Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

101 - 120 of 184 Posts

·
Old Broad
3,841 Posts
imported post

Th4e dealership I deal with is 3-D Cycles in Abbotsford and they are an old family business that has been around for decades. They have a mechanic that is excellent &will not do any work that is needed & if it is critical he will call & if not will tell me about the problem when I pick up Baby. They never hesitate & I have a Voyager trike kit on. But they have a trike lift as well as a auto lift. So getting Baby up in the air is no problem. Thier rates are 75 winter & 90 summer.:applause::applause::applause:

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
imported post

Lol..funny how we enjoy our time off but hate to see someone we need (in a time of need) have time off.:baffled:

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Again, very long thread, and I have not yet had the chance to read all of it. I am familiar with the "10 year dealers", and they will not only not work on a bike more than 10 years old, but will not sell parts for them, nor sell them at the dealership. They will take them in trade, but give you almost nothing, even if it is a classic in near mint condition. They wholesale these bikes off to various places.

The problem with todays "mechanics" is that they are no longer "mechanics", but parts changers. They hook the vehicle up to a computer, it tells them what part to replace, and they replace it. You will not find many dealership "mechanics that can rebuild an engine anymore, anything complicated, and they just replace it. Car dealers are the same way. They do not rebuild engines or transmissions, they replace them with new or already rebuilt ones.

I am not a professional mechanic, but I have built and rebuilt several engines, including a couple of small block Chevy drag race engines that did very well. I had to rebuild the 2 speed Ford-O-Matic transmission in my '64 Fairlane myself, in the middle of summer (AZ) because no local transmission shop would touch it. Turned out to be a piece of cake once I had the manual and located the parts.

I have never seen a dealer that I would trust my vehicle too. If I really do need a mechanic, I know I will not find one at a dealer. You need to find some kind of specialty shop. We have a Goldwing only shop here too, but I would not use them. I called them looking for some moly paste for the rear drive, they didn't have any. They tried to sell me some BelRay waterproof grease, said it's what they used.

I am part of the classic car crowd around here, and have done work on quite a few 40-50 year old cars. (I own 2) For the most part they are drop dead easy, IF you can find the parts.

As for Harley, well, that's the advantage of sticking with one basic design forever, something I wish the Japanese would learn. I would love to be able to buy a near new GL1100 or 1200. I would love to be able to get parts for my 26 year old 1200. I really have no interest in the computerized 1500 or 1800, and couldn't afford the 1800 anyway. And unlike the 1000, 1100, and 1200, I doubt many of those bikes will be around in 30 years, because of the cheap way they are built, with all the failure prone electronics that cost more than the bike is worth.

·
Old Broad
3,841 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
Again, very long thread, and I have not yet had the chance to read all of it. I am familiar with the "10 year dealers", and they will not only not work on a bike more than 10 years old, but will not sell parts for them, nor sell them at the dealership. They will take them in trade, but give you almost nothing, even if it is a classic in near mint condition. They wholesale these bikes off to various places.

The problem with todays "mechanics" is that they are no longer "mechanics", but parts changers. They hook the vehicle up to a computer, it tells them what part to replace, and they replace it. You will not find many dealership "mechanics that can rebuild an engine anymore, anything complicated, and they just replace it. Car dealers are the same way. They do not rebuild engines or transmissions, they replace them with new or already rebuilt ones.

I am not a professional mechanic, but I have built and rebuilt several engines, including a couple of small block Chevy drag race engines that did very well. I had to rebuild the 2 speed Ford-O-Matic transmission in my '64 Fairlane myself, in the middle of summer (AZ) because no local transmission shop would touch it. Turned out to be a piece of cake once I had the manual and located the parts.

I have never seen a dealer that I would trust my vehicle too. If I really do need a mechanic, I know I will not find one at a dealer. You need to find some kind of specialty shop. We have a Goldwing only shop here too, but I would not use them. I called them looking for some moly paste for the rear drive, they didn't have any. They tried to sell me some BelRay waterproof grease, said it's what they used.

I am part of the classic car crowd around here, and have done work on quite a few 40-50 year old cars. (I own 2) For the most part they are drop dead easy, IF you can find the parts.

