Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

As stated I found a guy near me that has an 1980 Interstate that he is selling to a breaker......Speedo has less than 15,000 miles and looks new.....Speedo is one of the 150 mph? speedos ....what else do I need off this 80 model to make it work on my 82, than has the 80 mph speedo on it???? This guy is holding the complete speedo& tach assembly for me till I find out if it will work...Bike was wrecked several years go and there is very little on it worth saving....He is sellong itto a salvage yard for junk..Engine is blown.....

Claude.....

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

Your message isn't real clear to me ....

The '80 had the 85mph speedo only. The '80 will work on the '82 just fine. The only variableis the tire size calibration which is very close in circumference. The gear in the hubis exactly the same part.

So in short yes, the '80 will work on the '82.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

I am not so sure..I tried a 78 and 83 on my 81 neither fit the wiring is different and the mounting bolts too..the back of the holders weren't quite the same..if you took the whole bracket it would probably work but check the wiring..plugs, number of wires etc.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Mechanically it will fit; electrically, I think it can be adapted with some plug changes on the speedo side. The '80 has two speed sensors where the '82 has at least one (some confusion on the diagram).. also some indicator lights may be different on the tach side (edit:eek:n second look, I don't think so).. if all else fails, check the wiring diagram:dude:clips from the the '80 and '82 are below..

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.