Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 184 Posts

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
imported post

Hey Honda take a cue from Denny Hecker they got the same way, now He's running around depressed etc. lost his ass!
remeber the customer, not the profit margin comes first, can't wait to see if GMC is gonna fall! Big business what jerk's!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
imported post

I think the markup is completely up to the individual shop. I'm also aware that it costs money to have a local "brick and mortar" business that can answer my (possibly stupid) questions, so....

I don't object when things are slightly more, at my local shop, than I can get them by mail order from the "biggies" here, like Hondaline Direct or Bike Bandit.

By that, I mean 15-20%, not 50% :shock::?:D

I've bought competitively priced tires, filters and other basics from my "local" and been happy. But I don't like any business that has too much "attitude", unless that attitude is "whenever possible, make the customer happy". ;)

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

I just bought an 82 GL1100 from my local Honda Dealer, he also deals Suzuki and Harley. When I purchased it I was told they had just done a full service to the bike before storing it away last fall. When I got it home the stereo didn't work, the driving lights didn't work, the cigarette lighter didn't work. I sat down and tried to figure out what was wrong and found a couple of cut wires and a few more blown fuses, took all of a day of playing to find the issues. I went back in to see how much to change the timing belts, I was told over $800. It seems that the these guys aren't interested in working on the bike and if a complete service leaves wires cut and fuses blown I think I will change my oil this weekend in the driveway, and spend a little more time on this site to figure out how to change my own belts... wish me luck I may be trucking the bike to another shop about 75 miles away before the weekend is out.

Sak.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Many times it is not any different with a new bike. You will take it in for something , for example lets just say the engine is surging and wanting to die at the stops.

It is the pin plug to the air control on the fuel delivery system. (IAVC) So while in there to plug this in, they pull and tug and create more problems than they solve. Leave wire bundle clips undone and pry and tug at some connector because they do not know how to get it undone, and put pliers on it and crack the connector. Then they just leave it that way. (I just fixed a bike like that, used some tie wraps to hold the connectors together)

Normal with the type of service at most shops ..........and the reason most of us with experience will only go to a shop as a very last resort or for some major something we want fixed under warranty.

Even at that, when you get the bike back, it is time to go over it carefully and re-route all the wires and make sure all the wiring harness is free, not crimped and all that kind of thing.

I do not find what you experienced unusual, I would have been very surprised it it had been any other way.

There is only one thing you can count on as a sure fact at most dealers, and I say most not all, they will look you right in the eyes and lie to you. Count on it.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

Unfortunately, greed is the reason for owning the dealership, service managers on commission, and high school age mechanics working for 13% of the charged rate, and you get attitudes when you suggest. My 84 went to a local dealer in 92, hasn't been since, really unpleasant expensive experience. Bastards did work I didn't order, lawyer said no problem, BUT you will have to pay the bill to get bike back, or pay storage till we see judge in 6 or so months. Wonder if they were related.
I have a whole slew of metric tools now, and I'll fabricate parts to avoid the honda supp;y line. Glad there this place and people who know napa part numbers.

Come to think of it, same applies to the local ford dealer. Not to mention my last 2 jobs are now in mexico

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

well honda really screwed up when they made the WING.they just last too DAMN long.used to be BMW boxers had the rep for longevity.that now belongs to the goldwing.i agree with smokepole.$9/hour mechanics who they charge $80 an hour for.they dont have the tech knowledge to do anything but change fluids.so they tell you itll be $900 so you go somewhere else.the real reason is they dont have a tech who has the competent knowledge to do youre repair.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
imported post

Nightrider1 wrote:
Sir,
I believe that if you own a Honda, and a Local Honda shop that Sells and Services Honda's should work on bikes that are over 10 years old. They could do belts, tune ups, tires, Sync carbs, and all Kinds of stuff.
The dealer in Gadsden, Al. will not touch a Honda over 10 years old. I'll never buy a new Honda from him. Early last year, I went to a DIFFERENT dealer and bought my son a demo model that had only 40 miles on it! And I promise you, it wasn't a Honda.

Nightrider1 Aka David
Please allow me to tell you from personal experience. Dealers do not have techs that are experienced on older bikes. If a computer cannot tell them the problem and they actually have to use their brain then it is all over but the damage they cause getting your older wing apart. Southern Power Sports in Chattanooga taught me this lesson the hard way not to mention having the bike for 1 1/2 months.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
imported post

Dealers don't have techs that are experienced on old bikes, because they are often too CHEAP to pay them enough to keep them from moving on.

Temecula CA. had a tech such as this. He moved on to Powersports Superstore around the corner. Before he moved on, the Temecula dealer was one of those 10 year limit dealers. They would sell me parts, but wouldn't sync the carbs even if I paid up front! The very next week after Pete moved, I started sending him all 5 of my Hondas, including my new one. Temecula Motorsports' loss.

