Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '85 gl1200 Interstate and when I ride in chilly weather low 40s or below there is a whining or grinding noise from the motor. It almost sounds like starter sticking but I don't think that is it. Anyone had this problem? It only does it in cooler weather.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
you mean when you are starting it??

its common on older goldwings, you need to use a lighter oil..

its sounds really bad, the starter spins but wont spin the engine, takes a couple of tries before you can start the bike and wont happen again until the engine and oil gets cold.

use a lighter oil and problem solved.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
I guess it could be your starter sticking. What weight oil are you running in it?

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry should have explained a little better. It's not when I try to start it but when I'm riding down the road, and after I've gone a few miles.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
A couple of things come to mind...one might be the speedometer cable, or another might be one of the idler pulleys for the timing belts.:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Let's break this down a bit.

Does the noise happen on cold start at idle? Does it go away after the bike warms up? Any way you can park it, let it idle and use a long handled screwdriver to use it as a stethoscope?

What oil viscosity are you using?

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Does it only make the noise when the bike is moving. (even if the motor is running, no noise until you go down the road) If so I too think it is speedo cable. It's common for them to act up more when they are cold. If you lube it up now maybe you can save it.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Noisy Wing

My 2nd 85 Interstate made a noise one morning. It was from the front of the motor. Turns out the water pump bearings were protesting. New pump fixed the problem.

If this is your problem, make sure you get the Honda pump and gasket set. Since you have to drain the oil and antifreeze, and remove the lower front cover, it only makes sense to do this once.

Good Luck!

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
To find out if it's the speedo cable, disconnect at the wheel, pull inner cable out, if rusty ride without the cable to test. If rusty, replace the cable as the outer sheath is not stainless steel and the rust is cancer and expands, grease will help a little while till new one comes in, but just for short time as the rust grows the pressure on the inner will eventually break the inner or the drive gear on the wheel. They rust from lack of preventive maintenance, they need lubing yearly as all the cables do.

If it's the water pump, get the Honda pump, check Western Honda on line as well as Cyclemax and Honda Direct Line Parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.