As for Harley, well, that's the advantage of sticking with one basic design forever, something I wish the Japanese would learn. I would love to be able to buy a near new GL1100 or 1200. I would love to be able to get parts for my 26 year old 1200. I really have no interest in the computerized 1500 or 1800, and couldn't afford the 1800 anyway. And unlike the 1000, 1100, and 1200, I doubt many of those bikes will be around in 30 years, because of the cheap way they are built, with all the failure prone electronics that cost more than the bike is worth.
Jerry, you comment on not having time to read long post & then you turn around & post one yourself.:?:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::action::action::action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
imported post

The problem with todays "mechanics" is that they are no longer "mechanics", but parts changers. They hook the vehicle up to a computer, it tells them what part to replace, and they replace it. You will not find many dealership "mechanics that can rebuild an engine anymore, anything complicated, and they just replace it. Car dealers are the same way. They do not rebuild engines or transmissions, they replace them with new or already rebuilt ones

OH PLEASE...GIVE ME A BREAK:XGo visit some dealerships and visit with your local mechanics. I am a mechanic by trade and have made a living for close to thirty years.

Twenty four of those years at three different Dodge dealerships,a couple of years at my own shop and the last four or so at a small area car lot.There are about 365 different things that can turn on that check engine light on most of todays cars.I can promise you one thing....there is not a tool or computer around that will or can tell you what part to replace.The diagnostic flow charts for each and every test must me followed and properly conducted in order to get the proper repair.Just because a code says oxygen sensor dont mean it is.Another component failure can cause a false code or change inhow that component acts causing a fault.I have known some damn fine mechanics at dealerships,and yes they can rebuild a engine and or trans,front suspension or work on the electronics to rearends.Are there bad ones yep...just after a buck...yep. I started at a dealership at the age of fifteen in detail and my uncle who raised me was a mechanic all his life from aircraft to cars.Now I will say that new out of school guys for the most part fit your idea of a today mechanic.Many have no experince and are taught the basics and how to pass a ASE test(Yes I am ASE certified for the last twenty years)But the dealerships do not rebuild much any more.Lets see.....better than 95.00 per hour labor rate,you dont want them to...but its not cost effective any more.I have rebuilt jeep engines and rearends under warranty depending on the failure but most times they replace.Many of those same mechanics do work on the side for far less than in the shop.Most dealerships work on the 70% rule,if cost to repair is over that its replaced.Its not because all the mechanics dont know how...they are not allowed.Point being....all mechanics are not stupid parts changers.....all motorcycle riders are not a** holes...all guys are not jerks and all women are not bit****.........:raspberry:

·
Old Broad
3,841 Posts
imported post

dodgedartlover wrote:
The problem with todays "mechanics" is that they are no longer "mechanics", but parts changers. They hook the vehicle up to a computer, it tells them what part to replace, and they replace it. You will not find many dealership "mechanics that can rebuild an engine anymore, anything complicated, and they just replace it. Car dealers are the same way. They do not rebuild engines or transmissions, they replace them with new or already rebuilt ones

OH PLEASE...GIVE ME A BREAK:XGo visit some dealerships and visit with your local mechanics. I am a mechanic by trade and have made a living for close to thirty years.

Twenty four of those years at three different Dodge dealerships,a couple of years at my own shop and the last four or so at a small area car lot.There are about 365 different things that can turn on that check engine light on most of todays cars.I can promise you one thing....there is not a tool or computer around that will or can tell you what part to replace.The diagnostic flow charts for each and every test must me followed and properly conducted in order to get the proper repair.Just because a code says oxygen sensor dont mean it is.Another component failure can cause a false code or change inhow that component acts causing a fault.I have known some damn fine mechanics at dealerships,and yes they can rebuild a engine and or trans,front suspension or work on the electronics to rearends.Are there bad ones yep...just after a buck...yep. I started at a dealership at the age of fifteen in detail and my uncle who raised me was a mechanic all his life from aircraft to cars.Now I will say that new out of school guys for the most part fit your idea of a today mechanic.Many have no experince and are taught the basics and how to pass a ASE test(Yes I am ASE certified for the last twenty years)But the dealerships do not rebuild much any more.Lets see.....better than 95.00 per hour labor rate,you dont want them to...but its not cost effective any more.I have rebuilt jeep engines and rearends under warranty depending on the failure but most times they replace.Many of those same mechanics do work on the side for far less than in the shop.Most dealerships work on the 70% rule,if cost to repair is over that its replaced.Its not because all the mechanics dont know how...they are not allowed.Point being....all mechanics are not stupid parts changers.....all motorcycle riders are not a** holes...all guys are not jerks and all women are not bit****.........:raspberry:
Aw don't be too hard on him DDL. He is old school that refuses to change & doesn't know how to deal with the electronics. I am not a mechanic & I completely rebuilt a 327 300hp Chevy after I pushed 2 rods out the back and it ran great for years later. And I'm a broad. It doesn't take any real skill to work on those old beastys, just an attention to detail & cleanliness. Angela aka fysty-1:waving::waving::waving::action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
imported post

