tear her apart, but peterbilt's right. There is more money in parting it out than can be had from selling it whole. Most of those part buyers are right here on our forum. My 88 would be long gone if folks out there weren't tearing down some wings. Still, that's a nice looking bike I wouldn't mind owning.

·
Administrator
26,529 Posts
imported post

I would never part one out I could fix and sell even if I could get twice as much. It is a PITA to part one out and there are always lots of left overs you can never sell.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Ya, it's the whole thing of someone wants to keep theirs going and they don't make those parts anymore... but it's still sad to see a young bike like that go.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
I would never part one out I could fix and sell even if I could get twice as much. It is a PITA to part one out and there are always lots of left overs you can never sell.
My guess is that selling used bikes isn't what pays your mortgage. If these guys are doing it for a living, sometimes they have to leave the heart at home. I once met a guy who did the same thing with old English bikes. He wouldbuy a nice original Norton and immediately start disassembling it for parts.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

And it's an 1100 too. I would love to have a really nice 1100 Interstate or Aspencade. To me they are the best looking Goldwings ever made.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

A friend collects antique books and the same problem exists. A book can sell for $500 but the buyer cuts out the illustrations and sells them for $100 each making $500 to $1000 on each book. The written stuff is then thrown out. Another piece of history lost.

Money rules.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

A definite shame to see it being parted out....My wife knows if I were to win a good sized lottery, all I would do is buy Gold Wings, restore the ones worth restoring and only part out the worse ones....Yeah I would have a HUGE warehouse....;)....117 thou, that Wing is just getting broken in good.....

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

Im bidding on his parts now and watching some. He has a lot of different GW that hes parting out hate to see this but if its good for me :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.