Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've seen posts for Kuryakyn, Bakers, Show Chrome, etc. For the 1500, which one works the best, or are they all the same? Thanks in advance...

Bill

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I can only speak for the Baker wings, and I like them. They work well. Only one thing, and it's not a big deal, you have to tighten the lock nuts with a wrench if you have the upper or lower wings too. The lock nuts stay in place pretty well though. I only had to tighten mine once in the 7100+ mile trip to Calhoun and back, and that was only because we got in some very high gusty winds, the kind that about throw you off the road when the trucks go by.

John

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I guess I need to add something too. My wife has noticed the cooler air on her legs when we went on our toy run this weekend. That's about the only thing she complained about. Will these assist with that too? Compared to my V-Star, I am fine with the lack of wind. I stopped riding around 30-35 degrees. I've already rode around 27 degrees and this bike is nifty all around.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

My 1500 had Baker Wing on it when I bought it. I was going to take them off because they are UGLY. After deciding to give them a chance to prove themselves to me I kept them and really like them. They help keep the cold off in the winter and bring much needed air blast around the fairing on hot days. Hard to beat Baker Wings quality too.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Buy a pair of JC Whitney wings. They work just fine and are quite a bit cheaper than the Bakers(IIRC). I've had mine on for four years with no problems except I've use nylon stop nuts underneath the faux chrome tighteners.

Hobie
Oh the Bakers are the one on the right of the composite pic.

Attachments

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

A few issues with you suggestion Hobie.

1. According to his profile, he's riding a 1500, but the only wind deflectors I find at JCWhitney are for the 1100 & 1200.

2. If they did have them for the 1500, it would likely require drilling like it does for the right side 1200 wing. The Baker's use existing mount points.

3. With the JCW brand, you get the choice of smoke color, period. The bakers give you several colors to choose from.

4. You can buy individual parts for the Baker brand should you need them. You can't for the JCW version.

John

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I like the idea of not drilling. Not sure if it'll be worth anything later on in its life, but I have a 91 10th Anniversary Edition with only 15K miles now (bought it with 12K). No holes drilled on it so far, kinda want to keep it that way if possible.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

Our small town boasts few GoldWings, and I saw a 2004 today after voting, waited and spoke with it's owner. He had all the deflectors for his, showed me how they worked, and was really pleased with them. His were smoke colored, which went with his bike color well, and seeing some in person helped me decide I want some NOW. I LIKE being warm!

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
A few issues with you suggestion Hobie.

1. According to his profile, he's riding a 1500, but the only wind deflectors I find at JCWhitney are for the 1100 & 1200.

2. If they did have them for the 1500, it would likely require drilling like it does for the right side 1200 wing. The Baker's use existing mount points.

3. With the JCW brand, you get the choice of smoke color, period. The bakers give you several colors to choose from.

4. You can buy individual parts for the Baker brand should you need them. You can't for the JCW version.

John
And your point is?:)All right I was having an "off" day. You're correct. But, I do like my JCWs for my 1100.

Have a good one my friend.:waving:

Hobie

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
And your point is?:)All right I was having an "off" day. You're correct. But, I do like my JCWs for my 1100.

Have a good one my friend.:waving:

Hobie
NP bud. I can see from your avatar that you're having a bad day. :cheeky1::cheeky1: Now lets talk about mana. :dude:

John

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

I have the Baker wings on my bike, I put them on, and I wouldn't take them off for anything.

One more thing about the Baker wings that they don't advertise, but that I found out myself: If your bike falls over (i.e. you lean it over onto the sidestand when the sidestand isn't down, ask me how I know this) and you manage to whack one of the wings hard with your knee as you are hopping off as the bike is going down, instead of breaking your fairing where the wing is mounted, the plastic part of the wing comes off its mounts instead. The actual wing is mounted to its metal mounts with plastic screws, so that the screws are the weak point and break instead of your fairing. They sell replacement screws on their web site.

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
I have the Baker wings on my bike, I put them on, and I wouldn't take them off for anything.

One more thing about the Baker wings that they don't advertise, but that I found out myself: If your bike falls over (i.e. you lean it over onto the sidestand when the sidestand isn't down, ask me how I know this) and you manage to whack one of the wings hard with your knee as you are hopping off as the bike is going down, instead of breaking your fairing where the wing is mounted, the plastic part of the wing comes off its mounts instead. The actual wing is mounted to its metal mounts with plastic screws, so that the screws are the weak point and break instead of your fairing. They sell replacement screws on their web site.
Yep, forgot to mention that. But this also reminded me of something else. As the plexiglass ages, it gets more brittle. That makes it easier to break if you bump it, drop your bike, etc. Since Baker sells all the parts, you can buy justthe plexiglass part too if you break it.

John

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

As I mentioned above, I saw wind wings for the first time in person Tuesday. The fellow showed me how he could swing them to deflect wind/air into or off of riders for more comfort. One of the wings was just behind the side engine heat exhaust, where he could bring that warm engine heat right onto the driver. I'm wanting that....anyone know which ones for sure they are? The descriptions I'm seeing don't mention that particular warming feature.

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

chesterwgunn wrote:
In my opinion, they all seem overpriced...but what do I know...
Of course they are! Aren't all motorcycle accessories? ...and boat accessories, and airplane accessories... :D

flashya2 wrote:
One of the wings was just behind the side engine heat exhaust, where he could bring that warm engine heat right onto the driver. I'm wanting that....anyone know which ones for sure they are? The descriptions I'm seeing don't mention that particular warming feature.
Not sure what brand would do that for sure, but the lowers on the Baker wings probably would. I have just the regular and uppers on my bike, because the lowers would get in the way of getting on my cruise pegs, but the position of the lowers would be such that they would tend to direct the heat coming off the engine on you when opened a little. Take a look at them on the baker site.
http://www.bakerbuilt.com/home.htm
Here's the Bakers with uppers and lowers on a 1500.

John

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I haven't tried it but it looks like if you removed the 'ear' just behind the radiator air outlet you'd get warm air from the radiators on your legs. I think that little piece of fairing was an afterthough from Honda to reduce the hot air getting around behind the fairing. Wouldn't take much time to do the experiment.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

I installed the showchrome air deflecters on my 1500. They are a one piece design. They are large enough to either block allot of cold air or bring in allot of air on warm days. They will come loose like anything else that is movable but are easily tightened without tools with the large chrome hand nut on top. Anything that goes lower would get in the way of highway pegs or boards. They come in smoke, clear, and red. They require no drilling. You can see them here...

http://www.chromeworld.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=254&categoryID=89

as for the exit trim for the fairing behind the radiator, instead of removing it and leaving holes were the tabs would normally connect it you can get a narrow version that is chrome that also allows for more leg room around the fairing. I also had this on my 1500 and it made it much easier to reach the highway boards. The narrow exit trim is here...

http://www.chromeworld.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=377&categoryID=97

·
12,840 Posts

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

Baker's looks most like what I saw, and want. Doesn't seem to be a lot of different makes out there, so shouldn't be too hard, right??

THANKS for the advice guys!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.