Hey,old school is good,I was raised old school and you are right....thats may favorite saying to guys Ive trained,attention to detail.Lol,Ive known some good wrench turning ladies:smiler:gender matters not,just have to enjoy the work.....Really was not meaning to sound like being hard on anyone.....trust me If ever in the same place would be happy to buy a cup of coffee:blackstuff:and shoot the breeze.No offense intended for sure.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

·
Old Broad
3,841 Posts
imported post

dodgedartlover wrote:
Hey,old school is good,I was raised old school and you are right....thats may favorite saying to guys Ive trained,attention to detail.Lol,Ive known some good wrench turning ladies:smiler:gender matters not,just have to enjoy the work.....Really was not meaning to sound like being hard on anyone.....trust me If ever in the same place would be happy to buy a cup of coffee:blackstuff:and shoot the breeze.No offense intended for sure.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
Aw what can one say to a mopar lover except Great! My dream car is a 68 Charger slipped over a 2011 Charger SLT Hemi. At one time I wanted to drop a 240Z body on a 350Z chassis. What can I say.:D:D:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
imported post

I would sometimes love to drop off my 81 Wing or my 84 Magna at the dealer for some service.. I have even offered to pay up-front for the service fee so they won't think I will abandon it like so many others before me. I have even offered to have the requisite parts ready to go up front so the technician with the know-how and the special service tools will have a minimum of hassle. My bikes are cleaner than 99.9% of the bikes that come in for service and I have been a six-digit parts customer for over 10 years. They still look down their noses and give me the "I smell s***" look". I don't go there anymore.

I just bought a brand new VFR1200 at the second dealer that seemed to have their collective acts together, with salesmen that knew their product, and followed up their phone calls. Even though I just bought a VFR1200 and my husband owns a GL1800. The answer is always "no" to the older bikes.

I have even gotten this same policy over the phone from Honda Corporate in Torrance, CA. BUT, they did point out a couple of dealers in the Los Angeles area that would make the acception and work on Wings

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

I live on the state line of NC, Ga and TN. Our only Honda Dealer Will not work on GL over 10years thay didn't even know what a SEI is. the only orter honda dealer is about 150 miles away. I try to do most work my self if i can but there is a yamaha shop that will work on anything..Thay always have me sing a work papper and when something happens thay always call and let me know first befor ortering any thay that was not on the work order

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

I live on the state line of NC, Ga and TN. Our only Honda Dealer Will not work on GL over 10years thay didn't even know what a SEI is. the only orter honda dealer is about 150 miles away. I try to do most work my self if i can but there is a yamaha shop that will work on anything..Thay always have me sing a work papper and when something happens thay always call and let me know first befor ortering any thay that was not on the work order

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

·
Old Broad
3,841 Posts
imported post

Harley wrote:
Harley, In the future, please only ckick the send button once, Sometines it seems to take forever but once you have clicked the button, it has been sent. Thanks Angela aka fysty-1:waving::waving::waving::waving::action::action::action::action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

Part of the logic behind dealerships not worknig on bikes > 10yo old (unless you bought it fom them) is to:

1. encourage you to buy vehicles from them to begin with

2. simple jobs like brake pad change could turn into a comp[lete caliper/brake system rebuild due to frozen pistons or some other reason. now instread of the $130 they quoted the customer, they're having to charge $435 - if they can get the paerts they need to do it.

