Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wife wants me to sell

1K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  4evermetric 
#1 ·
imported post

My wife wants me to sell my 2009 airbag as at first we where going to sell the Goldwing and get something smaller for around town, Now we don't have time, Parents are needing our care, FULL time. So I guess my wife is right, but it sure is hard letting go, Forever.
Sometimes life has to many wrong turns.:sadguy:

Thanks for letting me vent.

#2 ·
imported post

Not for me to say, actually, but..... do everything you possibly can do to keep from selling; Red and I cared for an aging parent, so we know the pressure...but selling your bike might be an awful mistake. Who knows what tomorrow might bring. If necessary, put it up somewhere on a battery maintainer, and let it sit for awhile...... There are about three motorcycles out there that I loved, and sold, and I regret it to this day..... If this message was presumptuous on my part, I apologize....but be careful about selling, pardner, a Goldwing is very hard to replace......

#3 ·
imported post

I don't know man...that's a pretty short time to keep an airbag only to get rid of her.

I didn't realize you could sell wives though? I had to divorce my previous one, and it COST me a ton of money...you mean there's people out there that'll pay you to take 'em off your hands?

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

#5 ·
imported post

Your devotion to the parents is admirable, however, and you knew that was coming, some days a short bike ride is the best mental health exercise you can get.
You didn't mention financial reasons, so why not "put-it-on-ice' so to speak and keep it.
Until you have some idea of the time and effort required in what you plan to do, why rush into something you may regret for a long time afterwards.
I'm going to tread carefully here, but you did title this as "wife wants me to sell", so often wives who want you to sell the bike for whatever reason are not equally willing to part with anything that's theirs. If you don't have time for bike riding, maybe you can also do away with an extra car, or something else as well.
Just saying....
No offense intended. Have been there myself.
Best of luck.

#6 ·
imported post

regardless if your a weekend warrior motorcyclist or a full blown tour kinda guy to sell something you truely love to do you WILL regret it maybe not at the time of the sell but not to long after

its your motorcycle what YOU want to do but remeber make sure it feels right to do

#7 ·
imported post

Feel free to vent anytime. Good luck with what you need to do.

#8 ·
imported post

I took careof my mother for two years, believe me you will need a way to escape no mater how much you love some one. just having that bike there to polish and dream about may keep you from going crazy.

#9 ·
imported post

Go show your wife the price of a new bare bones wing ($25,000.00) and tell her that the price of yours will also increase.

The prices are getting soooo expensive that if you sell this one you may never ever be able to buy another.

Keep the wing. Plan for the future. Don't be afraid to dream.

#10 ·
imported post

If it is not a financial burden, keep it. Put it up, put it on a battery tender and crank her once a week if your not able to ride her.

If the bike wasn't a problem before, then it shouldn't be a problem now.

#11 ·
imported post

My parents, and they both have Dementia at different stages, were one was helping the other and now can no longer do so, My wife and I have been taking care of them for the last 8 months, and we are worn out.

To place them both is about $6000-$7000 a month so selling my wing for $18000 is not going to do much.
We will have to keep them here with us, and sell what we have to as time go's on.

Thank you for taking the time to console a new member, I guess we are not alone.

So the wing will have to go first, as it is not a necessity.

I'm sorry to bring this to the board, I was just thinking aloud and being selfish, you all made me realize what's really important.

Thanks

#12 ·
imported post

I've had my 89 year old mother with me for 7 years now since my dad succumbed to Parkinson's. I found I needed the "escape" of getting back on a bike. I didn't go out and get the big 1800 like I wanted too, but found a very nice, affordable 1500 that gives me a bit of peace in a trying situation. If the 1800 needs to go maybe squirrel away a bit of seed money to work back to a place where you can get back on your 2 wheel feet again.
Bottom line, they were there for you, now you need to be there for them.
I'll keep you in my thoughts.
Pat

#13 ·
imported post

Sorry about the situation and choices you're faced with..its a tough call. We took care of my wife's aging parents as much as we could.. Our bikes though offered us a means of getting away when we could, as someone said to "clear the mind".

It all depends on how far you need to go to make ends meet too...and I'm not wanting to sound callous or cold, as I know how hard it is.. but if you're selling one of your prize posessions such as an '09 airbag Wing... where would you stop in downsizing your own lifestyle to care for the parents?
It is a very nobile gesture to take care of parents.. for sure.. just watch your own boundaries and don't loose track of yourselves in that process.. I say that with all due respect.. and wish you and your parents well.. its not easy... it can be the toughest thing at times. Hang in there.

#14 ·
imported post

I once sold an airplane that I really did love and enjoy because my wife "wanted to sell it, to make a down payment on a house".

Well, that down payment could have been acquired with about six months of savings. But, I sold it, and I have regretted it every day since and that was in 1976.

It was paid for, it was parked at my home, no expenses unless I flew it and the annual inspections which I did mostly myself. a real dumb move on my part.

A few years ago, my mom came to live with me after dad passed on. We kept her with us for about 3 or 4 years. One day a doctor told me that I have to make a choice, place her in a adult foster home, or I will be in the hospital myself.

I found a nice adult foster care home and she loved it. Personal attention any time of the day. We just had to sign over her retirement check to the home. It didn't make the full fee, so medicare kicked in and made the rest.

Check out all of the possibilities. That bike will be extremely hard to justify later in life. You have it now, try to keep it.

Been there, done that...

#15 ·
imported post

Drop the bike off with me I will take care of her for you wash her ride her and even put premium fuel in her. When you are ready to come pick her up I will give it back. Just dont sell her she is a part of your life. Motorcycles is a life style not a luxury. (Thats my philosophy) I myself at 27 have bought and sold 5 bikes saying that I would not get another on just to find my self buying one a few months later so I give up selling them unless I am going to upgrade. Good luck in whatever you decide to do and God Bless your parents and family.

#16 ·
imported post

A nice breeze across the windshield, the hum of a powerful engine, the feed back through the handlebars, scenic vistas passing by, and the sound of the tires as they shake hands with the pavement is the best medicine in the doctors bag.

#17 ·
imported post

motorgold wrote:
So the wing will have to go first, as it is not a necessity.

I'm sorry to bring this to the board, I was just thinking aloud and being selfish, you all made me realize what's really important.

Thanks
Maybe I am the selfish one, to me a Motorcycle IS a necessity.:?

#19 ·
imported post

Just because your parents need the care means you need to pay for it all yourselves?

What happens if you don't step up with the monthly money?

Isn't there a system to take care of them without digging deeply into the money you and your wife have made/saved over the years?

(Not trying to be inflammatory. Genuinely asking.)

#20 ·
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
Just because your parents need the care means you need to pay for it all yourselves?

What happens if you don't step up with the monthly money?

Isn't there a system to take care of them without digging deeply into the money you and your wife have made/saved over the years?

(Not trying to be inflammatory. Genuinely asking.
[line]We went to a few Nursing homes, that Medicaid pays for, with their SS checks and medicaid pays the difference . [line][line]Medicare won't pay for Assisted living and my parents aren't ready for lock-up stye memory care units

We have to tell you that the Medicaid Nursing homes are horrible, nasty, dirty and I wanted to cry looking at the people and conditions there. At least around here.
Can't afford Assisted living, so.

My wife and I have decided to care for them as long as possible, maybe to the end if the lord gives us the strength.
Thank you for so many positive comments.

#21 ·
imported post

Good for you motorgold. You can always buy another freekin motorcycle, but caring for your parents you cannot replace. I know, I did it for my father.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.