Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Wind Screen Coating.

This subject came up oh, a month or so ago and daamm if I can trace it back to the source to add the below testimonial. I am always tinkering trying this and that to make things better and thought this warranted your eyeballs to view the below.

OK, here it is.

Cleaned the screen and face shield of my full helmet with soap and water taking care to remove bug sludge and thoroughly dried.

Applied RAINCOAT per instruction on the box using all supplied materials.
Note: apply very sparingly. A very thin well worked in application of the wax does the trick. This must be done in the shade, out of heat. Let the coating thoroughly cure out 45 min. (go have lunch)

Buff off the wax coating with the supplied cloth, turning the cloth every so often. Review this buff off procedure in various light so no streaks are shown. It took me 3 or 4 times to get the screen absolutely clear...no streaks. (windscreen interior was coated as well)

The next week took me from Detroit down to Sarasota and home with about 1300 miles, with all the messing around Atlanta included.

The bike has been washed three times with auto soap solutions and dried off with a cloth.

The water still beads up almost as the day it was applied.

With the rainy season in full swing here, daily sprinkles and hard rains contribute to this testimonial.

The big water drops collecting are a thing of the past as the wind blows the water off better than any other product I have used. Little droplets are left that you can see around causing no issue. The droplets move up and blow off most of my screen. Some however move up and down the inside of the screen and then move off.

Bugs: Almost the same thing can be said of the bugs on this trip. They make contact for sure but most of the meat is gone. The real test of course is our very famous Love Bug hatchings, 2 times a year. When these babies hit the screen it's a double whammy as there are two of them and the juice is very acidic seems to weld to the surface, making the clean up really tough. (This is my Acid Test for you accounting majors):ROFL::ROFL

Check this site out www.motosolutions.com

My internet purchase was the smallest amount offered, where 5 little packs of wax and applicator with buffing cloth are provided in a small box. The little packs can be resealed for future use. This set up will probably last me a year if not longer.

The biggest complain in the internet resulted from the used to way too much wax. (as the CongFue guy said right hand applies the wax the left takes it off)::whip::whip:

Hope this helps, Ned

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Well, I gotta say, You had completely different results than I did. I applied it several times over the past few weeks exactly as the instruction say, with no luck. Water doesn't "Roll" right off, it does eventually blow off, but honestly, it would blow off easier if I hadn't applied it. I originally just though it was the older plexiglass, because at night it also turns a whitish color, like it's fogging up, but we applied it to our new face shield on our helmets and got a little better results but nothing to write home about.

I got a spray can of Pledge furniture Polish and tried it, it works good. Not great (I would consider great like Rain X on glass) but 10 x better than Rain coat. Not a Winner in my book.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Well Jobe, you may have hit on something as the surface of the substrate possibly being porous or rough.

Here's my theory on this.
My screen and face shield being new are about as smooth and non porous as they could be. I rubbed the material into imaginary porosity to fill in any defects leaving the thinnest build up possible. (Really worked the material in to the point of hardly seeing it).

Really hard buffing was required to clean the wax off, leaving any porosity filled and the surrounding area smooth and clean.

The water on this super clean smooth surface has nothing to catch onto and slides off.

Hope this helps.

As for other waxes and Lemon Pledge included, I have had good results with these as well.

I my case the new wind screen has a design issue that directs air flow in such a way to reduce the buffeting affect over the helmet. This is why I purchased it. However this design unfortunately renders the water removal, by the now slowed air stream much more difficult.

Sorry about the confusion here, I can barely understand it myself.

Ned

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Theres no doubt that the older windscreen has an effect on how well raincoat works, or in my case doesn't. And yes, my helmet shield is protected very well by the windscreen. I would have to keep lifting up to get the shield in the wind to get the water off.

I applied a thin coat of rain coat, let it sit the required time, rubbed off...... till my arm fell off, nothing. The next time I added a whole package to the windscreen, Both sides and the winglets on the sides, let it sit for an hour. That took a lot to scrub off, as a matter fact there was a small area near the bottom of the shield I had to use a moist rag to finally get off, it was on there pretty good.