It's more trouble than it's worth to dealerships; thankfully, there are plewnty of decent indies out there who never turn away a bike.

Now, as for h-Ds, my local dealer will work on any year regardless of where you bought it.

Greg

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

First of all, I did not read the entire THREAD, but read enough of it to pretty much see what it was about, then made a post on it. I am NOT a professional mechanic, and I have rebuilt several car engines and automatic transmissions. I won't say a child could do it, but it is not that difficult. It IS time consuming if you do it right, and double check everything. I'm talking about 30+ year old engines and transmissions. I wouldn't touch the new stuff. Fysty-1 is correct, I am old school, and not about to change. I love the old stuff. Not just because it is easy for me to work on, But I have a philosophical issue with mixing electronics and mechanics. To me, it just isn't right. I would like to do exactly the opposite of what Fysty-1 was talking about. I would like to take the body of a new Mustang, Challenger, Camaro, or a few other models I can think of, and rip out all the electronics, fuel injection, computers, and put an old style carbureted engine in them.

The newest car I have ever owned was a '77 Camaro, I have 2 cars now, a '64 Fairlane, and a '72 Pinto Squire station wagon.

I know several mechanics that can and do build engines and transmissions, but they do not work at dealers, they work for local speed shops. They can build you anything from a stock engine to a 1000+ hp race engine.

I have owned several Kawasakis, and the local Kawasaki dealer service department will not rebuild an engine. If it reaches that point, they remove it, and ship it back to Kawasaki. I don't know about Honda dealers, but I doubt they would either.

That 70% rule sounds a lot like what the insurance companies use to decide whether a vehicle is totaled or not.

I do all my own work on my own vehicles, the cars I can keep running literally forever, the bikes, well most of them are simply not designed for that, and while it could be done if you could find the parts, would cost a fortune, unlike the old cars.

My son in law spent $30,000 to go to UTI (Universal Technical Institute), and is now working for a local Ford dealer doing oil changes and other basic maintenance. He is ASE certified in several things, But he cannot rebuild an engine. My guess is newer car engines are like Japanese motorcycle engines, and were not designed to be rebuilt.

A guy named Edward Demming is the father of the disposable car, and probably where the Japanese got their designs for disposable motorcycles. His ideas definitely improved quality and manufacturing efficiency, but at the cost of the vehicles costing more to rebuild than they were worth. He virtually ended the era of classic cars and bikes. The much heralded '69 Honda CB750 four was considered a technological masterpiece for it's time. Today it is often considered a classic. But nobody sells new parts for it. I can easily get parts for vintage cars, all the way back to the Model T.

Back to the original title of the thread, I suspect a lot of the reason why Japanese dealers won't work on anything more than 10 years old is twofold. One is that they can't get parts. The other is that the technology changes so often they can't keep up with it. They have to be constantly retrained to work on the new stuff, and the old stuff gets forgotten about.

I am dedicated to keeping the old stuff going, with cars that is easy, with motorcycles you need either a Harley or an old British bike. Seems there will always be parts available for those, and for those who can't do their own work, there are mechanics who specialize in these bikes.

Sorry for such a long post, I just ran into some major problems with my LTD, major because the parts are no longer available. I finally located some used ones, and hope they are good. But this has made me stop and think about what owning this bike will be like. Will it spend half it's time broken down because parts are no longer available, and most of the other half being worked on?

And lastly, I did not mean any offense to anyone out there. This forum has been an invaluable source of information ever since I bought this bike, and out of 4 GW forums I belong to, this one is where I spend most of my time. Jerry.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
imported post

JerryH
no time this am but going to shoot a pm your way later on.
Have a good rest of the week.Enjoyed reading the post:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I read lot's of post's on here and other goldwing boards. They seem to have the same theme. Guy takes his s#itty running bike into a mechanic for a tune up sync. Gets all bent out of shape that the mechanic charged him $600 dollars. Then is irate because his wing does not run right and blames it on the stupid mechanic who ripped him off.
I don't blame any mechanic or dealer for not wanting to work on old wing's. I bought my 1100 from a shop that had it in for repair and the guy bailed on it. I got it for 300 and i'm shure the shop took a loss on it.
Most wings are antiques and they are expensive to repair
wilf

101 - 120 of 184 Posts