Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
My name is Francois and I decided to run a new quest.

I just purchased a 1984 Goldwing that appears to be a Standard GL1200 that was fitted with GL1100 fairing.

The bike is currently working , but have a pretty bad knock on the right side of the engine.

I know, she is dirty, almost filthy but I have big plan for her when I have time.

Hoping to increase and share my learning with you all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, I ran a compression test this morning and cyl4 is low. a diy leakdown is telling me valves are closing but I can't pinpoint the leak. so I am soaking the cylinders in marvel mystery oil for the next few days to see if this improve anything. if not, I'll pull the heads to figure what is going on.
I just need to be patient now

·
Premium Member
65,762 Posts
Hallo fflipski

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,688 Posts
sounds like a Tech thread, I am going to move you over to the Tech forum.

glad to have you on board here.

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
ok, I ran a compression test this morning and cyl4 is low. a diy leakdown is telling me valves are closing but I can't pinpoint the leak. so I am soaking the cylinders in marvel mystery oil for the next few days to see if this improve anything. if not, I'll pull the heads to figure what is going on.
I just need to be patient now
You have a knock on the right and low compression on the left & missing timing covers, hope you got it cheap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hope you got it cheap.
is $400 cheap enough?. brakes and tires are almost new. a few dings here and there. nothing that can't be fixed cheaply

I do have the covers. just out for now for checking timing

I knew what I was getting into.

when turning over without Sparks, the motor runs freely. knock comes with Sparks.

I've flooded the cylinders with mmo. I am trying the $4 fix before tearing it down.

I secretly want it to not work so I can tear it down.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,581 Posts
$400 for that bike is not really cheap.

Be careful what you wish for. A tear down of that motor will be very frustrating. There are parts that simply are no longer available. From Honda or the aftermarket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I am a bad mechanic. I should have looked into the bike a bit further before messing with the block.

I let the cylinder soak in MMO for the past few days and tried a compression test again. cyl4 was acting a bit better but still at 60psi cold. So I remembered to open the throttle for true compression test, and SURPRISE, cyl4 now show 120psi !!!!!! like all others. no wonder I couldn't find a leak during the leakdown. My intake is heavily restricted.

So , after a 9 hrs work day, I decided to look into the carbs.

YUCK! lots of broken vacuum lines , plenum filled with seeds and other mouse/rat food. plenum cover was sealed by someone that didn't want to fix it.

So, I wrapped the motor to prevent moisture to enter and got the carbs out. I've noticed that reorienting the intake ports allowed me to get the clearance I needed to slide them to the side.
So now the beast is out and ready for a complete cleanup/rebuild.

With all the junk, frozen choke bits and leaking vacuum hoses, I am amazed how the bike actually was running. not on all 4, but still pretty impressive.

the plenum cover being shot, I find a thread of someone replacing it with aluminite and I am thinking of doing the same but with some stainless steel that I have sitting around the garage. if you know of another intake plenum mod, let me know.

Question for the experts.
since the ignition module has a vacuum sensor, does this means my pinging/knock could be because the module detected a WOT condition and advanced the timing too much ?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Unlikely as it needs the vac to advance timing and if hose are gone you wont get vac

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
since the ignition module has a vacuum sensor, does this means my pinging/knock could be because the module detected a WOT condition and advanced the timing too much ?
No, the trans has to be in 4th or 5th gear for the vacuum to effect the timing. The knock could be the carbs out of synch.

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
… ETC …

the plenum cover being shot, I find a thread of someone replacing it with aluminite and I am thinking of doing the same but with some stainless steel that I have sitting around the garage. if you know of another intake plenum mod, let me know.

I'd do it in Aluminum as it's easier to drill and cuts nice on my Shop-Smith's bandsaw with fine tooth 1/4" blade, and if you use SS that's rigid enough, gonna be tough. 1/8" or 3/16 aluminum is just a better material for it I think.

Before I'd go SS … I'd get some ABS sheet and repair/reinforce the OEM one, but first examine OEM to be sure if it's ABS too. It'll be marked.
Depending on damage, I might would even just use aluminum & pop rivets and washers to repair/strengthen the ABS OEM plate. I've seen the ABS sheet on Ebay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

well, that carb setup is toasted. it caught on fire at some point. while all jets and bowls were fine. I didn't feel like messing with it anymore so I went on eBay and ordered a used set. including the top plenum cover for $130.

I ordered some new cables too for choke and throttle.

should have everything done by next week and have a verdict on engine health.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts