Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

181 - 197 of 197 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,508 Posts
I've never run into any dealership that would refuse to sell and mount a tire on a car of any age, provided they had a suitable tire in stock.

Too many independent tires shops for them to be that picky.

·
Registered
115 Posts
We have Honda 3 dealers within 30 miles of home and all of them will work on the older bikes. I've had my 89 Wing in for service at 2 of them and when I set up the service appointment they ask what make, model and year and keep right on setting things up after I tell them the year. All of these shops have an excellent reputation for work too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,499 Posts
We have Honda 3 dealers within 30 miles of home and all of them will work on the older bikes. I've had my 89 Wing in for service at 2 of them and when I set up the service appointment they ask what make, model and year and keep right on setting things up after I tell them the year. All of these shops have an excellent reputation for work too.
Yeah, but where are you located?

·
Registered
6 Posts
imported post

Nightrider1 wrote:

Please allow me to tell you from personal experience. Dealers do not have techs that are experienced on older bikes. If a computer cannot tell them the problem and they actually have to use their brain then it is all over but the damage they cause getting your older wing apart. Southern Power Sports in Chattanooga taught me this lesson the hard way not to mention having the bike for 1 1/2 months.
I just bought a bike that was serviced at that place. I took it apart to change my air filter and found screws left out, wrong screws, etc. I will fix my own when I can thank you. I actually live closer to the Honda of Chattanooga one on 58.....

Kevin

·
Registered
6 Posts
imported post

With reference to dealers not working on 10+ older bikes.

If a bike owner needs brakes or suspension work done and the dealers 10+ year rule applies, is the bike owner forced to attempt the repair oneself even though said owner knows nothing about the correct fix?
Are dealers forcing owners to ride unsafe machines on the roads?

If (any) said bolt breaks due to age, isn't that a "clue" to the manufacture to fix said problem?
You can't sell new machines if you keep fixing the old ones....

Kevin

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't believe in a Throw Away society.
IF I did, I'd have a new woman every few months. .. .. :unsure:
Some do my friend, and we are a throw away society. I have been around the block and have seen the attitudes of those who sell to others....

·
Magic Moderator
4,550 Posts
Have a neighbor that believes in throwing stuff away, he remembered I tinker with old computers and gave it to me. I observed dirty fans, as he said it makes noise. My goal is to clean it inside as well as the fans. I came from a family where you threw nothing away unless it could not be fixed.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
I worked in quite a few homes where the owners thru nothing away. You dont want to live in a house like that.
I do my best to fix stuff but im not holding anything for spare parts. . There are lots of people that have a rotting car or truck in their yard for 20 years with the hood up. I dont want such neighbors

·
Magic Moderator
4,550 Posts
There are 3 hoarders in this complex and one is so bad you cannot even get into the front door. I'll work on an old computer and many times I'll give it to someone in need. I don't have a lot of junk in my apartment and with the lock down I have done a lot of cleaning, tossing and donating.
I am sure if you brought a 1955 Chevy into a dealership they'd work on, now parts may present a problem.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,508 Posts
actually, there is not a single part for a '55 Chevy that is not on the shelf...
and there are a lot of specialty places that are building parts no longer supplied by GM.

·
Registered
705 Posts
A key issue with older bikes especially the 1970/1980, even into the '90s is parts availability, and having a mechanic that can troubleshoot the requirement. This would entail a time and material situation. If it's standard maintenance such as tires, oil changes, bearings and such any dealer should be able to do the work. Getting at some of the parts such as changing the rear tire on a 1200/1500 requires time to remove and replace the plastic and saddlebags, trailer hitch if installed. This adds to the cost of doing business. Did the air filter on my '08 1800, 3 to 4 hours to replace a $25.00 part, expensive. Everything is relative, own an older bike, have deep pockets for other(s) to do the work or be a DIY mechanic. I don't think a dealership would refuse to work on an older motorcycle, but you may not like the bill.

·
Administrator
25,978 Posts
Getting at some of the parts such as changing the rear tire on a 1200/1500 requires time to remove and replace the plastic and saddlebags, trailer hitch if installed. This adds to the cost of doing business.
No this adds to the profit of the business and the paycheck of the guy that does it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
No this adds to the profit of the business and the paycheck of the guy that does it.
Cost of doing business is meant that it is an increase in cost to me.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
klook: Granted there are somethings that needs to be replaced but I "try to" get quality items and keep them operating safe.
I still use my dads all aluminum Skill 6" blade circular saw, circa 1949. He replaced a bearing or two & few brush sets and it still sings going through wood. He built our 4 bedroom, 2 story cape cod with it. I remember climbing the round rung wood ladder to the 2nd floor, at about 1.5 years old. AHhhh the memories.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I built my house in the late 80's with a 6.5 inch Dormeyer saw(all metal), and other treasures from the the 40's and 50's. I inherited the tools of several men that were woodsmen, craftsmen, carpenters and shipbuilders, of the wooden ship days. I make my living even today with my hands and my tools. It is a poor craftsmen that blames his tools for shoddy work....but the new tools are amazing and precise.

Kevin

181 - 197 of 197 Posts