Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Why will some dealers not work on Hondas over 10yrs old?

72K views 202 replies 128 participants last post by  raeariggs123 
#1 ·
imported post

Sir,
I believe that if you own a Honda, and a Local Honda shop that Sells and Services Honda's should work on bikes that are over 10 years old. They could do belts, tune ups, tires, Sync carbs, and all Kinds of stuff.
The dealer in Gadsden, Al. will not touch a Honda over 10 years old. I'll never buy a new Honda from him. Early last year, I went to a DIFFERENT dealer and bought my son a demo model that had only 40 miles on it! And I promise you, it wasn't a Honda.

Nightrider1 Aka David

#2 ·
imported post

The 10 year rule is particularly hard to understand when you consider that an 88 GL1500 is very little different from one made in the last year of production.

Are those dealers SELLING used bikes older than their 10 year rule. ALmost certainly yes.

I also won't patronize a dealer that won't support their products.

A more reasonable limitiation would be 20 or 25 years which is when bikes officially become "vintage".

#198 ·
imported post

The 10 year rule is particularly hard to understand when you consider that an 88 GL1500 is very little different from one made in the last year of production.

Are those dealers SELLING used bikes older than their 10 year rule. ALmost certainly yes.

I also won't patronize a dealer that won't support their products.

A more reasonable limitiation would be 20 or 25 years which is when bikes officially become "vintage".
I hear that. That’s why I want to know everything I can about my gl1000. I get so much pleasure keeping that little unit running like new

#3 ·
imported post

I have to say this really surprises me. The Honda dealer out here not only will service bikes regardless of age, he also accepts them as trade-ins, resells them and stands behind them.

I can only believe that this is some personal attitude and in this economy, a bad one.

Reactions: dwade
#4 ·
imported post

Never heard of this in the UK, the only thing i have seen on age limitation was on some of the breakdown insurance policies, again not really fair as you can have a year old badly neglected or badly ridden bike compared to a wing that has received TLC all its life

#5 ·
imported post

The ten year rule is due to the fact some if not most of all the repairs may cost more than the bike itself. Honda is afraid doing $1500 repair bill on a $1200 bike. Then the owner is not wanting to pay the bill.

Reactions: 6adan
#179 ·
The ten year rule is due to the fact some if not most of all the repairs may cost more than the bike itself. Honda is afraid doing $1500 repair bill on a $1200 bike. Then the owner is not wanting to pay the bill.
I disagree totally. The dealers in my area won't even put tires on when you are willing to pay for the tires and expected labor to install up front. It is silly that many dealers will not even install tires on a bike over 10 years old even if the customer is willing to pay upfront.

It is not the fear of getting stuck with an expensive repair, many car dealers will work on 50 year old cars and they face the same issues at the motorcycle dealers. It is really a short-sightedness that keeps them blind to potentials.

#6 ·
imported post

Another problem is that as a service place does work on your bike, old things break,strip, fall apart.etc., and the client gripes about price.If a set of belts ran about $400.00, and add a broken/ frozen bolt that takes 3 hours more to fix, the dealer can't eat it. I don't like dealers at all, but to be fair, some of this has been brought on by customers wanting to get off cheap, and failing to understand the problem.Too bad we couldn't sign something that clarifies the possibilities of more costs as the work progresses, before the work ever starts.I guess the forum here is your best bet to perform as much yourself as possible. with all the help around here! JMHO jimsjinx

#7 ·
imported post

There is a Polaris/Yahaha dealer up the road from Honda that sells Bikes, and he said he would instll new belts on my bike for $65.00 Labor, but I found out mine were not all that old, so I did bot have to do anything. Also, This dealer in Gadsden will do Anything to ANY Goldwing. Nice to know if you need a carb set. Hakes Honda look like a limited 10 year old dealer.
Nightrider1

#163 ·
There is a Polaris/Yahaha dealer up the road from Honda that sells Bikes, and he said he would instll new belts on my bike for $65.00 Labor, but I found out mine were not all that old, so I did bot have to do anything. Also, This dealer in Gadsden will do Anything to ANY Goldwing. Nice to know if you need a carb set. Hakes Honda look like a limited 10 year old dealer.
Nightrider1
I know this is an old thread but night rider1 where is this shop at i am in jasper al. And only one shop around here will even change my oil.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

#8 ·
imported post

I believe it's each dealer's decision - the local dealer will not work on anything over 10 years old - yet I have had one of the mechanics from the shop stop & help me when I was stuck on the side of the road - and very happy to do so. However I have found dealers in Montana more than happy to work on anything I bring into the shop -my 29 year old bike received outstanding care and attention last time it was taken into Kalispell - good customer service only comes from competent & supportive management.

