Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This bike has about 63,000 miles on it and it has sat for sometime. It has always been difficult to start...but, once it was warmed up, it ran fine.

I was riding it and it all of a sudden quit. I messed with it long enough to figure out that the fuel pump quit working. I was able to install an automotive4 psi electric fuel pump and that made the bike start. The bike actually ran very good. I then started it the next day...it ran for about 1 minute and died. It would not start again!!

The next day....

It started and and then died after about 2 minutes. It would not start again. It will however run on carburetor/choke cleaner fine though, but once you stop spraying, it will die immediately.

I believe it is a fuel related problem. Perhaps this fuel pump is too much for this bike or vice versa. Carbureter problem due to sitting so long or me spraying carburetor/choke cleaner into the CV carburetors.

I am at a lost and need some help.......:stumped::12ltd:

Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Nathan :waving: Your very welcome to the forum. :clapper:One of the experts will be along shortly and they will solve your problem. :jumper:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

No carburator expert, but from reading previous replies I would say it's time for a thorough carb cleaning. You may have luck with a good fuel tank additive, but the engine has to be running for these to work.

Better off to get a manual, and tear into them. After soaking/cleaning you should be better able to see worn parts.

Hold on for more carb savy replies.... :gunhead: Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Nathan welcome,

As the bike has been sat for a while condensation, crud and corrosion will have gathered at the bottom of the tank. You need to Drain the fuel and check, cleanand changethe fuel filters, one between fuel tap and pump and the other inside the tank, just remove the fuel tap and the filter screen comes out with it.

The fuel pump takes it's supply from the right coil and works off the ignition pulses, this feeds the fuel pump relay (underneath the coils) which in turn feeds the fuel pump.

After checking the filters I would have a look at the relay and connections from the coil, 2 mins is what you get at idle just from fuel in the carb bowls.

if you run a 12v supply straight to the pump then start the engine, this will prove the carbs fuel lines and pump. If all is ok then it can only be a coil/relay problem

good luck

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Nathan, when you changed the fuel pump did you change the fuel filter? It sounds like fuel starvation. I suspect the original pump was working okay unless you tested it and found it bad. If the new pump delivers fuel at a pressure much different than the original one you are going to have carb problems. If it's pressure is much greater it is going to cause a change in the fuel levels in the carb float bowls. There will be more fuel slipping by the float valves.

If it were my bike, I'd put the original pump back on and set up everything as it was. Disconnect your fuel line at the carburetor end feed the hose into a bucket and turn the ignition on, don't start the bike just get the fuel pump to run. If the fuel comes out of the line strong and keeps running for more than two or three minutes, the pump is okay.If it doesn't disconnect the fuel line right at the pump output and do it again. If good the problem is now localized in the line. If it doesn't feed threre normally the next step would be to isolate the pump with it's output in a bucket and it's input hooked to a tube run into a jar of gas to see if it will pump. Since you have already effectively done that with the substitute pump the next step I'd do would to check and see if there's a problem between the tank and the pump.

Since the bike will run normally for a minute or two, I'd save looking at the carbs until all else failed, The problem really sounds like a fuel delivery problem somewhere between the tank, the filter and the fuel lines.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

It's a blockage or starvation problem, especially if the thing will run when you spray carb cleaner or petrol drectly into them. By doing that you've effectively ruled out ignition problems. Car type fuelpumps aren't always the answer for the GL1200.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I actually replaced the inline fuel filter before I replaced the pump. The old filter was somewhat cloudy inside of it. Even with new filter...it still did not start. That was when I began looking at the pump for problems.

With the old pump, fuel would not even come out of it.

This new pump is working since fuel does come out. There are no leaks. Does anyone know what the original pump was rated for?

I don't understand why the bike ran and started good after I installed the automotive fuel pump. I probably rode it at least 25 miles and started/restarted the bike with no problems. Only the following day...it would not start.

Yes, kill switch is in the on position.

I have spark.

The fuel petcock is in the on position and there is 1/2 tank of fuel.

Thanks again....fellow goldwingers

:11brown:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Nathan wrote:
This bike has about 63,000 miles on it and it has sat for sometime. It has always been difficult to start...but, once it was warmed up, it ran fine.

I was riding it and it all of a sudden quit. I messed with it long enough to figure out that the fuel pump quit working. I was able to install an automotive4 psi electric fuel pump and that made the bike start. The bike actually ran very good. I then started it the next day...it ran for about 1 minute and died. It would not start again!!

The next day....

It started and and then died after about 2 minutes. It would not start again. It will however run on carburetor/choke cleaner fine though, but once you stop spraying, it will die immediately.

I believe it is a fuel related problem. Perhaps this fuel pump is too much for this bike or vice versa. Carbureter problem due to sitting so long or me spraying carburetor/choke cleaner into the CV carburetors.
Nathan, a few things come to mind on your fuel problem.