There is a dealer in Aurora Colorado that will also service old bikes. The parts man spent almost 30 minutes on the phone with me searching for a gas cap in the system for the 1100. We are away from home.

None of my bikes are POS'. You would think a dealer that has 10 pages of parts business on file mostly for the bike you want serviced would make an acception.

·
Slow Learner
1,485 Posts
imported post

Local Honda dealer in Jackson Michigan is famous for treating people like dirt. And has been for years. About a year ago I went in there just to look at a new Wing, certainly not to buy one. They had 3 of them for about $22,000 a piece. Then the economy went all to pieces. I went in there a month ago because they suddenly have the best price around on a new rear tire. Which they installed in a hurry, at a good price. And the 3 new Wings are still sitting there for sale. Now down to $18,000. Can't sell them because nobody in MI has any money. And now the Service Department is fast, efficient, and reasonably priced. Ain't that sumthin'!!!??? Oh yeah, and the Snake-Oil salesman that tried to rope me in last year on the overpriced new machines is long gone.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
imported post

Just reading the thread about the dealers....I have a mechanic done the street, advetises they work on all bikes. Walked in to ask a question and was told they do not work on 30 year old wings. Guess he does NOT work on ALL bikes. I have a found a mechanic I like. He has enough business that he is willing to tell me things to do and I can do them myself. He does not tell me to bring the bike in and he will lookk into it.

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
imported post

With reference to dealers not working on 10+ older bikes.

If a bike owner needs brakes or suspension work done and the dealers 10+ year rule applies, is the bike owner forced to attempt the repair oneself even though said owner knows nothing about the correct fix?
Are dealers forcing owners to ride unsafe machines on the roads?

If (any) said bolt breaks due to age, isn't that a "clue" to the manufacture to fix said problem?

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
imported post

texaswiz wrote:
Hey dudes, don't try riding your eleven year old Harley into the Harley shop expecting them to service it either. Once that puppy has it's tenth birthday party it is off to the Indy shop for service. At first I had a bad case of the hip, but got over it. The way they explained it to me was that it was hard enough for them to carry parts for ten different years, let alone carry parts for bikes over ten years old. I even mentioned the fact that given the fact that Harley parts cost twice what the parts for other bikes cost, they should be able to do it. That didn't set too well with the service mgr, so he just gave me the address of the local Indy shop. When I went to the Indy I asked him where he bought his Harley parts at. He said at the local Harley shop, where else?
The good thing about this was the fact that the Indy only charged $48.00 per hour and the Harley shop charged $88.00 for the same 60 minutes.
This is not universally true. High Country H-D in the Denver area will work on any EVO bike as long as it isn't totally trashed. These guys even carry a lot of the parts for the shovel-motor bikes, which are pre-'85. It just depends on the dealership.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

tomusa wrote:
Motorcycles are like high maintance women only the motorcycles are more fun.
Sounds like you should trade in your woman.:D

Either that or I should trade in my bike.:cheeky1:

:action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
imported post

It's fairly simple. It's tough for a dealership to convince customers that the old girl takes alot longer to repair or diagnose because seized fasteners, aftermarket add ons, sad assed "extra wiring" and generally beatup machines cost time and extra effort. These factory trained guys don't work for free, trust me.

Parts are not as accessible, nor are they cheap. Rather than slap the poor customer with a $100 hr service bill, we send them down to the independent, who will attempt the repair at a less expensive hourly rate, while buying the parts thru us. Our guys do all they can to get the flat rate jobs done on the newer machines at what the manufacturer wants to pay.

Customer gets away cheaper, the indy gets the work and we sell the parts.

That's business, folks. Happy all the way around.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
imported post

A Man after me own Black Heart, Argggggh!! lol

And the funny part livin in MN, this God forsaken state weather wise, I get ta laugh at all the Vike fan's all Year every year they just don't get it, (there loser's forever) and just when they get close what do they always do-lose! I feel sad for them.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
imported post

Why the Heck do people want to buy a bike and get treated like crap just because of the name, if I had big cash like say Jesse James, I'd stack a pile of Harley's and Wing's on National TV and just blow em up!just ta prove a point! no machine if flawless, however, we can learn to work on our own bike's and stop being White collor punks that hate to get there nice lil girly hand's dirty!

Those are the idiots that also help keep shop prices high the clowns with big checkbook's and no apptitude for hard work!

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
imported post

For those of you in or near Atlanta there is a shop that will service older hondas. No it is not a Honda shop only but they do sell alot of Wings and the service tech has about 30 yrs working on these older bikes.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

texaswiz wrote:I even mentioned the fact that given the fact that Harley parts cost twice what the parts for other bikes cost, they should be able to do it.

ever price a temp sensor for a 1000? all dealers charge incredibly high prices for parts

21 - 40 of 184 Posts