Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

161 - 180 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Wrenching is almost as much of a form of therapy as riding is.
I agree - it's also quite fun trying to find the necessary parts without using Honda. Riding trouble free on an older bike is also satisfying. Find that I get more favourable comments on my '85 than on the newer '08 1800. We are a modern society, but there are a lot of people who appreciate older/vintage bikes.

I spent 25 years in our Navy, as a marine engineering artificer and marine engineering systems officer, mostly operating/maintaining steam plants and respective equipment. I find that the skills I learned are paying dividends with this older bike. Still a little rusty with the electrics and electronics though.

Look forward to a great summer of riding on this '85 LTD. Cheers

·
Registered
180 Posts
There is a Polaris/Yahaha dealer up the road from Honda that sells Bikes, and he said he would instll new belts on my bike for $65.00 Labor, but I found out mine were not all that old, so I did bot have to do anything. Also, This dealer in Gadsden will do Anything to ANY Goldwing. Nice to know if you need a carb set. Hakes Honda look like a limited 10 year old dealer.
Nightrider1
I know this is an old thread but night rider1 where is this shop at i am in jasper al. And only one shop around here will even change my oil.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nightrider1,

The same thing happened to me recently. We just bought our first Honda a 2005 GL1800A 25k, that has a 2016 Roadsmith HTS Kit. 2 weeks into rifing the FI Light comes on. Call the Honda dealer in Jackson, MS don't bring it here. Also due to the nature of the beast you need the Honda only scan tool to pull the code. I called Honda and filed a complaint they basically said so sad to bad. So off it went to Brookhaven Honda some 60+ miles away. HUGE mistake 5 weeks later I get it back they finally at my insistence pull the codes and it a #26 knock sensor. But they can't duplicate the problem. Well I sure could 25 miles after leaving their shop on came the FI light again. $248.00 for an oil change and a duty oil stained bike was all I got out of that deal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No Kickstand on trike means no way to "side stand down". I tried to trick it by using service jack to create angle and shorting out kickstand plug wires that were left over but that trick did not work.

·
Administrator
57,342 Posts
I usually park mine on the center stand, but I have seen that FI light both ways, upright, and leaning over. don't think that leaning over has anything to do with it.

DaveO430 will be along as we get closer to dark, and he will straighten us out.

·
Administrator
24,334 Posts
No Kickstand on trike means no way to "side stand down". I tried to trick it by using service jack to create angle and shorting out kickstand plug wires that were left over but that trick did not work.
No, leaning has nothing to do with it. You would connect the yellow/black to the green wire, start the engine without touching the throttle. What you need most likely is an ECM, it's almost never the knock sensor. The dealer that wouldn't touch it is probably because it's a trike, not because of it's age. Some of them are funny like that, like my closest dealer won't work on one with a car tire on the rear, not that I would take it to them anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think its a wire going to the knock sensor. But had no way of knowing without pulling the stored code. The in-town dealer would not even do that. No- bikes over 10 years old they specifically said because of age. I complained so much there is now a sign up. I went by and checked they had two newer trikes in for service albeit Motor Trike brand.

·
Administrator
24,334 Posts
I think its a wire going to the knock sensor. But had no way of knowing without pulling the stored code. The in-town dealer would not even do that. No- bikes over 10 years old they specifically said because of age. I complained so much there is now a sign up. I went by and checked they had two newer trikes in for service albeit Motor Trike brand.

I guess they figure they have enough to do. You already had the code, #26, left knock sensor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, so now I am going to trace all the wiring to it and make sure there are no shorts or disconnects. I noted this time it came on when I hit a good bump on the highway and it jarred the front end. I am also going to check the kickstand connection (even though I have no kick or center stand) the wiring to harness needs to be intact or it will set it off also I believe. Hoping its not the ECM.

·
Administrator
57,342 Posts
DaveO430 replaced the ECM on my '02 and the problem disappeared forever.

oh, the MPG will improve quite a bit once the problem gets fixed.

