Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Have you, too, noticed that you see more wildlife from the back of a Wing or similar bike, than in or on any other mode of transportation? I have nearly hit Black Bears in Jaspar, Alberta, on Skyline Drive in Virginia, and twice in eastern Oregon. We nearly hit a Grizzlynear Cody,Wyoming and then another again near Haines, Alaska. We've barely missed deer and elk in a half dozen states, did hit one in Michigan, and damn near squished a porcupinenear Kahlotus, Washington. I have snuck up on a half dozen coyotes, and those guys arehard to sneak up on! I remember one in particular near Grand Coulee dam..... we had the wind in our face and were coming down a long hill when I gleefully hit the horn to get the coyote off the road. He went about 10 feet straight up in the air, and had turned 180 degrees and was already running before he hit the ground again. He looked right at me, and I swear he was absolutely mortified that I had gotten so close! Can't think about that without laughing.....

Birds, too. Our valley and the Yakima River valley are filled with raptors: Bald Eagles, Red-tailed Hawks, Ospreys, and Blue Herons are all over the place much of the year. See em' all the time...... Funny, don't remember seeing that many when I was bikeless.....

Haven't seen a cougar yet, though, neither on the bike orhiking...... I have to be the only guy in WashingtonState who ain't seen a cougar.......

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
I have to be the only guy in WashingtonState who ain't seen a cougar.......
No, you're not. I've not seen one in the wild either, at least not the four legged felines. Seen plenty of the WSU kind though. :dude:

I too have seen more wildlife from my Wing than ever on 4 wheels, but not sure it's only limited to Wings. Definitely a quiet bike thing though. I think we are more in touch with our surroundings when we are on our bikes too, so that probably comes into play.

John

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Last thing I want to see is wildlife anywhere near my wing. I've already had enough fun with wildlife while riding on two wheels.

Unless it's a chicken. :coollep:

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
imported post

CJ, I have to agree with you. I have seen deer, turkey, coyotes, bears, elk, eagles, fox, bison, mules and to many more to remember. Only close calls were a turkey and deer and a a$$ in a white mercury. I really enjoy riding and watching the wildlife as lolng as they give me room to get around them safely. Randy

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Yep, it's the unbelievable quite that these bikes have. And that is a problem with the cars and pedestrians too. You're on top of them before they even realize it.

I know that this is a bad subject, but it's amazing to jump on my old 1200 and ride the three or four blocks to the local convience store without a helmet. That's when you really see just how quite these bikes are.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Have you, too, noticed that you see more wildlife from the back of a Wing or similar bike, than in or on any other mode of transportation?
No I can't say I ever have. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1: j/k - I know what you mean Jack - I love being "in the element" and seeing wildlife. I saw Mountain Lion and Huge Black Bears - so close I didn't stick around for a picture. But here is a few I did get...

Deer – Brazos Park - Near Houston, Texas

He’s in there somewhere Brazos again :waving:

Owl – Brazos again - I can still hear the "Whoot, Whoot" 6 years later - :shock:

Texas Ranch Roads –Buck

Coyote in CA – Montana D’oro SP

Coyote in Sequoia NP

Elephant Seals in San Simeon

Pod of Dolphin offshore

Migrating Monarchs – Pismo Beach, CA

Pelicans at Pismo Beach, CA

Harbor Seals in Avila Bay, CA

Watching Hawks while I await AAA (Ran out of gas on my Chief – Doh!)

Vultures along the San Andreas Fault – CA25

3 Bears ( a mother and 2 cubs) crossing the road at Lake Tahoe CA

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
imported post

Here's one Elk that won't be stepping out in front of my wing.

She fit nicely in my freezer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Dan.S wrote:
Here's one Elk that won't be stepping out in front of my wing.

She fit nicely in my freezer.
Cool - I bet that was good eating for awhile. How hard was it to get her in the passenger seat of your wing? :D

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Seen alot of jackasses and turkeys down here. With an occasional road pig. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

These are the guys you really gotta watch out for - TRex and Bronto - hit them on your wing - or get chased by Rexxie and it will RUIN your day...:shock:

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

Way too much wildlife in South Georgia...and that doesn't even take into consideration the rednecks...which I'm one amoungst their ranks.. In my opinion, deer season should mean that you can kill as many of those varmits as you have shells..Truly one of God's worthless creatures...Absolutely serves no purpose...other than to screw up a perfectly good motocycle ride..

·
Slow Learner
1,485 Posts
imported post

Hey Blackdog, those are some great pix and I'll be sure to watch out for them critters whenever I'm 2-wheelin'. But I gotta tell ya, if that Pod of Dolphin is a road hazard for you then you're in REAL trounle! heheheheheee!!!

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

QDaddy wrote:
Hey Blackdog, those are some great pix and I'll be sure to watch out for them critters whenever I'm 2-wheelin'. But I gotta tell ya, if that Pod of Dolphin is a road hazard for you then you're in REAL trounle! heheheheheee!!!
LOL - well I have heard tell of a carbuerator "snorkel" for riding underwater - I wonder if I can open up some "new roads" - LOL :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.