Im sure it's a good product and does what it says it can do, but under curtain circumstances, like newer windscreens, not old ones. I have tried it my sons bike that has a new windscreen but he hasn't been in the rain lately, so no report on that.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
imported post

Just ordered some Raincoat today for my 2000 1500 with a TALL windshield. Leave for a weekend trip on the 23rd so if it rains I'll report how it does.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
imported post

I was thinking about buying Raincoat, but now I'm having second thoughts if it only works on new screens.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Wilson02 wrote:
I was thinking about buying Raincoat, but now I'm having second thoughts if it only works on new screens.
Understood, my screen had 12K on it and a lot of that was well over 70MPH with something called LoveBug juice / meat applied.

The cost is minimal for what it does. You can not apply this wax thin enough.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Wilso02, Please don't buy it based on my experience, really. I have tried a few products and for mine, Pledge is the only thing that doesn't turn it white, or should I say.... More white when it rains. It's cheap enough to try, and you may have a different experience altogether. but if you don't, then like me, it's time for a new wind shield.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
imported post

Just got back from a three day trip and I'm sorry to say there was WAY too much rain. But the good news is that the RainCoat I applied before leaving worked great. Riding on the interstate in the cold, dark, rain and wind, at least I was able to SEE! Anywhere under 45 mph or so it just beads up, which still is a help, but cruising was so much easier. Now I just need to get some waterproof gloves

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

I've used Pledge for years....on all and everything! Windscreen, faceshield, bike (all surfaces)... stuff's a marvel for us riders! I use a short windscreen that I can always see over, and I wear a full-face helmet all the time. Just a slight weave of my head during a rainy ride causes any water on my face shield to skitter off instantly, like grease on a hot skillet!

The only time my darling Pledge ever failed me was when I got fancy, and decided that I liked the smell of orange Pledge better than the standard lemon..... I liked it, and so did every yellowjacket and wasp in three counties! Got so I couldn't even get near my own parked bike! I'm now back to the lemon variety! Lol....

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,918 Posts
imported post

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/6SzwDvPsKpA&feature=player_embedded&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

if you count the sprays in the video he sprays about 8 times on the left and 13 on

the right of coarse it is going to run off more on the right

make it fair is all I'm saying

i use raincoat and think its great

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

laydeane wrote:
if you count the sprays in the video he sprays about 8 times on the left and 13 on

the right of coarse it is going to run off more on the right

make it fair is all I'm saying

i use raincoat and think its great

Interesting,

Raincoat works for me too. Pledge is a real quick backup however.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
imported post

I have had really good results using just a plain interior/plastic protectorant. Doesn't seem to matter if it's Armour-all, Son-of-a-Gun, F-21, or Murrays. Spray on and wipe off with a SOFT rag. Rain water beads and rolls off and bug splatter comes right off. It doesn't leave any marks on the windshield, either.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

I have used RAINCOAT for the last couple of months and couldnt be more pleased with it, my wind screen is not new by any means with a few scratches and chips but overall in good shape. Before I used pledge daily and still do on the rest of the bike but RAINCOAT is all that I use on my windscreen and faceshield and also on my riding glasses, often I wear a half helmet with just glasses.

Yesterday it was raining as I left work and the 50 mile ride home was no problem the rain moves right off. The only time it dosent go away as fast is below 40 mph but it builds up quickly into large drops and gravity does the rest, Im sold.:applause:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Well, Rain Coat might be marginally better, but also "pricier...."

http://store.motosolutions.com/clearvision/A.html

And how much is a can of Pledge? $2.50? (Price is an issue for us old retired guys!)

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Also, how about availability? If I run my can of Pledge dry, I can dash into any old "Piggley Wiggley" and stock up... doubtful there's any "Rain Coat" on their shelves......

I guess I'm just stuck in my ways; Pledge and I go back a long, long way.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.