The first & foremost is the fuel filter, if that little bugger is plugging up it will slowly let the fuel flow through & fill the carbs while sitting all night but might not pass enough to let it run by itself.

You could also have a plugging tank shut-off valve due to dirt, rust, or other junk in the tank.

Pull the fuel line going into the pump & see if you get a steady flow of fuel out of that line, if NOT suspect a plugged filter or tank valve.

If good flow out of the pump feed line then pull the pump outlet line & check for flow there (maybe a plugged screen in the pump if an automotive pump).

If good flow out of the pump outlet then suspect the little (very fine) screens in the tops of the carb needles are plugged (very few people know about those fine needle seatscreens). To check those screens, open all 4carb drain screws & check for a good fuel flow there, if poor flow after about 30 seconds of draining (give it the full 30 seconds) you will need to pull the carb float bowls or pull the carbs.

To get to thosecarb inlet screens you need to pull the carb float bowls & floatsto access the needle seats.

If the fuel flow out of the carb drains is good for AT LEAST 30 seconds then suspect an ignition problem like low coil voltage or other electrical problems like a failing ignition switch (somewhat common on the old Wings).

You might also check the fuel tank cap vent for being plugged as that will not allow good continuous fuel flow.

If you have a California sold bike make sure the PV system is working as that can effect the tank venting.

That 1200 should runeven without the fuel pump working as long as the tank is kept full, as long as the fuel system isn't plugged at some point.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

nathan,

if you've wired in your replacement pump to the same connections as the original, you need to check the fuel pump relay, under the coils, and alsothe spade connectors to the right coil and plug on the relay are in good condition.

The pump only runs when the right coil fires and then only if there is a demand for fuel at the carbs.

disconnect the supply hose to the carbs place in a bucket, kill switch to on(killswitch off and the pump won't run), turn engine over on the start pushand you should get fuelout of the pump which will run in time with the right coil (engine may start on residue fuel).

If the pump dosn't run the faults could be, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, connections, right coil failed, pulse coil failed.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

When I turn the key on.....the fuel pump does nothing.

When I attempt to start it....then the fuel pump works.

When I quit trying to start it and the key is still on....the fuel pump is still on. The only way to stop the fuel pump is to turn the key off. Shouldn't the pump stop whenever I stop trying to start the bike? Maybe it is suppose to be this way, but it just doesn't seem right.

This pump is wired in the same through the connector and is also mounted in the same location as the original.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Nathan wrote:
That's normal if the carb side of the fuel pump is full & pressurized (at least with the stock pump). Don't know on your automotive pump.
That is normal as the pump relay is energized while cranking.
When I quit trying to start it and the key is still on....the fuel pump is still on. The only way to stop the fuel pump is to turn the key off. Shouldn't the pump stop whenever I stop trying to start the bike? Maybe it is suppose to be this way, but it just doesn't seem right.
That seems to be normal as my personal 1200 does that very same thing.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Nathan wrote:
This new pump is working since fuel does come out. There are no leaks. Does anyone know what the original pump was rated for?

:11brown:
Nathan, the spec on the stock fuel pump is; 500cc (16.9oz) per minute. Test by pulling the fuel line from the carb side of the pump, then removing the fuel pump connector at the pump relay, then jumping the white & black wire togetheron the relay connector (on the harness side), then turning the ign switch on.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I apprecitate everyones help on getting this bike started. I won't be able to tinker with it for about a week probably...due to me having lasik eye surgery done to my eyes. Hopefully NO more glasses or contacts!:D

I will return and eventually get this running...at least I have more ideas on what might be wrong with this machine while my eyes are healing.

Thanks again....You ALL definately know the Goldwing!!!!! Great support! :)

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

Nathan wrote:

This pump is wired in the same through the connector and is also mounted in the same location as the original.
when I turn on my 1200 the fuel pump pumps quickly then slows done... it should kept on making the occasional pump when the bike is running. if your bike has say, I would sure suspect fuel problems especially after what you said about the filter. I have run a gas/carb cleaner combination into the carbd on my '78, let them sit, and then run the bike to clear out any sludge and varnish.
Hopefully the fuel in your tank when it sat did NOT have alcohol.... sure way to end up with water sitting on the bottom of the tank

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

I found the problem today!!!!!!

The problem......Between the Fuel Pump and the Carburetor, there is the T-fitting. Somehow, inlet of the T-fitting broke inside the fuel line blocking passage. It never leaked...it just stopped fuel.

Picked another T-fitting up at a local hardware store.......fixed it right up!

I want to thank everyonewho gave me suggestions and advise with this bike. I will definately come here often! Good work fellows!

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

Whew!!!!! Glad you got it straightened out. :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Maybe somthing for the rest of us with older wings to look out for, a stupid bit of plastic where there should be a brass/bronze fitting

well done for spotting it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.