#9 ·
imported post

Yeah, I agree- it's a bit of a pisser, and definitely something I'd take into consideration, if I were in a position to buy a new bike.

The local Honda dealership has at leastfourstrikes against it, in my view-

1) They won't touch a pre-1990's bike...again, they cite that "liability/accountability" issue, but...you'd sure think they could come up with some sort of "disclaimer" for things like a "carb sync" (which is actually super-easy, once you have the equipment, and know how to do it).

2) The local focus is ATV's and dirt bikes- they stock one or two 1800's at a time, and carry a selection of "barely used, but possibly heavily abused", Superbikes of varying brands (translates to "not yet crashed"), but no old stuff at all.

3) They will only "service what they sell" basically- they will mount a tire they've sold me at a fair price if I hand 'em the wheel....but that's as far as they go.

4) They won't be put out to accomodate tourists- I've stood there while they refused an oil change on a GL (probably 1800) for a pair of passing tourists....that may be good business sense, but it's incredibly bad form...just my opinion.

I was tempted to ask the gent to buy an oil filter, go next door with me to Napa Auto Parts to buy the oil, and use my tools to change it. I would have, of course, dumped the used oil in the parking lot of the Honda Dealer....yeah, I'm destined for jail time...one of these days....:shock:...... :dude:

#10 ·
imported post

Well wile i was reading this tread i wondered if it can not be in your favour if the dealer don't want to work on your bike, because you can now approach the mechanic directly for a private job, and they usually do private's, and there is no problem that he might get fired for taking work\jobs from the dealer he is working for.:baffled::baffled:

#11 ·
imported post

I have always gone to a private mechanic here in town. He works on any Goldwing, only. Doesn't matter what year as long as it is a Goldwing. Strictly Wings, very competitive prices as well.:action:

#13 ·
imported post

Harley is open on Monday too!! And even some are open on Sunday. None of this sitting from Saturday afternoon in a strange town with a bad alternator and having to wait till Tuesday morning at 10.00 a.m just to be told ........well we used to have one of those things, we can order you one...........be here next week........

Kit

#14 ·
imported post

Performance Suzuki/Triumph in Oklahoma City has been real good so far in getting parts for my wife's 27 year old bike, get this "They had the parts in stock". Wing Enterprises in OKC is also good with the older wings. I can't say I'm real pleased with either of the Honda places as far as service goes, next bike just may be a Suzuki or Triumph.

Jeff

#15 ·
imported post

Having been on both sides of the fence, I can see it from either way. In many cases lack of knowledge is the most likely reason. Although I have reason to believe that milking the ignorant customer is fair game to many dealers. My sister in law left her ancient relic in for brake work and an oil change. They quoted her $1100 as it is after all 25 years old and then there are parts to be imported etc. I told her that that she was being fleeced.

I replaced all the parts she needed, slave cylinder, 2 discs, two sets of pads some hoses and various fluids and an oil change. $190, it did take a few days to source the parts, but remember I don't have the same access to the jobbers or trade prices or have a lift to raise the vehicle or the overhead mind you.

One of the biggest hassles when working on older vehicles is that things break, the studs shear when replacing a muffler or a clamp has rusted through, carb work is hampered by the rubber manifolds which have hardened over years of use and become brittle and don't seal and have to be replaced. All these take time, experience and care. Most mechanics in this day and age are used to just replacing parts. They hook up their diagnostic tools and replace what the computer recommends. It's quick, turns a fast buck and they are on to the next job and the customer is happy or feels stung. This equipment doesn't come cheap at 7 grand or more plus software and training. Sadly many of todays mechanics haven't been trained to look for the obvious or real hands on mechanics. Often perfectly good parts are discarded before finding what the actual fault was, maybe a loose or perished hose, blown fuse etc.

The dealer knows certain things wont wash with us, they want cash up front when you order parts and want a premium to work on your machine. Some owners are willing to let certain things slide, like using a hose clamp rather than the original Honda item, but when a dealer gets his hands on it, especially a HONDA dealer they have certain ethics to adhere to, ie using genuine Honda parts, time is alloted to each and every service, so many hours and minutes for each job. Then there is a storage fee while waiting for parts and then of course they come express so add DHL + phone calls and now you have shop supplies. It all adds up and it all comes out of your pocket.

Thank goodness I can do it myself.....!

