Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im new at this forum, my name is Roger, from Norway- southwest part...I just had my Goldwing for 2 months- its a SE from 92- and the mileage is about 85000.

I recently got a problem, the engine will not start- its turning around, but no spark at plugs...
Try to put bike in reverse, then nothing happens- startmotor is not turning.
When I put key for start, the N is coming up, and the R is showing for some seconds- and goes of...
Changing the reverse switch- did not help
Changed all fuses allso the 2pcs 5AMP beside battery
Changing relays- not all of them- but many (have a spare GW to do parts from)
Battery is full loaded
Ive tried to put cruise on- to see light, to be sure that safety-switch is working...and it seems to be ok

What can the issue be here? will be very happy if someone can help me about this problem...

I see that one guy from Ireland had similar problem in 2008, but it never came/ended with the solution

Sorry for my bad language,

Regard Roger

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

My first thought s a weak battery. Very common issue with GL1500. The battery is marginal and not strong enough to turn starter and power ignition system at the same time. Try connecting a car battery to the bike. You can use booster cables but keep car engine off.

Please see this: 1500 TELL TALE BATTERY ISSUE

·
Administrator
26,149 Posts
Many things can be the issue. First thing, it will not go in reverse if the engine is not running. You must make sure power is getting to the engine control unit and the ignition coils through the black/white wire, at least 10 volts when trying to start.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum.

My first thought s a weak battery. Very common issue with GL1500. The battery is marginal and not strong enough to turn starter and power ignition system at the same time. Try connecting a car battery to the bike. You can use booster cables but keep car engine off.

Please see this: 1500 TELL TALE BATTERY ISSUE

Thanks for reply 👍

The battery is full loaded- has no problem to turn around the starter, and fast... but there is no spark at the plugs...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for reply 👍

The battery is full loaded- has no problem to turn around the starter, and fast... but there is no spark at the plugs...
Will see if I can measure Voltage to the coils

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Also check the position of the stop/run/stop switch (aka kill switch) on the right handlebar. It must be in the Run position or it will do as you described.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive been trying out that- opened up the on/off/on switch- measured Ohm and it seems to be ok...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Opened the on/off/on switch again and connected the wires together, but no difference

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This thing with starting problem, has happend few times- but has started after a while, without any explaining...but not this time

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Relays on the 1500 give issues with age, behind the laft saddlebag is the relay holder #3 relay ( I think) is usually the culprit,please tell WHAT lights are showing with the key in on position,
my son in Law is from Oystese

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Relays on the 1500 give issues with age, behind the laft saddlebag is the relay holder #3 relay ( I think) is usually the culprit,please tell WHAT lights are showing with the key in on position,
my son in Law is from Oystese
Hi, and greetings from Norway!

how nice-Øystese is in the Hardangerfjorden- I live in Sveio, not so far away!

The lights coming up is N, R, Gasoline, Oil, Cruise Set, Cruise On... Ive been changin all three relays from the other GW..

Regards Roger

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you also check voltage on those wires......????

If voltage on both wires, your "ignition/cruise relay" and Red "9-pin" connector are good, You also have power to and through the Kill switch.

You need to do a "Load Test" on your battery. What is the voltage at the battery posts (with the starter motor running)....?????

You want to see 10 volts (or more).......!!!!!

Read the message I just sent you for more information............!!!!!

By the way..............Your 1992 Gold Wing SE starter will run if that Kill switch is in the OFF position (or even bad).......!!!!.

Have you tried connecting jumper cables from your good car battery (car engine OFF) to your bike battery.....????

Does the bike start.....????.
Greetings from Norway,

Yes, now ive been trying out voltage at the Black/white wire- and its 10,5 V.... at battery who is full charged its just under 14V

When the killswitch is off, the starter is running- but engine will not start, same symptoms like now...

I didnt try with cables from car battery.

Normally the GW is wery easy to start...but now, totally dead....

Thanks for taking Your time trying to help me out👍

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you also check voltage on those wires......????

If voltage on both wires, your "ignition/cruise relay" and Red "9-pin" connector are good, You also have power to and through the Kill switch.

You need to do a "Load Test" on your battery. What is the voltage at the battery posts (with the starter motor running)....?????

You want to see 10 volts (or more).......!!!!!

Read the message I just sent you for more information............!!!!!

By the way..............Your 1992 Gold Wing SE starter will run if that Kill switch is in the OFF position (or even bad).......!!!!.

Have you tried connecting jumper cables from your good car battery (car engine OFF) to your bike battery.....????

Does the bike start.....????.

Measured the voltage in Killswitch, 12,7 V at both screws...

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Pull the relays and check fo voltage,they melt the wires in the back and don’t make connection

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Measured the 3 relays, and they all send power thru them...with the light on, voltage was 12,3 V

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Dave0430 should be along soon to give great info,
have you cleaned the start button with spray,does the headlight go off when the start button is pressed

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks!
Yes, headlight goes off when I push the startbutton...
Its strange, when startmotor runs fast, power to coil is ok- killswitch allso ok- what can cause/cutting power to sparkplugs then... Hope Dave can give som info, in the meanwhile im learning plenty 👍

·
Administrator
26,149 Posts
Since you do have voltage to the coils check the 4 pin white connector on top of the right radiator fan. You have to remove the right lower fairing. Set your meter to AC volts and probe the white/yellow & yellow wires and crank the engine, you should see a small AC voltage, then do the same with the white/blue & blue. This is checking the pulse generators.

·
Administrator
26,149 Posts
have you cleaned the start button with spray,does the headlight go off when the start button is pressed
The headlights going off has nothing to do with starting. It is a separate contact in the start switch.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts