Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Does anyone know of a product or homemade fix to stop the wind flow blowing up my pant leg while riding my 1500?
It's irritating and uncomfortable on cold days.
Seems to come from under the engine just ahead of the foot pegs on both sides.
My buddy has 1500 with driver running boards and does not experience this problem.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Bulldog clips, small bungies, rubber bands come to mind.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

bul dog clips are the sprung metal clips used to hold bunches of paper together, usually have holes in the flat squeezable bits to hang the things up on an office hook. :)

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

How about a cuff clip. Used to keep the pant leg out of the bicycle chain. Small bungies as mentioned above are not that far fetched. Some service members use blousing rubbers to form the cuff at the top of their boots.

Terry

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Another quick and easy solution might be some velcro loops simply wrapped around the bottom of your trousers.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

terry_208 wrote:
Some service members use blousing rubbers to form the cuff at the top of their boots.

Terry
I have to ask... What are blousing rubbers?

Thanks!

JimC in NC (USA)

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

None of these fixes sound very visually pleasing.
Perhaps I'll have to see if I can mount some plexiglass pieces somewhere to deflect the wind. I did see some products online by Baker Built called Foot Wings, but I don't know if they solve the problem or not.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

Blousing rubbersare simply small twisted bands of elastic (od green)about 4.5 in. untensioned and 6 in. stretched tight with stainless steel hooks on each end which hook together. Oh gee, kinda sounds like a miniature bungee cord. They are used instead of tucking the pants legs into combat boots. They hold the trousers in an unseen seam and can keep creepy crawly things out of the pants legs. Large rubber bands are often substituted.

Sorry for being so long winded.

Terry

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

busdriver wrote:
None of these fixes sound very visually pleasing.
Perhaps I'll have to see if I can mount some plexiglass pieces somewhere to deflect the wind. I did see some products online by Baker Built called Foot Wings, but I don't know if they solve the problem or not.
It should be an easy enough job to just attatch some sort of board temporarily in various positions to see what works to deflect the air for you and then get either the wind wings or fashion some plexiglass.

One thing I might ask is what kind of boots or trousers do you wear, only I have never really experienced a draught up the pant leg on any of the Wings I have owned?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Heheheh, I had to search the web and check, But yes the Blousing Rubbers of today are really either rubber or like a mini Bungie.

In my day, ( Listen to me, Sounds like an Old Foggie ) The Blousing Bands were made from a metal Spring and they still were OD Green. I still have some squirreled away somewhere from the USMC.

Can't beat a rubber band though, Small, Light, Cheap and easy to have a few stuck away in a pocket or saddlebag somewhere.

For the real cold rides, Don't forget to take sections of newspaper, Fold them length wise and slide it up your pant legs. One section will cover the front of your leg from almost your crotch to your ankle.

Another section across your chest under your leathers will stop any small drafts from sneaking past the zipper too.

I Guarantee you will feel much warmer then.

Now that was taught to me by a real old time rider many years ago on a long trip in Freezing weather.

And you have paper to start a fire if you need too. Grin

I have enjoyed extended rides in 16 Degree F. for hours this way and thank that old timer every time I use the trick.

I have ridden with others that were close to tears due to the cold and even a couple GUYS that swore by wearing Girls Stockings.

I never could face myself for even trying that though.

Their point was some football players wear stockings for winter playing.

But I figure any football guys that pat each other on the Ass are libel to wear anything.

Just my Opinion.

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Mohawk wrote:
Can't beat a rubber band though, Small, Light, Cheap and easy to have a few stuck away in a pocket or saddlebag somewhere.

For the real cold rides, Don't forget to take sections of newspaper,
And you have paper to start a fire if you need too. Grin

I have enjoyed extended rides in 16 Degree F. for hours this way and thank that old timer every time I use the trick.

I have ridden with others that were close to tears due to the cold and even a couple GUYS that swore by wearing Girls Stockings.

I never could face myself for even trying that though.

Just my Opinion.

Mohawk
Another good thing about the news paper is that you can sit and read it too, if you get too cold and have to stop.:cheeky1:

Laugh if you must, but ladies stockings can be another useful tool in what you carry. We use a short one, ( called pop socks over here), to make a brilliant brew of coffee. Just slip one into your mug with the toe inside and the top folded back over the top of the mug. One heaped spoonful of ground coffee and pour in the boiling water. When desired strength is reached, remove stocking complete with grounds and turn inside out to remove grounds and rinse. All ready for the next mug of steaming coffee. :)No short stocking?.... cut a long one down and use the rubber bands mentioned by Mowhawk to secure the stocking to the mug rim. :clapper:

As per usual I have diversified a bit, so to bring things back on track, in emergency, supermarket carrier bags make great foot warmers if your little toesies are getting somewhat cold. Work for cold hands too. :waving:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

In consideration of all this wind infiltration and really thinking about it all, I have never had the problem of wind blowing up my pants leg.

I have had the occasional problem of wind blowing down my pants leg............

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

Red Green would recommend good ol duct tape.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

beachbuddy0253 wrote:
do have to take them off her foot to do this or can you warm her toes all at the same time
That would depend on how you like your coffee to taste!!!!!:shock::cheeky1:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.