Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Honda Goldwing SE. I parked the bike about 1 month ago and was starting great. Tried to start today and will turn over and not fire. I have with a good battery. kill switch is in right position, all fuses are good, Reverse switch lights work. I pull one of the plug wires and no power. What do I do next ??? Thanks Allen

·
Registered
101 Posts
Put at voltmeter accross batery terminals and check voltage when trying to start if its less than 10.5 it wont start. Battery can spin motor over fast but loose too much voltage to start.
I had same problem on a freinds and the good people on here diagnosed it perfectly

·
Premium Member
5,728 Posts
Are you sure there is no spark? That sounds suspicious. Try holding on to the plug wire. That would be extremely unlikely unless the battery is weak. Try this. Jump from a good fully charged battery to the bike. Not a running car though. If it starts we will explain. 😀

EDIT: Bryan explained while I was typing. Also try pumping the throttle several times if you live where it is cold. The bike does have an accelerator pump that will help in the cold when you pump the throttle.

·
Administrator
57,962 Posts
Back to what has already been said about the Battery Voltage.

The ECM will NOT fire the plugs if the Battery Voltage drops below ~10.5 volts during cranking.

So, your test proved nothing, except that the battery is bad.

Get an AGM battery, not a wet cell battery.
Then it will start BEFORE you release the Start Button.

.Assuming there is fuel in the carb bowls.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I will try tomorrow on the battery. If the battery checks out ok--and no spark on plugs--could it be the coil???

·
Premium Member
5,728 Posts
The 1500 has one coil per 2 cylinders so 3 coils woud have to fail. Not likely if it doesn't even try to start. Check out the battery. That is a good place to begin. Did you ever notice before that the bike starts when you release the start button? Another battery symptom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took battery out and put a full charge on it. Same thing. I put a new alternator in about 3 weeks ago and rode the bike and everything was fine. Could I have bumped something???

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Allen, You do know the following: Your starter is running and that proves that all components (fuses, relays, BAS, connections etc.) in the starting and ignition circuit up through and including the Kill switch is good. You probably have a "low voltage" supply to the ignition coils and the ECM. As others have recommended, check the battery first...! Even though you fully charged the battery, it could still be failing under a load test..... Changing the alternator should not have affected anything related to your problem. You could have a fuel supply issue but lets eliminate the electrical first.

·
Administrator
57,962 Posts
I took battery out and put a full charge on it. Same thing. I put a new alternator in about 3 weeks ago and rode the bike and everything was fine. Could I have bumped something???
is it a Wet Cell battery?
did you actually measure the battery voltage while the starter was engaged?
if the battery voltage drops below 11 volts ( 10.5 is the critical point ), the ECM will NOT fire the coils period.... that is programmed into the ECM.

just because the battery was fully charged, does not mean it will hold up under cranking load.

As has been mentioned, all of the junction points in the Starting Circuit wiring, must have clean and corrosion free connections. Check that all terminals are tight.

·
New Sidecar guy
81 Posts
I finally got my '98 down off the lift table after it sitting there since May. I had not planned on it sitting for so long so no treatment for the fuel. Fuel smelled bad but what do you do with 5 Gallons of old fuel? Rolled it out of the Garage, didn't want that "Old Fuel" smell to get in the house if it started. Took a lot of cranking with the Choke engaged to get it going but it finally sputtered to life.
Perhaps you are not letting it crank long enough?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was using an agm battery that cranked the engine fast with an extra jump pack attached BUT the voltage still fell and no spark YOU MUST check the voltage whilst cranking!!

·
Administrator
57,962 Posts
Yeah that's a scary proposal. I think I'd rather burn it through a $4K motorcycle than a $40K truck.
but, it is only 4 gallons of old gas at most, and mixed in with 30-40 gallons of new gas, the effect is negligible.

you can't just dump it out on the street... better to get it out....
for myself, I make sure to fill up with E0 pure gas for winter storage.

·
Administrator
24,666 Posts
Yeah that's a scary proposal. I think I'd rather burn it through a $4K motorcycle than a $40K truck.
If it will burn run it, won't hurt anything but may not run right.

·
Premium Member
5,728 Posts
You might have charged a bad battery. Try jumping from a big known healthy battery. It might take some cranking to get it to go. They can get lazy when they sleep for a while. 😀 :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Allen, You do know the following: Your starter is running and that proves that all components (fuses, relays, BAS, connections etc.) in the starting and ignition circuit up through and including the Kill switch is good. You probably have a "low voltage" supply to the ignition coils and the ECM. As others have recommended, check the battery first...! Even though you fully charged the battery, it could still be failing under a load test..... Changing the alternator should not have affected anything related to your problem. You could have a fuel supply issue but lets eliminate the electrical first.
Thanks, will do today and get back soon

·
New Sidecar guy
81 Posts
If it will burn run it, won't hurt anything but may not run right.
That's what I'm gonna do. I rode it for a few miles yesterday and what a dog.... Saturday I'm gonna burn the rest of the Tank, ( a bit more than half). Then put in some fresh fuel to see how it does. If it runs well enough to stand I'll remount the hack then make a plan to have the carbs done after the holidays.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts