Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have the 2005 1800 GW which has just over 1000m on the clock. While using reverse to park the bike in my garage, I took it out of reverse - clicked into 1st - moved forward p took it out of 1st into neutral, and put it into reverse again except this time the bike would not reverse. I switched off the bike and then tried to restart the bike which then would not start - motor did not turn. I though the battery may be low as I had not ridden the bike for 2 weeks but after checking (and recharging) the problem remains - bike will not start.

Has anyone had a similar experience and what needs to be done?

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks. I took off the 2 right panels to see whether some wiring had come loose and pulled around on the wiringI could see. I switched the ignition onto the "on" position and pressed in the RVS switch. I could see that the spring-loaded RVS mechanism seemed to be working perfectly that is turning fully from one side to the other. I then also took out each fuse - checked - and replaced. Lastly, pretty frustrated by now, I snapped the side stand into the up position.

The bike started and reverse works as well. This is a little unsettling as I do not know what the fault is (was). If it is perhaps something to do with the electrics I suspect it will recur. But in the meantime life goes on.

:cooldj:

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

Hi Robert and welcome to the forum. Your Goldwing won't start if the side-stand is in the down position and in gear. You may have had it slightly in gear or reverse and that's why it didn't start.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

DJ wrote:
Hi Robert and welcome to the forum. Your Goldwing won't start if the side-stand is in the down position and in gear. You may have had it slightly in gear or reverse and that's why it didn't start.
A few years back they decided to install a safety that prevents bikes from starting with the kick stand down, it's a "PITA", but maybe good for some riders?!:baffled:

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101,

I may hat myself for this one but what the #%@*! is a "PITA"?

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200A wrote:
wingdawg101,

I may hat myself for this one but what the #%@*! is a "PITA"?
Pain in the A*s !

Had a guy at work we named "Pita", he answered to it for years and never did question it!:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

:goofygrin: :grinner: I'll be using that one! :grinner: :goofygrin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.