Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ive got a very nice 89 1500 with 165000 sidecar miles on it :applause:

It's getting a tick in it when the oil warms. Not bad but a tick.

I love the bike, but would like the fuel injected 1800 .

Is that possable:praying:OK I know anything is possable with enough money.

Is it comparable in size and fit, or are there lots of changes?

Thanks Terry:waving:

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
imported post

That would be a fun project,do you have a wrecked gl1800 to get all the parts from? you would need Engine,wiring,fuel system,exhaust with ox sensors,ECM.with the 1500 you have a steel frame so making the mounts for the 1800 wouldnt be all that bad.

·
Honda Guru
2,053 Posts
imported post

You'll spend more trying to wedge in the 1800….if it would be possible. Just buy a good used 1800.. you'll be time and money ahead.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Either one would be ridiculously expensive. Even though the earliest 1800s are more than 10 years old now, the price of one is absolutely outrageous. Usually about $10,000 more than a nice 1500. One of the reasons why it seems odd to me that people make switching from an 1500 to an 1800 seem like such an easy thing. Most 1800s are going for around $15,000 and up on Craigslist, while 1500s are $5000-$6000. I could barely afford a 1500, and wouldn't even consider paying $15000 for a several year old Goldwing. That's more than a HD Electra Glide Classic of the same age costs.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

Put some seafoam in the motor, run it for a few hundred miles, change the oil and see if the ticking stopped. Sounds like a partially blocked oil passage. Also, you could try running 20w/50 in er. I'd run that 1500 motor til she died personally. It could run another 100,000 miles with that tick, who knows.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The 1800 engine won't fit. It has been tried, and it just doesn't go into the 1500 frame.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
imported post

Check out these new Goldwing 1800 year 2010 at Schroaders Honda in North Carolinga. He has Yellow and Red ones. Price is $17999.00 US dollars.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

BHAZLET wrote:
Check out these new Goldwing 1800 year 2010 at Schroaders Honda in North Carolinga. He has Yellow and Red ones. Price is $17999.00 US dollars.
They UP't it already since your post.

SaleUNTIL 09-30-2011

Them bug'rz :whip:

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
Either one would be ridiculously expensive. Even though the earliest 1800s are more than 10 years old now, the price of one is absolutely outrageous. Usually about $10,000 more than a nice 1500. One of the reasons why it seems odd to me that people make switching from an 1500 to an 1800 seem like such an easy thing. Most 1800s are going for around $15,000 and up on Craigslist, while 1500s are $5000-$6000. I could barely afford a 1500, and wouldn't even consider paying $15000 for a several year old Goldwing. That's more than a HD Electra Glide Classic of the same age costs.
Most 01-03s 1800s are going at under $11K even at dealers. So unless your selling 1500s for under $1000, Jerry, which I'd buy 2 or 3 at that price for a "nice one". I didn't give but 15K for my 05 2 years ago with only 12,105 miles and extended warranty and several aftermarket and upgrades on it. I got about 6K out of my 1500 trade in with high mileage on it. I walked out and hopped on the 1800 for a hair over9k. So I don't know where your doing your shopping at. But as far as the question goes, no, the 1800 won't fit, but with enough money, time and determination, it could be made to fit.:smiler:

Gene:action:

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
wouldn't even consider paying $15000 for a several year old Goldwing. That's more than a HD Electra Glide Classic of the same age costs.
But the wing is worth it, the harley isn't.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Biker John wrote:
JerryH wrote:
wouldn't even consider paying $15000 for a several year old Goldwing. That's more than a HD Electra Glide Classic of the same age costs.
Man you have that right. Most people I know that have HD's only have them because they think it's cool.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

ceasefire49 wrote:
Biker John wrote:
JerryH wrote:
Man you have that right. Most people I know that have HD's only have them because they think it's cool.
Actually you're right. I don't think ANY motorcycle is worth $15,000. I do like Goldwings (admittedly mostly the 4 cylinder models, the bigger ones have kind of gotten away from my definition of a "motorcycle" I also like Harleys, Japanese cruisers, dual sport bikes, and used to ride sportbikes a lot, but am no longer physically able too. There actually very few bikes I don't like, but I have never liked a bike because I thought other people thought it was cool. One thing I am not is trendy, and bashing of other bikes by Harley riders is what has kept me out of that crowd. I just hope that Goldwing riders are not bike bashers too.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
imported post

You can find used 1500 engine for not much $$$. 1500 is lot better for sidecar use(steel frame).

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Thanks for all the replyes . I like the 1500 over the 1800's in the looks department. The fuel injection and fuel mileage would be nice on the 1800 if it was possable to swop. Looks like some more seafoam and 20/50 oil until death do us part.

Thanks Terry

·
751 Posts
imported post

englishted wrote:
The 1800 engine won't fit. It has been tried, and it just doesn't go into the 1500 frame.
Hey I bet the 1500 would fit into 1800 frame & With Turbo now thats a bike that would get up & go & would also handle in the turns things that make you go Hummmmm !:smiler:

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Even if you are good with a cutting torch and welder, I'm thinking adapting the fuel injection and electrical would be quite a challenge.

John

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.