I gained something like around 7 to 10 mpg.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah now that you mention that I noticed 70 miles and 3/8th of a tank seems excessive even for a trike on the highway. It will probably be the ECM but dang they are big $$$. :)

·
Administrator
57,342 Posts
Yeah now that you mention that I noticed 70 miles and 3/8th of a tank seems excessive even for a trike on the highway. It will probably be the ECM but dang they are big $$$. :)
keep in mind, that if you push the tach beyond about 2800-3000 rpm, fuel mileage is going to fall thru the bottom of the bucket. especially on a trike because you are pushing a lot of air...

with my prior Tulsa Tall windscreen, about 33 mpg was the best it would do at 60-65.
if pulling the trailer it fell to 30 and below real quick when the tach gets over 3000

·
Registered
14 Posts
So after the dealer had the bike for 5 weeks and could not duplicate the FI light i picked it up last Saturday 29th. I didn't get 10 miles from the dealer and the FI light came back on. Drove it home another 45 miles and it started to stall every time I slowed down. Had to feather the throttle to avoid this. Oh and when I picked up the bike the service guy (not the one I had been dealing with) says how come you got just an oil change and didn't want the full 25k service? WHAT Austin said that was all that was due at 25k. NOT!!!

Called a different dealer on Monday and he let me talk to his top tech, (its 90 min away but will be going there from now on) ran through the whole story he immediately said ECM. Spoke to parts on back order til???

Long story short found new one online for $240 less than dealer wanted and did it and air filter myself this past Friday, bike runs great. Hope that is all the big $$$$ for a while.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dealerships are not the Government

I know this is an old thread.... But..... I just had a horrific dealership experience. Last year. Won't go into details, but a service tech sabotaged my bike! Weird, huh? But they went out of business soon after. Willy World in Joliet, IL.
Here was the basis of my beef: I wasn't bringing in an old cycle for diagnostics, because I had a "problem". It was routine maintenance. I could do it, but did not have the time. Had the money, no time. I wasn't asking for much. Forks and fluids. I sourced the fork parts 2 weeks before, and delivered them.
I do all routine maintenance on many 20/15/10 yo cycles I own. Fluids, pads, chains, sprockets, bs...... Sometimes I am flush, but don't have a garage/area/tools. They took 3 weeks to turn around my cycle.
I would never take my cycle to a dealership if I had weird/diagnostic problems. Unless it was a new bike.

I am ok with The Dealership Stance. Think it is shortsighted, as GoldWing is the flagship. All GoldWings should be serviced. It is the Honda Way! With communication and agreements.

Have experience with Indy shops, when I was a newbie. Left off/did not tighten steering head bolts! But, you can't beat, cheap! I was fine with work/price, and managed my terror.0:)

Just like a lot of American history- find a good shop, give them all your business, and talk, talk, talk. The Free Market is a beautiful thing.

AzGl1800 has 52 THOUSAND posts!:claps::claps::claps::gunhead:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I guess some dealers don't want to worry about sourcing parts for old bike, or maybe it is worrying about breaking loose frozen bolts and such. Could be plastic gets brittle over time and they worry about breaking body work.

I had a similar situation to Malcolm where I had the money and not the time/interest in doing several routine mx items. Took my 88 GL to an independent shop. Never asked for carb work, but the guy "rebuilt" the carbs. He did such a lousy job, the bike is barely rideable. And he failed to do other items I wanted. 8 months later and I STILL get angry just thinking about it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The ten year rule is due to the fact some if not most of all the repairs may cost more than the bike itself. Honda is afraid doing $1500 repair bill on a $1200 bike. Then the owner is not wanting to pay the bill.
I disagree totally. The dealers in my area won't even put tires on when you are willing to pay for the tires and expected labor to install up front. It is silly that many dealers will not even install tires on a bike over 10 years old even if the customer is willing to pay upfront.

It is not the fear of getting stuck with an expensive repair, many car dealers will work on 50 year old cars and they face the same issues at the motorcycle dealers. It is really a short-sightedness that keeps them blind to potentials.

·
Administrator
24,334 Posts
The ten year rule is due to the fact some if not most of all the repairs may cost more than the bike itself. Honda is afraid doing $1500 repair bill on a $1200 bike. Then the owner is not wanting to pay the bill.
A misconception here is that Honda is doing this, it is NOT Honda, it is the individual dealers, Honda does NOT own the dealerships.

161 - 180 of 184 Posts