#16 ·
imported post

Local dealer here in PCB is one of those "less than 10 years only" shops. Once he told me that his labor is $100/hour, I was glad that he wouldn't take my bike into the shop. Now, he's more than happy to sell me parts at his "stealer markup". Fortunately, I found the local Kawasaki dealer has a Goldwing mechanic and they have been more than kind and gracious to me. In otherwords, I wouldn't buy an empty 5 gallon bucket from the local Honda Dealer. What I cannot do myself, or what I screw up trying to do myself will go to the Kawasaki Dealer here in PCB.

#18 ·
imported post

Hey dudes, don't try riding your eleven year old Harley into the Harley shop expecting them to service it either. Once that puppy has it's tenth birthday party it is off to the Indy shop for service. At first I had a bad case of the hip, but got over it. The way they explained it to me was that it was hard enough for them to carry parts for ten different years, let alone carry parts for bikes over ten years old. I even mentioned the fact that given the fact that Harley parts cost twice what the parts for other bikes cost, they should be able to do it. That didn't set too well with the service mgr, so he just gave me the address of the local Indy shop. When I went to the Indy I asked him where he bought his Harley parts at. He said at the local Harley shop, where else?
The good thing about this was the fact that the Indy only charged $48.00 per hour and the Harley shop charged $88.00 for the same 60 minutes.

#20 ·
imported post

They should'nt jack up there prices on parts! example: in South St Paul MN a lousy Selinoid is 75 bucks at Honda, you can go to Sportswheels in Jordan MN get the same deal for 40-45 new, Honda 6 and change for case bolts? what! they are 1 dollar parts!!

I hope we get someone here who has a real love for the Machines, and integrity but values the old has well has the new!

I think Honda has become just another cold enterprise, I wish I could afford that Big Kawasaki that looks like the Indian!

#22 ·
imported post

I think the markup is completely up to the individual shop. I'm also aware that it costs money to have a local "brick and mortar" business that can answer my (possibly stupid) questions, so....

I don't object when things are slightly more, at my local shop, than I can get them by mail order from the "biggies" here, like Hondaline Direct or Bike Bandit.

By that, I mean 15-20%, not 50% :shock::?:D

I've bought competitively priced tires, filters and other basics from my "local" and been happy. But I don't like any business that has too much "attitude", unless that attitude is "whenever possible, make the customer happy". ;)

#23 ·
imported post

I just bought an 82 GL1100 from my local Honda Dealer, he also deals Suzuki and Harley. When I purchased it I was told they had just done a full service to the bike before storing it away last fall. When I got it home the stereo didn't work, the driving lights didn't work, the cigarette lighter didn't work. I sat down and tried to figure out what was wrong and found a couple of cut wires and a few more blown fuses, took all of a day of playing to find the issues. I went back in to see how much to change the timing belts, I was told over $800. It seems that the these guys aren't interested in working on the bike and if a complete service leaves wires cut and fuses blown I think I will change my oil this weekend in the driveway, and spend a little more time on this site to figure out how to change my own belts... wish me luck I may be trucking the bike to another shop about 75 miles away before the weekend is out.

Sak.

#25 ·
imported post

Many times it is not any different with a new bike. You will take it in for something , for example lets just say the engine is surging and wanting to die at the stops.

It is the pin plug to the air control on the fuel delivery system. (IAVC) So while in there to plug this in, they pull and tug and create more problems than they solve. Leave wire bundle clips undone and pry and tug at some connector because they do not know how to get it undone, and put pliers on it and crack the connector. Then they just leave it that way. (I just fixed a bike like that, used some tie wraps to hold the connectors together)

Normal with the type of service at most shops ..........and the reason most of us with experience will only go to a shop as a very last resort or for some major something we want fixed under warranty.

Even at that, when you get the bike back, it is time to go over it carefully and re-route all the wires and make sure all the wiring harness is free, not crimped and all that kind of thing.

I do not find what you experienced unusual, I would have been very surprised it it had been any other way.

There is only one thing you can count on as a sure fact at most dealers, and I say most not all, they will look you right in the eyes and lie to you. Count on it.

#26 ·
imported post

Unfortunately, greed is the reason for owning the dealership, service managers on commission, and high school age mechanics working for 13% of the charged rate, and you get attitudes when you suggest. My 84 went to a local dealer in 92, hasn't been since, really unpleasant expensive experience. Bastards did work I didn't order, lawyer said no problem, BUT you will have to pay the bill to get bike back, or pay storage till we see judge in 6 or so months. Wonder if they were related.
I have a whole slew of metric tools now, and I'll fabricate parts to avoid the honda supp;y line. Glad there this place and people who know napa part numbers.

Come to think of it, same applies to the local ford dealer. Not to mention my last 2 jobs are now in mexico

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.