Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

It's getting colder up here, and my perpetually chilly Wife is pleading for a direction correction on our next tour. We had planned to go northeast, into VT, NH etc...

Wehad a ball onthe whole BRP and Dragonthis summer, and hammered upstate NY a few times last year [incredible].

We are considering a West Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee loop. This would get us a bit westto some unfamiliar territory, yet stay south enough to keep the Mrs. from chattering her teeth into the intercom too much.

We have a weeks vacationto play with, and I figured some friendly locals may be able to shed some light on points of interest, cheap sleeping, etc...in the area . . . . . . please ?? :)

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

If your that close, why not swing on down into North Alabama and some of us will meet you up there.:action:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Yeah, we're getting a cold snap here in Austin. Dipping down to the low 90's during the day. Sure beats the 68 days of 100 degree + temps we've been having.

I spent a last 3 weeks in PA, drove through Tamaqua a couple of times. I really enjoyed the central and Eastern part of PA. A welcome change in temps from here!

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Mountains... Riding in the Mountains. Nothing finer.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

West Virginia has some truly breath taking scenery. The Sandstone area is absolutely gorgeous, especially in the fall.
Plenty of twisty mountain roads.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

I need to head down to Tennesee myself. We burried my brother down there last year and I miss that knucklehead. I'd like to ride up to Cades Cove, one of my brothers favorite places, and offer him up a thought or two. The hills are beautiful there and the twisty curvys seem to go on and on. You will enjoy that country. They talk funny though.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
imported post

TENNESSEE IS AWSOME PLACE TO RIDE,MOUNTAINS,FIELDS OF CLOVER,TWISTYS.LIKE NIGHTWIZARD SAID WE CAN ALL MEET UP SOMEWHERE.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
imported post

BBACH WE DOWN HERE DONT TALK NO FUNNIER THEN YALL UP ER.LOL

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
imported post

Southern West Virginia, thru Wyoming, Mercer, and McDowel counties do not have any straight roads (or at least no long streches) and some of the best scenery in the world. Better hotels around Beckley, but the lodge at Twin Falls State Park is nice, also, Pineville has a couple of motels, I always stay at the Cow Shed Motel, not too expensive, and a good resturant with real good pizza. Only realy bad thing about WV is the lack of good cell towers, AT&T works barely, forget it if you use Verizon. But the roads will put the Dragon to shame in a lot of areas. And there are plenty to see. Also, don't forget about eastern Kentucky, plenty of good curvy mountain roads between Williamson WV and Pikeville KY. Hope this gives you some ideas.:)

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Excellent. Thanks, Gene. All input appreciated :)

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
imported post

Have you set your perpetually chilly wife up with Gerbings? They solve the cold wife problem for me, and extend my ridinf season until there is snow on the roads. I've ridden into the teens, no problem. (I can't get her out much below 40, but that's much better than pre-Gerbings)

A jacket liner is under $200, and makes a huge difference. Don't go with just a vest, having the heat for her arms is important, since she gets more wind-blast than you do.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
imported post

As Gene stated there are some beautiful roads in WV to ride if you do decide to come the route through McDowell county watch your speed they are sticklers there if you have AT&T there is cell service in Welch WV and in all of Mercer county. There is also some very breath taking scenery down through Randolph and Pocahontas Greenbrier and Summers county. If you decide on a route let us know and I am sure we can be of more help to you. Its only about 90 minutes from Mercer county to the BRP at Fancy Gap VA.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

Being from W.Va. I love the roads; especially McDowell Co. But living in Knoxville allows me to ride beautiful roads all year. If you guys are coming this way I would love to ride with you!

Bernie

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
imported post

It seem's to me that wherw ever you want to ride just mention it here and you will get as mucn info as you need . and not only that if you keep your itenary posted you will have a lot of company to take part of the trip with you .great place to meet friends on this forum.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

boxcar43 wrote:
It seem's to me that wherw ever you want to ride just mention it here and you will get as mucn info as you need . and not only that if you keep your itenary posted you will have a lot of company to take part of the trip with you .great place to meet friends on this forum.
You REALLY DO meet the nicest people on a Honda !!

[I used to think that was just an advertising slogan]

Royak - If we get anything penciled out, I'll likely take you up on the additional data offer, via PM- Thanks !! :):):)

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
imported post

2 words - Gattlinburg, Tennesee

http://www.gatlinburg.com/things-to-do/

If you go anywhere during a riding season, visit Gattlinburg, TN a fun town with a ton of stuff to do, my wife and I rented a local cabin with 1 bedroom and a hot tub overlooking the mountains for only $129 a night, then toke a ride through "the valley of the dragon" smokey moutain ride through the mountains a few times.. awesome!

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
imported post

As a rule of thumb, for every 100miles you go South, the season changes (warmer) by one week.

The only finer riding than KY and TN is in Idaho and Washington State. The problem with that is winter starts in September.

If you do get down to the Knoxville area look me up. I'll go for a ride with you to.

Burt

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
imported post

A lott of great rides here in WestVirigina.To many to even list.If you come this way let me know maybe we can ride togather a little.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
imported post

Wingnumberone wrote:
boxcar43 wrote:
You REALLY DO meet the nicest people on a Honda !!

[I used to think that was just an advertising slogan]

Royak - If we get anything penciled out, I'll likely take you up on the additional data offer, via PM- Thanks !! :):):)
Just let me know and I will be glad to help in any way I can. We live in Southern WV and ride all the roads around her in all the counties mentioned. Just let me know what you are looking for. I know that the leaves are turning here now but due to some surgery a little while back we have been unable to ride lately but I am hoping to be back in the saddle very soon. I personally think the ride down route 219 is one of the most beautiful in the state You get on it at Elkins WV and come all the way to Rt 460 in Rich Creek VA. As I said just let me know. Roy

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

Pate wrote:
BBACH WE DOWN HERE DONT TALK NO FUNNIER THEN YALL UP ER.LOL
Don't get me wrong, I love Tennessee. All the waitresses call me darlin.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.