Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I took my wife on her first ride on the Goldwing on Saturday. We went on a 45 mile run with one of the local bike shops. She couldn't get over how comfortable the riders seat was. She could only ride a few minutes on my other bike, she could barely walk after a 15 mile ride to a bike night a couple months ago. Ok, so she could walk but said her backside fell asleep.

Anyway, maybe I can get her to go more oftern now.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

Good luck to you my friend....I've all but begged my wife to ride...and she has..for 15 minutes at a time...and only on what would be conisdered to be one step above a dirt road..Fearful doesn't even begin to describe her feelings...Again, good luck to you..

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

lbill95 wrote:
I took my wife on her first ride on the Goldwing on Saturday. We went on a 45 mile run with one of the local bike shops. She couldn't get over how comfortable the riders seat was. She could only ride a few minutes on my other bike, she could barely walk after a 15 mile ride to a bike night a couple months ago. Ok, so she could walk but said her backside fell asleep.

Anyway, maybe I can get her to go more oftern now.
My wife went with me on a 2 day ride to florida,1200 miles,in temperatures from 26 degrees to lower 60's.Spent 5 days in sarasota then 1200 miles home again.course we have been riding 40 years or so...ya gotta love her..

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Nancy and I did a few local runs when I first got my 1200. Then we did a couple all day rides that would add up to 200 to 300 miles.

Finally got a wild hair, dreamed up "Oma's and Papa's Great Adventure" and went 15 days and 4000 miles last year.

Your your wife time, don't let her over do it till she's ready and they watch out. She will be standing at the bike with her helmet by the time you have it warmed up.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

I always enjoy the ride more when Linda rides with me. We share those sights together and makes it kind of special.

Planning a week ride in April up to Niagra Falls and riding around the Adronick? Mountains that she won't be able to go on. The only saving grace for me is that it will be a father son ride. Doesn't mean she is happy about being left behind.

Oh Well

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
imported post

My wife loves to ride! She sat on the back of the 1400 Intruder we had from Missouri to Colorado a couple of times, to the Black Hills and Yellowstone a couple of times, and to California, to Montana, back to Colorado, and then home to Missouri a couple of years ago on vacation. Even with fibromyalgia, and all the joint pain that she has because of this, she has sat on the back of the Intruder for over 600 miles in one day. Since we got the Wing, we have rode to the east coast and then ran the southern states home. I try to stop every 100 to 150 miles so she can get off the bike and stretch, and she smokes, so needless to say, she is ready for a smoke as well. With the Intruder, after 100 miles, it was ready for fuel anyway, but with the Wing, I have to make myself stop, because I am still good to go and it still has a half a tank of fuel usually. As long as she isn't hurting too bad, she is always ready to hop on and go!!!

Cobra

:15grey:

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I know what you mean with the fibromyalgia. Nancy has it too. Her rides normally start off with a good dose of tylenol when we get breakfast and then a few stretch/bathroom stops at the rest areas and gas stations.

We do know now that if we need to we can easily do 650 plus in a day. The first day of our vacation last year we did our first 650 day and it was a hard one.

This year to get to Calhoun, we left home at 4:00am and rolled into Calhoun by 2:00 pm. Just a little short of 600 miles. That was with breakfast, plugging a tire and shopping a discount book store just inside the Ga. state line.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
imported post

We haven't pushed it yet on the Wing, but I believe that she will be able to do better than the 600 that she has done on the Intruder. She says that the seat is a lot better on the Wing and her leg position is a lot better as well. Haven't been in a hurry or a bind to be anywhereby a certain time yet, but it will happen one of these days so we will find out then. All I need to do is buy a pair of highway pegs for me and I will be golden. I am looking at a pair of Kuryakyn Ergo II pegs or the Longhorns, just don't know for sure which one yet.

Cobra

:15grey:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I had an old CB 750A when I first met my wife in Texas and had her on it within 15 minutes for a 1 hr ride around a lake in south Ft. Worth. Now that we have the 1100 when I tell her to grab the helmet and jacket she's all suited up and ready to go by the time the bike is warmed up. She doesn't ask where we're going or when we'll get back. She'll ride all day as long as her butt doesn't get sore and with her gel pad she stole from me it doesn't.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

My wife was about the biggest instigator in getting me to convert to a trike so we both could keep riding. Best this ever happen to me. We love to ride.:)

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

All very interesting copmments. But I can't imagine my wife riding for 600 miles in a day. She whines like hell if we need to do that in a car. I'll be happy if she will do some day rides with me to get dinner or something.

I have a buddy to take longer rides with though 600 miles a day? Not sure about that. Though the 1500 does travel very well. We hit 75 mph on back roads and we were very comfortable. I felt the bike was under total control. Hmmm?

