Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My bud and I will be heading out on a little tour to the above named places.

He will be loading his 01 BMW R1100S and all his camping gear in the back of his pickup and driving to the Coulee Dam area on Sunday evening, where he'll be camping. He has to pick up a ski platform he orderedfor his boat from a custom manufacturer in Spokane, early Monday morning. He'll be leaving his truck there and beloading up all his gear on the bike.

I'll be leaving early Monday morning and then we'll hook up just outside of Coeur D'Alene and then continue on, taking a couple of weeks to do this circuit of over 3,000 miles.

We'll be spending some time riding loops around/exploringin both Yellowstone and Glacier, which will add more mileage to what is indicated on the Google Maps total. Google also won't allow the mapping of our planned route up the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway and across the Beartooth Pass.

I have a retirement party to go to tonightthat the 'gang' is throwing for me and then I'll be busy gathering and packing gear on the bike.

Noobie, I know I promised you pictures of my gear I'm taking and how I fit it in/on the bike., but I don't have time for that now.(Geeze ... where did I find the time to work?)Hopefully, I'll be able to do that en route, at one of the campsites we'll be staying at. :baffled:

Everyone ride/stay safe and I'll see you guys/gals when I get back. :waving:

Here's our route:http://tinyurl.com/m8cubv

Trip report and pics when I get back. ;)

Dusty :action:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a fun time keep us in suspense until you return with alot of those great pictures you end up getting :action:

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

Wow! That is one great trip. Most of that is on really great motorbike roads with beautiful scenery. I hope the weather dries up for you. I am envious!

HAVE FUN!

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Way to go Ken:cooler:Your putting that retirement to good use.:action:

You guys keep it safe and have a great time:waving:

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
imported post

When do WE leave? Just let me know where to be and when to get there. Oh wait, it is still 3 more years before I get to take the final walk out fo prison, (I work in a federal prison.) My 20 year bit is not quite finished.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper: GO DUSTY:action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
imported post

Have a great trip Dusty, looks like a great route. Happy retirement!

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

While your in the Sawtooth area I would suggest camping at Stanley Lake. This is a small mountain lake a few miles west of Stanley. Red Fish lake is also close, but all the sites and cabins are usually booked in advance.

The sawtooth mountains in the Stanley area are more magnificent than the Tetons IMHO.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

Should be a good run, was gonna try and hook up with you this week..Planning a ride to see my folks in Ossoyoos here on wednesday or thursday. Just a quick trip tho..probly be on my way back home the next evening..

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Still feeling a little woozy from last night.;):toast: :blackstuff: :3sum::band:

clpete wrote:
While your in the Sawtooth area I would suggest camping at Stanley Lake. This is a small mountain lake a few miles west of Stanley. Red Fish lake is also close, but all the sites and cabins are usually booked in advance.

The sawtooth mountains in the Stanley area are more magnificent than the Tetons IMHO.

I know where you are suggesting, as I've backpacked in the Sawtooths, starting from Grand Jean. It is a gorgeous area alright.I have to pick up a package at the UPS store before 5pm on Wednesday. I hadordered a jacket liner from a company a few weeks ago(back ordered)and thenthey somehow screwed up with the shipping. :X

I called them to get things straightenedout and they shipped it Friday eveningto Ketchum, so I'll have it before I get into Yellowstone. If it looks like we won't make it to Ketchum in time, we'll find a spot near Stanley. Lots of 'em. I originally had decided on Redfish, untill this came up.

Lyrkinwrote:

was gonna try and hook up with you this week..Planning a ride to see my folks in Ossoyoos here on wednesday or thursday. Just a quick trip tho..probly be on my way back home the next evening.
[/quote][/quote]

Ah ... too bad. Well, maybe next time, or, if I decide to go for ride over there, I'll give you a yell. ;)

Later, Dusty

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Ok,,,,, I gotta ask,,,,,,,,,, what is this "Sawtooth" area???? Others have mentioned it before but I've never figured it out.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Have a good time and a safe trip and above all else TAKE A LOT OF PICTURES!!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Ah ... too bad. Well, maybe next time, or, if I decide to go for ride over there, I'll give you a yell. ;)

Later, Dusty

Absolutely !!

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

Winger77 wrote:
Ok,,,,, I gotta ask,,,,,,,,,, what is this "Sawtooth" area???? Others have mentioned it before but I've never figured it out.

Well Dave, she's a very scenic area of mountainous terrain, that is in southcentral Idaho and runs parallel to the west sideSR75. Ketchum and Stanley are the 2 biggest centers for the area. Lots of front/back country camping and also some of the sweetestbackpacking trails in the US NW.Not to be confused with the Sawtooth Wilderness Area of WA, where I suggested toCJ & friends gobackpacking along the Lake Chelan Trail.

http://www.forwolves.org/ralph/wpages/sawtooth.htm

Couple that stretch of road, alongwith US 93, all the way south from as far north asKalispell MT, riding along side a river most the way, it is a super ride!.

Gotta finish packing my stuff/bike. :D

Cheers, Ken

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

Winger77 wrote:
The sawtooth mountains are found around Stanely / Sun Valley/Salmon Idaho.

SAWTOOTH MT

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

Well have a great trip Dusty, enjoy your party, I was thinking it must be coming up soon but was afraid to ask. :) Retirement can be different to some folks, been there in a sense once, was lost for a time!

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

If you go through Greybull, stop at LISA'S restaurant. Lisa might remember us, its been a long time. Dick and Patti, or my folks, Dick and Doris.

We ranched there in the 90's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.