Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, my arm is twisted to go darkside. gonna do the austone back tire and the avon venom front tire.

what front tires are you using with the austone:confused:

what do you guys think about this combo? feel free to chime in if you have tried this.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
I am using the Pilot Activ myself as a recommendation from 'Dusty Boots'. 4500 miles on the Austone/Pilot combo without issue.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
<!--INSERT SOUNDBYTE OF THE STAR WARS IMPERIAL MARCH HERE-->

You may feel your arm is being twisted, but I can assure you that you will convert to the darkside "all too easy."

The Austone is a tried and true choice for the 1500 but will raise the rear a bit. I will attest that I prefer the discontinued Dunlop WinterSport, which lowers things but makes it danged hard to get on the centerstand.

I'll 'prolly move to the Austine when my current tire wears out... maybe some time in 2035.

Come my son!

Come to the darkside and we'll rule the galaxy together.

We have cookies!

T

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
<!--INSERT SOUNDBYTE OF THE STAR WARS IMPERIAL MARCH HERE-->

You may feel your arm is being twisted, but I can assure you that you will convert to the darkside "all too easy."

The Austone is a tried and true choice for the 1500 but will raise the rear a bit. I will attest that I prefer the discontinued Dunlop WinterSport, which lowers things but makes it danged hard to get on the centerstand.

I'll 'prolly move to the Austine when my current tire wears out... maybe some time in 2035.

Come my son!

Come to the darkside and we'll rule the galaxy together.

We have cookies!

T
So THATS it. Its a stinker to roll back and onto the center stand. I know I'm old and weak but SHEESH!!!!!

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Pilot Active up front, 10,000 miles on both, Vredestein. 175/75-16 rear.,42 psi front, 55 psi rear tire pressures. Both are surfooted in the twisties and rain.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Pilot Active up front, 10,000 miles on both, Vredestein. 175/75-16 rear.,42 psi front, 55 psi rear tire pressures. Both are surfooted in the twisties and rain.
I can't believe how well these NON motorcycle tires hold the road, considering how they're NOT supposed to according to some. Theres not a lot of twisties around here but theres a few. I ride them consistantly and I can scrape the pegs regularly. Not bad for the second heavest wing they make. Certainly no zoom splat. My son always gives me a hard time because he has a Yamaha YZF 600 or something like that. Its a 600cc.

·
Administrator
27,900 Posts
OK guys, SmartBiker and us385south, spell checker here. What the heck is PROLLY? If you are going to butcher "probably" at least make it understandable to us ******** and use "probly".
Sorry if I offend but I just couldn't stop myself.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
It happens.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,631 Posts
I find it harder to butcher the King's English than to just spell it all out.

But then, I am a 'touch typist' and don't look at the keys anyway. In fact, I do a better job of typing if I close my eyes than I do trying to watch the screen. The disconnect from keystroke to seeing the character appear is way too slow for me to use effectively. That delay always causes me to come up with broken words.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
OK guys, SmartBiker and us385south, spell checker here. What the heck is PROLLY? If you are going to butcher "probably" at least make it understandable to us ******** and use "probly".
Sorry if I offend but I just couldn't stop myself.
Dave... no orifice taken. I picked that up from Bike and Dennis.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
I run the Bridgestone BattlaAx BT45 (sport bike rear tire) on the FRONT of my Wing (reversed at 41PSI) for the past 19,000+miles. The front is cupped and bouncy at 30MPH but I spend little time there so it works fine. I will change it in spring...just because it annoys me, although the tread will still be useable for while I would guess..

The REAR is a VREDESTEIN COMTRAC 175-75 at 44 PSI. I would bet I can get 40K miles on it. It was a great tire for this purpose with a load rating in excess of 1000 lbs, 6 plys and 11/32 deep tread to start with a max cold pressure over 60 lbs.

The Austone is almost a duplicate of that tire and many report great results with it.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
I like and still use the old Stone, good price, wears o.k., good overall traction, only problem (if you can call it that) I can say is sometimes louder than others.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Avon Cobra is the latest version of the front tyre for an 1800 and I am loving mine, since I changed from my Bridgestone of the past.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
I'm on my 2nd BT45R on the front of my wing, With the 1st - I got approx 18,000 miles with similar cupping to wingconsin's tire. The center is still useable so it's now a spare. This time I"m running forward direction to see if there is a difference,
Pete I have the Cobra on my Shadow & like it just fine.

Ride on

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.