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

I took my fiancee on a 30 mile ride and that was it, now she's the one looking at maps for new directions to take off on. Usually we have a generic destination and then we see where it goes from there. I tell she's the navigator, I'm just the pilot, having her along adds so much to the ride. This summer we're looking at a long ride up the St. Lawrence Seaway and ending up in New Hamphire for a Lobster dinner and then we'll figure out the ride home.

Bill, my advise keep taking her on the short rides, but direct them to places she would like the scenery and low traffic, let it grow on her, don't force it and scare her. I made that mistake with an old girlfriend.:action:

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

My mother, who's in her 70s & never rode before, visited this summer, she saw the wing in the garage. She asked if we could go for a ride sometime during her visit.

Took her 40 miles around the lake & thought she'd be done due to her arthritis, bad knees, etc.

She asked if we could go see "that river" [Missouri River] :shock: We did. While there, she noticed the bridge to MO & asked' "Can we go over there?":realshocked: We did.

After more than 200 miles without a break,I got gas & headed home [my idea, not hers]. She just hopped off in the driveway & said, "That was really fun." Go figure.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

I've told this story before but it fits real well here..Back when I bought an old 1974 GT-550 Suzuki, my wife had a fit, I had sold my motorcycles before I met her so she had no idea, except the tales of my scooters and other motorcycles.....OK I bought that GT-550 against her wishes, and she wasn't even going to let the kids ride it but she finally let them ride it with me, even the 2 yr old...Everyone got off with big smiles....So momma got on, 6 months later I bought my Suzuki GS-1000 and over 100,000 miles later she sat on the back enjoying every mile.....Now when I get this wing back together she is looking forward to getting back on the back again..And hopefully we will do a bunch more miles together....

Claude....

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
imported post

My wife was always afraid and uncomfortable on any of my Harleys but she really likes the Goldwing and she asks me when we are going for a ride. She doesn' seem to like it when I have it on its centerstand and working on it. Just today she asked if the Bike was getting any closer to being done.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

I was out in the garage and was cleaning up from putting a new exhaust system on the truck when the weather came on the tv. I didn't pay much attention until he said it would be at least 57 degrees on monday.

I made a bee line for the house and as I walked into the living room Wendy looked up and said "I'm calling in monday, it's warm enough for ride and the kids will be in school."

You gotta love a woman who has her priorities in order.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

For all you guys out there whose significant other like to ride, you are the lucky ones. I am definitely envious. I'm more on the "wish my wife liked to ride" side of things. Heck, my entire family almost dis-owned me for even buying a bike. All the horror stories came up and EVERY time someone buys the ranch on a bike, regardless of the circumstances, I hear about it multiple times. Oh well, I digress. A couple years ago I bought a beautiful '82 CB900, by making a command decision (aka wife said no), fast, fun, but a real butt killer. I convinced her to ride with me to Chimney Rock, NC (50 miles from home) on a beautiful September day with another couple that had a '83 GL1100. Well, by the time we got up there, I think both of us would have rather pushed the bike home our butts were hurting so bad. So, against her wishes (again), I bought the '84 Aspy this September and she likes it better, but no long rides yet. Hopefully this spring I can get her on another "mountain run". I think she'll like this one much better. Ok, the weather here will be fairly nice today, in the mid 50's and sunny, so I'm going to shut up and go ride.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

53jimc wrote:
For all you guys out there whose significant other like to ride, you are the lucky ones. I am definitely envious. I'm more on the "wish my wife liked to ride" side of things. Heck, my entire family almost dis-owned me for even buying a bike. All the horror stories came up and EVERY time someone buys the ranch on a bike, regardless of the circumstances, I hear about it multiple times. Oh well, I digress. A couple years ago I bought a beautiful '82 CB900, by making a command decision (aka wife said no), fast, fun, but a real butt killer. I convinced her to ride with me to Chimney Rock, NC (50 miles from home) on a beautiful September day with another couple that had a '83 GL1100. Well, by the time we got up there, I think both of us would have rather pushed the bike home our butts were hurting so bad. So, against her wishes (again), I bought the '84 Aspy this September and she likes it better, but no long rides yet. Hopefully this spring I can get her on another "mountain run". I think she'll like this one much better. Ok, the weather here will be fairly nice today, in the mid 50's and sunny, so I'm going to shut up and go ride.
Keep an eye on the weather for next weekend, if it's nice (above 50) We're going for a ride some where for sure. My rear brake caliper seals will be here Wednesday and I'll have them in within an hr's work. Take a nice ride along hiway 11. Run over to Table Rock.

Grab your wife and join us.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.