Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
New Sidecar guy
81 Posts
don't forget to pour in a half can of Sea Foam, maybe the whole can to the old fuel.
Already added a half container of Techron. Any germs in there should be gone by now....LOL

·
Administrator
57,962 Posts
Had the battery checked today and under a load it showed 10.5 amp
that don't sound very good to me, most Goldwing batteries, at a minimum, will produce 220 CCA.
some will produce 330 CCA.
I think you need to get new AGM battery and quit fighting it.

·
Premium Member
5,728 Posts
Had the battery checked today and under a load it showed 10.5 amp
Not sure who tested the battery but that makes no sense. A good battery should have at least 10 volts when 1/2 of the CCA load is applied. For example if your battery is rated at 300 CCA and you put a load of 150 amps (one half of 300) the voltage of the battery should be around 10 volts with that load applied for 15 seconds.
Have you tried jumping the bike off a fully charged battery yet?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Not sure who tested the battery but that makes no sense. A good battery should have at least 10 volts when 1/2 of the CCA load is applied. For example if your battery is rated at 300 CCA and you put a load of 150 amps (one half of 300) the voltage of the battery should be around 10 volts with that load applied for 15 seconds.
Have you tried jumping the bike off a fully charged battery yet?
I am going to try and jump it off today. My battery showed 400 CCA and he put it under a 200 amps and it showed 10.5 volts.

·
Premium Member
5,728 Posts
I am going to try and jump it off today. My battery showed 400 CCA and he put it under a 200 amps and it showed 10.5 volts.
Ahhh, that makes sense. That is an excellent battery if that is the case. How sure are you that the bike has no spark. Given all the info that would be extremely unusual. I just wonder if you came to a bad conclusion on that part. When they sleep for a while it can be hard to start some of them. In the spring I always just give mine a sniff of ether and save all the cranking. It fires right up. Without ether she doesn't do so well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well the bike finally started----a new battery and took the air filter out and gave it a little starting fuel and it cranked. I want to thank everybody who has helped me 😁

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
I would also put new plugs in. My old 1500 was very hard to start if the temperature was below 60, and hadn`t been driven for awhile. I just left it alone unless it was to be driven at least 50 miles. Starting it up, and let it idle for a while is a waste of time. Keep using the Seafoam.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I have a 1998 Honda Goldwing SE. I parked the bike about 1 month ago and was starting great. Tried to start today and will turn over and not fire. I have with a good battery. kill switch is in right position, all fuses are good, Reverse switch lights work. I pull one of the plug wires and no power. What do I do next ??? Thanks Allen
I'd check the "Pulse Generators". They are the devises that send pulses to the coils to tell them when to fire.Check the manual or do a Goggle search, there are plenty of articles on the procedure. As these bikes get older, I'm seeing these fail more and more frequently. Just my two cents worth. Good luck!

·
Administrator
57,962 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well the bike finally started----a new battery and took the air filter out and gave it a little starting fuel and it cranked. I want to thank everybody who has helped me 😁
It's always wise to keep the bike or any equipment on a battery tender maintainer. that sits idle for more than a few days.

It saves the charging system from recovering the lost battery voltage after start up.

Battery Maintainers are cheap these days.

Batteries not so much so!!

Your choice!

·
Administrator
57,962 Posts
Cold Wx is hard on batteries that are not kept topped off.
If for no other reason, that should be enough to keep a Battery Tender plugged in.

I make it a habit to plug in Battery Tenders on all of my bikes, golf car, lawn equipment, RV, and occasionally the Suburban when the temps drop to Zero or worse.... it does not get used everyday, sometimes not for a few weeks.

. the Golf Car batteries are HUGELY EXPENSIVE, I recently bought a brand new Solid State Pulse Width modulation type charger for it, it senses slight drops in battery volts, and will kick on again for a few minute to top them off. ( the Factory charger is 20 years old and useless below 75*F, it won't even turn on at lower temps )

21 - 35 of 35 Posts