Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

61 - 80 of 184 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

I showed this thread to my local dealer and the miracle has now happened...

He says he'll fix my bike if I let him...

But I'm still not quite sure cos badwill attitude is hard to change...

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
imported post

Money talks, bullshit walks:

A dealer who needs business, and has a Wing owner willing to pay cash up front is very foolish to refuse such a customer!!

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

The problem may be his technicians can't handle the age of the bike. I had a 1965 Olds 442 that alot of places wouldn't touch, even to do tires.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
imported post

I for onetryto purchase American or Britishmade. . My 81 wingis a great bike, but when that goes...hello Victory, Harley,or Triumph. I always purchase Made in the USA first. I do not support putting my neighbor out of work just to save a few bucks on crap built by Countries that dump junk here just to increase market share made by low paid workers in sweatshops. You get what you pay for...and if you buy Chinese or Japanese you are not helping anyone in this country but a salesman.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

I know Harley dealers that will not work on bikes more than
10 years old nor take a 2 year old Harley on trade because it had 51,000 miles on the odometer!!!!

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

I called the Honda dealer today to see about putting tires on my new (to me) Wing - a 92 1500A. They told me that they wouldn't change the tires, but if I pulled the wheels off the bike, they'd do it. Their tire prices were high compared to what's online so I asked if they minded if I bought the tires elsewhere and brought everything in, the service mgr. said they would do it for $35.00 - mount and balance.I guess I'll have to make some calls to some shops around here in case I run into something I can't/don't want to deal with - it would be nice to know someone out there would help.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
imported post

I farm out my work (for now) to American Biker in Ladson SC.Primarily a Harley/custom chopper shop etc.. but sells antique bikes as well.Interestingly enough, there is a sign posted in the shop quoting a different, higher labor rate for bikes more than 20 years old. I do not get charged this rate because my mechanic loves Goldwings. I wouldn't consider taking my bike to the local Honda dealer simply because of the age factor. Just my .02.

Patrick

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

81 wing wrote:
I for onetryto purchase American or Britishmade. . My 81 wingis a great bike, but when that goes...hello Victory, Harley,or Triumph. I always purchase Made in the USA first. I do not support putting my neighbor out of work just to save a few bucks on crap built by Countries that dump junk here just to increase market share made by low paid workers in sweatshops. You get what you pay for...and if you buy Chinese or Japanese you are not helping anyone in this country but a salesman.
You sound like some Harley riders I know, and thats fine. Sounds like you really want a Harley now and I would say go for it.

When you go to buy something for that harley or ESPECIALLY a Victory, do not look at the package for where the itemwas made.

I have said it before on this forum, I think we are going to see a new era of Honda Motorcycle coming soon, something spectacular, something fantastic,and once again they will be way out in front. :clapper:

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

my local power house dosent have a problem working on older bikes if you want to pay their labor rates

plus they only employ 2 experienced techs and 2 or 3 apprentices not bad but i wouldnt want a non experienced tech to work on my bike in experience isnt bad but you need trained techs now they dont train on 30 yr. old bikes at colleges and tech schools but other tan computer training its all just nuts and bolts 70% common sense 20% experience and 10% of luck lol but thats just my opinion

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

You know I really hate to admit this. But if I didn't do my own work on my wings I'd consider another machine and it wouldn't be a Honda. And if I should get lucky and can buy a new bike It SURE won't be a Honda. IT PROBABLY BE A HARLEY

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
imported post

Right winger wrote:
You know I really hate to admit this. But if I didn't do my own work on my wings I'd consider another machine and it wouldn't be a Honda. And if I should get lucky and can buy a new bike It SURE won't be a Honda. IT PROBABLY BE A HARLEY

So if you have a Harley you wouldn't do your own work??, or that you wouldn't need to work on it??

Owning a Harley is a guarantee that work will be required.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Right winger wrote:
I don't understand why you said this, but to each his own. If a Harley is over 10, they also do not work on them. If your HD is HIGHLY modified, you can forget them working on it if is over 5 years old.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i agree the hd dealer in our area wont touch super custom bikes im sure you all are picky but omg ive never seen that type of overreaction from anyone but an hd owner

it dosent matter if its an hd or a custom chopper with a hd motor and tranny in it the only thing diffrent from my 1980 to my dads brand new hd's is that i can find all my parts relatively easy and cheap but at the end of the day it dosent matter as long as your happy with your ride

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
imported post

:cool: I'm told, since 1980, Goldwings are made in Ohio, the good old USA!

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Whether technically made in the USA or Japan, it will be my Motorcycle of choice.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

The reason most Harley dealers will work on any year is because they ain't changed much at all in all those years. Rather old technology it seems. Plus they get alot of practice.hahaha

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

I, for one, am kind of glad that my local Stealer won't work on my '84 Aspy. When I first bought the bike and brought her back from N. Carolina, the first place I stopped was the local Honda Stealer. Just wanted him to check it out for me. He declined using the "more than 10 years old" excuse and quoting me $100/hour for labor.

Thanks to that I:

1) came home, searched the internet and found this forum

2) learned to work on my bike myself

Thanks! Honda Stealer!

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

oldtoys1961 wrote:
The reason most Harley dealers will work on any year is because they ain't changed much at all in all those years. Rather old technology it seems. Plus they get alot of practice.hahaha
Most Harley Dealers will NOT work on Harleys that are 10 years or older.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

I have to throw in my dealer story. Last year I needed tires for my '86. My friend the Honda mechanic at the local dealership had just retired and I had no faith in the guy that replaced him. Another friend recommended a dealership (Just for Fun Honda in Middlefield, OH)that was 40 miles away. I called them and told them I needed tires ordered and installed for my '86 GL1200I. They said no problem....they let me order the tires I wanted over the phone - after I gave them my credit card to pay for the tires. A week goes by and a nice lady calls to say the tires are in. I ask when can they put them on. She asks what year, etc and I tell her. She says they don't work on bikes that old. Now they didn't have any trouble running my credit card for the tires, but now that I paid for them, they won't put them on. They offered to mount them if I removed the wheels and brought them in, but they flat refused to install the tires on the bike. So I drove 40 miles each way to get my new tires and I had a very loud talk with the Service Manager, who was the guy that I originally spoke to over the phone and who ordered the tires for me. I then went over and apologized to the nice lady that was working the parts counter who I am sure that I was not very nice to over the phone, took my tires and left.

I called around and found the Service Manager at Sill's Honda in Cleveland, OH. He agreed to swap out the tires for me, and they did a very nice job. They even called me to tell me the rear pads needed replaced and there would be no labor charge because everything was already apart.

I explained the issue with the other dealership and he said that sometimes when working on the older bikes things break and then the owner gets pissed and it's a huge issue. I get that - I don't like it, but I get it.

I think it's just wrong to order parts for someone knowing full well that they want them installed, and then refuse to install them after they have paid for the parts. I truely couldn't care less if Just for Fun Honda was giving things away. I will never patronize that dealership again, ever.

So Kudos to Sill's.

I also agree with many of the posts above that the newer mechanics aren't the same as the old guys, the guys that work by the way it sounds, not what their computer says. That's what scared me away from the local dealership. The new guy had been a mechanic for about 10 minutes.

Anyway, I wish that the dealerships could still service their products well. I ended up selling the 1200 partly because I didn't want to deal with where to get her fixed. I figured that eventually she would break, right?

I have a few years before my 1800 gets to the magic "10". And I have a pretty good new Jap bike mechanic that does work on the side.

Thanks to all the guys on here that have guided me through the repairs that I have tackled myself.

61 - 80 of 184 Posts