Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Does anyone have pictures as to how Wind Deflectors mount to the fairing on a 1984 Interstate, the installationinstructions are "Vague" at best and impossible to understand.:?

Pictures are worth a thousand words!

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

This pops up, Keith..

You do not have permission for this operation.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

mikef wrote:
This pops up, Keith..

Does it to me too

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

Hello,

A search here should produce some photos of wind wings:

http://gl1200goldwings.com/index.php

I have read that that the instructions for installing are not great, and the screws etc provided are not good enough to hold them in place safely.

there is apparently about 100lb pressure on these, and the the abs plastic, where are attached has been known to blow out.

I currently am trying too to think a of a safe way of installing them, maybe metal strips, both front and back of abs plastic, with bolts top and bottom.

good luck,

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I had them on one of my 1200's and they were a PIA. The mounting brackets are not engineered very well, and they do tend to break out, as soon as the plastics age and from sun exposure. I ended up reinforcing them from behind with thin strips of flat stock and using lock washers and nuts.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
imported post

mikef wrote:
This pops up, Keith..

I'm not sure what's up with this but it worked for me.

When your in the file, under the "no thumbnail" click on the date in red and the pic will come up.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

the left side mounts using two existing bolts on the blank cover where the cb should be located. i think you have to drill on the right side. mine has two holes on the fairing.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

mikef wrote:
This pops up, Keith..

same for me

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for the information William, that's what I thought but I didn't want to go drilling holes without first checking with others.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

I could not bring myself to drillholesinto my 23 year old Goldwing so I made a bracket for the right side and used exsiting bolts and then mounted the wind deflector to the bracket without drilling into the fairing.

I am at work right now but if you want, I can post some pictures of the bracketwhen I get home.

Take Care - Jim

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

Rick G wrote:
Does anyone have pictures as to how Wind Deflectors mount to the fairing on a 1984 Interstate, the installationinstructions are "Vague" at best and impossible to understand.:?

Pictures are worth a thousand words!
Hello Rick G , I apoligize for not getting back to you sooner with the bracket pictures, But in my defence we have had a lot of bad weather, floods, landslides here in the North West and I have been working 16 hour days putting up Electric poles and wires.

Here are two Pics of the bracket I made for my right side wind deflector. The first Pic shows the glove dept. without it's top and you can see where I used the two bottom bolts to hold the top of the bracket and I used anotherfairing bolt to hold the bottom of the bracket, The second pic shows the glove dept. with the lid on and locked. This bracket has about 4 thousand miles of riding on it and ithasn't moved yet.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/5596/ppuser/6551

Take Care - Jim

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

those brackets are a great idea, thanks very much Jim,

cheers,

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Installed them in 87 in California, never had any problems with cracking on the mounting. They are mounted on the fairing edging this gives 3 thicknesses of plastic to hold the mounts.

Some tall people say that they interfere with their legs but these have adjustments to raise or lower the position.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.